2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Brake Issues
By chevy_lady on 02/19/13 11:21 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2005 chevy equinox and havent had any troubles other than the ABS light and TC light coming on and staying on. My brakes now pump against me when i am trying to stop and also I have to give it gas to help it start up. The ABS sensor has to be replaced.

DON'T DO IT!!!!
By jones1124 on 05/18/12 23:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This was the worst car I have ever owned. After 68k my serpentine went, the gas mileage was awful, the all-wheel drive in the snow was garbage,and I went through six headlights. Now, my car was paid free and clear after approx 2 1/2 yrs of ownership, but I still traded in for an '09 Honda Civic,and I could not be happier so far!! Bottom line is stay away from this vehicle. The Equinox, and my previous Chevy, have made me swear off American originated cars period

Please read! Do not buy
By Tony on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Chevy needs to pull all 2005 Equinoxes and fix them! The problem is the throttle actuator control module. When it goes out you vehicle won't go. All you can do is coast to a stop. My wife and daughter were almost killed because of this. If you own a 2005 Chevy equinox and this has gone wrong PLEASE call Chevy and file a complaint. If it hasn't gone out yet be careful! I researched this and there is over 500 people who have had it go out. I called Chevy and they said if they have enough complaints filed they will review and recall it. I told them about the other 500 people I read about and they said it was here say. So PLEASE PLEASE call and complain before someone dies.

Consider another vehicle
By getting frustrated on 07/20/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox used with 23,000 miles on it. Was a great car did a lot of traveling in it. The car now has 93,000 miles on it and is killing me in repair costs. Transmission flush costs 300.00! No place would do it except for my dealership. Problem of hard shifting got worse and found out valves were bad in the transmission. Cost for new part 4200.00 plus labor at dealership. I got a used one at half the cost. Told this is common for this type of transmission. Brakes need replaced a lot but are fairly cheap. Key stuck in the ignition, and lots of front end work constantly needs done. Not good in the winter in the snow or rain like it used to be. Feels unsafe. Consider another vehicle.

Do Not Buy!
By Moonbeam on 06/07/10 17:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 05 brand new and could have never imagined such problems with a new car. The details are too long to list but there have been issues from the beginning ranging from engine trouble to the interior simply falling apart. Unfortunately I am stuck with this vehicle right now but unless the President of Chevy personally calls me to apologize and offers me a free vehicle I will never drive Chevy again. Please take my advice and do the same.

Better than expected
By chris on 04/12/10 21:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 70,000 miles haven't found most of the complaints that others have to be an issue. Had heard that the engine was underpowered and the cabin was noisy but driving on the highway the first couple times I was surprised to look at the speed and find myself doing 80. For the noise the only thing that intrudes is the tires when going over large bumps. Engines quiet unless you mash the pedal. Wind pushes it around easily something I never felt in my last car. Acceleration's not great but has plenty of power for highway driving. Love that I can carry five people over six feet and have them be comfortable. Fuel economy is about 21 mpg. Seats and floor were stained cleaned up easy

The more miles the more problems.
By Lindz on 04/10/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox about a year ago and loved it at first. It drove smoothly, it was comfortable to travel in for a little bit. Then my anti-lock braking system started to take a crap on me. Took it into the dealer said that it was a computer chip malfunction.They replaced that and I didn't even hardly get it out of the parking lot before it did it again. Took it back again and finally figured out it was something in the wheel. I hate the interior I spilled water on my seat and it stained it! All the buttons are wearing off and I just took it to the shop again because something to do with my radiator that could have potentially burnt my engine up! The more miles the more problems it seems.

Gas sucker
By setheus on 02/16/10 10:30 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the chevy Equinox LS 2005 3 weeks ago. With 23000 miles on it. We test drove it and pilled back in the dealership and it was smoking from the front grill. So they said we put it trough service. They called back and said something between emission and oilfilter is wrong.They replaced the part ( took them 3 Days to do it.)They had to order the part.It uses a lot of gas. I'm driving between 60- 70 miles a week and have to fill this sucker up every week. Getting ready to bring that car back and go buy one somewhere else. BAD GAS MILEAGE.....:-((

Only Good for 5 Years
By Lynne on 01/15/10 17:44 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this car when I bought it in 2004. It handled well in the snow. It was more like a truck, but it did the job. Unfortunately at about 65,000 miles, major things started to go wrong. The sway bar links,(which had to be replaced when I bought the car), had to be replaced- close to $900. Then, two head gaskets had to be replaced at about 69,000 miles- $850. Finally, the car began dying sporadically without explanation. There was an electrical problem, but Chevy would not acknowledge it. They began replacing things at random, only to have the car die again. Loved it at first, but traded it for a Subaru. Chevy claimed 70,000 miles was high mileage. I can't afford to own that type of car.

Chevy not American!
By a unhappy Chevy lad on 12/30/09 20:14 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Well.. This being my first chevy and last. I never seen such a poor quality AWD; when compared to Subaru and the pricing for the vehicle. It's body does not do justice in Rain, and actually works better in the snow. We have tried 4 different kinds of tires and made no signs of improvements. The material in the vehicle is very cheap, we cannot clean it out nor get it professional cleaned. We actually had to spend another grand and updated it with leather which has been great since. THIRD, two things.. ITS NOT AN AMERICAN ENGINE! SHOCKED! and it doesn't even have a REAL BATTERY. You cannot jump this, or jump another vehicle with this SUV. It has its good days but NOW I see why GM is falling!