Used 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Trouble since i got it
By bosslady443

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my chevy from a local dealership here in Sumter, South Carolina..from the day that i picked it up from the dealership a week after i purchased it. Well problem 1. check engine light keeps appearing 2. the temperature gage keep fluctating 3. when shifted into reverse it rattles... I am so ready to take this vehicle back to the dealership..i do believe that it will only get worse. Please HELP if there is anyone else out there who have been experiencing these issues, your assistance is greatly appreciated

Favorite Features

the interior is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

engine performance

not happy
By nothappyall1

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2005 new. The 2nd month I had it, a part in the transmission broke. Then the lift gate lock and the CD did not work properly fixed under warranty. Just out of warranty (14 months old) side mirror switch,$40, the ABS sensor went bad, $200, Then the upper strut plates and a strut went bad, $300. Since then, the ABS sensor went bad again, both struts and upper plates replaced again $472. The wiring harness in the driver door (Which controlls the speaker, locks, alarm, and dinger) was replaced $200. The rear hub replaced $255. The paint on the interior doors and on the radio buttons is chipping off. The fabric is not easy to clean. The CD changer just broke. I did not get my $'s worth

Favorite Features

I like the rear sliding back seat. It handles well in the snow. I like to be able to fold down only half of the backseat. The front passenger seat folds down flat. (I used it as a baby changing table on road trips). I like the roof rack. I did like the CD changer until now it just broke.

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts. The Abs sensor, the upper strut plates and struts went bad twice. It would be nice to adjust the lumbar part of the drivers seat, it took me a few months to get used to it. A map light would be nice, my car has the light fixture in the middle of the ceiling and it is awkward to flip the switch. It would be nice if there was a low windshield washer fulid light. Fabric that hides stains. (I have 2 kids and 2 dogs, my fabric looks nasty now because I am not able to clean it)

Starting problems
By mudskipper

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Equinox. I looked for over a month and thought I got a good deal. I've had it for a week and I'm having starter problems. It turns over but takes a long time to start. This only happens about half the time. As I'm reading reviews I'm seeing this is a common problem. I would like to get it fixed while under warranty so I'm curious to know what exactly the problem is. Seeing all of these bad reviews and potential problems I am now wondering if I was wrong in buying an Equinox. Any ideas on the starting problem?

I Regret the day I Got this Car!
By equinoxhater

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I should have seen this car was cursed when the tire went flat at the dealer ship but no i had to get rid of my 2002 Doge Neon. That was a good little car but i needed more space. the Equinox seemed like a good choice. I regret the day i brought this car because i have only had it for 2 years and i have been in over 20 accidents and my car has been attempted to be broken into and over and over with hit and runs... also most recently there is a 5inch crack in my front bumper. I hate this car because it uses so much technology i wish i just got a 65 corvete chery bom red. These cars are crazy and are confusing i want good quality old craftmanship.

Love my Equinox But......
By diana408

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2005 Equinox since 2008. I love driving it but I do have one complaint..the electrical system is poor..I have had all kinds of trouble with lights..dash board lights do not work and the driving lights will not come on automatically when turned to auto..I am putting over $2000.00 into it to have the air bag light fixed and I still won't have dash lights as it would cost another $500. and I will still have to turn lights on manually...I think you really need to work on this problenm and give some type of refund for these repairs..

Suggested Improvements

Recheck all electrical and make it more reliable.