Used 2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 724 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Nothing but strange problems
By Jc

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Where do I even begin....lol!
I bought this car from my grandpa in 2014 with 64k miles on it. He bought it new and took great care of it. When I got it, I was warned about an odd "starting issue" that seldomly happened at the time. I was assured that he would pay to fix it if it started happening more or quit starting since he wasn't able to figure it out before it became my vehicle. It happens all the time now but won't completely break down so we can get to the bottom of it and acts shy and won't experience the problem when I take it to the shop to diagnose. I think the car is seriously possessed by an evil entity lol. Since it only acts up when I'm in an inconvenient setting like a dark parking lot or trying to get to work, I recorded it with my phone while it was acting up so I could show it to my Chevy mechanic. I've attempted to have this diagnosed several times and was told it might be electrical since we've tried everything else like putting in a new starter etc.... fuel pump is fine, so it's not that either. It's gotten worse... Sounds like the car is trying to start when I turn my key but just can't quite turn the engine over. It never happens when my car has been sitting all night, it only happens after I've driven already that day.

Also, the headlights are garbage and changing them is a real biotch and expensive too bc of the labor involved; the whole front part needs to come off bc both headlight casings are connected internally and can't be individually removed. After a while, the plastic casings look extremely yellow and dingy.... Foggy looking. The seals on them wear away as well and water got inside my casings and blew out my bulbs. Since I can't drive at night with no headlights, I had to pay $120 for the mechanic to remove the front of the car so he could get in there to replace the bulbs. I couldn't afford new casings, which were quoted at $300 a piece, so I just had the water dried out so my bulbs wouldn't blow....Well at least until the water seeps in again. They can't be resealed, they have to be replaced. Luckily I live in California and it doesn't rain a lot!

Oh... The cheap plastic bumpers... How they hurt my eyes from the ugly gray color being so hideously weather warped. They dent super easily as well. Someone hit it a little bit on the back right corner while in a grocery store parking lot and it got severely crunched in. Of course, they cant be pushed back out and reshaped (that would be too easy) so the whole freaking bumper needs replacing if you want that dent to go away. And wouldn't ya know it, they don't make the bumpers anymore nor do after market ones fit properly without looking ghetto so have fun scouting junk yards for one that still looks decent.

It's really weird that the window controls are in the center where the shifter is instead of on each door.... I hate that and so does every passenger that enters my car. As the driver, I should have main window controls for each door window and lock option that passengers can't reach for. I hate when I'm cold and my passenger rolls their window down bc I can't lock all the windows from my door.

Annoying blind spots on this car... Took some getting used to.

Super thin door pockets, can barely fit a little stack of napkins in there.

Don't ever buy stock version of this car, the cloth seats feel hard and uncomfortable and the lever underneath is sooooooo annoying.... I miss power seats!!!

On the same note regarding this vehicle being cheaply&ridiculously made, the interior ends up looking like a rolling hooptie as it begins falling apart after normal usage. I never force or abuse my vehicle so it's definitely not a case of this being my own fault bc I don't take care of it (as some other people's comments on this page seem to suggest); my sunvisor's lid that covers the little vanity mirror randomly fell off one day. How about that! Lol!

A few months ago, my car started making an electric gurgling sound that graduated into a loud flapping or metal clanking sound that pep boys said sounded serious but internal in the engine so they couldn't help. It was embrassing driving down the street bc it was so loud and obnoxious. By the time my Chevy appointment came around to diagnose and fix it, the sound had stopped and hasn't been back since. I need this car to go away :( I've honestly had more issues with this car since March 2014 then I ever had with my 2001 Ford F-150 that I had for 7 years.... And my ford had 200k miles on it!!! Bye Felicia!

Not worth the money
By Sara

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I've spent way too much fixing this car. It was an amazing car when I bought it. I've had to replace the thermostat 6 times in 4 years, water pump 2x, brakes 5x, and changing the headlights is absolutely ridiculous. I spent 1600 hoping to get all running great and a year later the cooling system goes out and they didn't make the same kind of part I needed for it so I had to pay 300$ versus the $70, now I'm waiting to get a motor for it as I have a blown head gasket. I unfortunately still owe money on it and am figuring out how to get of it asap. Only good thing is that it was roomy.

money pit junk
By tina young

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Don't buy it . I have had nothing , but issues with this car....... Week one ... Rvg valve had to be replaced... week three overheated . shop 215.00 .. water pump and labor. week five .. guess what overheating again...... shop 100.00 cost of warranty thermostat and labor... on my honeymoon it broke down again 5 days later.... 200 miles away from home... guess again over heating...tow 250.00 to my house. shop again .... valve, gaskets, hoses not covered by warranty 367.00... .. oh and 75 for the tow to the shop.... 3 days later . yep you guessed it ...... overheating again ..... said they did not get the air all out of it.... no cost that time... 2 days later yep again .... had enough by this time took it to another dealership..... shop 385.00 more hoses more values more labor ... 5 days later... you guessed it again....... 457.00 repair. again 110 to tow it on top of it. on top of the first place put the wrong water pump on it , but new dealership changed it out and replaced it with correct one at no cost.... 1,900.00 in 2 and half months for the same issues .. not a happy camper... oh plus it doesnt want to start at times. brake issues.... routers barrings replaced. ect ect ect ... i can go on and on but i wont

Don't buy this car!!!
By Cindi Mooney

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Theyou decided know a different kind of transmission with no dipstick so you cannot add or check the levels, so you have to take it to a tranny shop or dealership which runs you $250 just to change it...but...then the transmission fails anyhow... $3000 to put a new one in...by this time the car is not even worth that much!!! Biggest regret was buying the stupid thing!!

disappointed
By pstrickland

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

purchased used, after trading in what we thought was our excellent condition money pit trailblazer. not so sure we did the right thing here. sure I paid lots on some repairs to the trailblazer over the last 3 yrs but I know what was done and it was an amazing vehicle. wouldn't hesitate driving it out of state. this equinox on the other hand, I'm not so sure I'm willing to drive it across town! went to family dinner, came home and the entire car was shaking and sounded like my tires were about to fall off. I've had it to the dealer more times than I've had it in my driveway. purchased less than a month ago and its been there more than its been home with us. I'm really upset and fear for our family's future on this - dealers screwing families daily has got to stop! if selling a car to make a buck is more important to you than the safety of another human being, then you're a worthless individual.