2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Crappy rental car
By Hondagrl

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drove a 2016 Cruze LT as a rental for two-and-a-half days while my 2014 Civic was getting a minor bumper repair. There are no ways to express how much I hated this car. There was not much headroom, the front seat was uncomfortable, the stop/start was annoying, it lacked power and it rolled backwards when I stopped at stop signs on small hills and took my foot off the brake (automatic transmission). The interior layout and controls for the windows and other instruments was goofy, almost as if GM didn't know where to put things so they just threw it in anywhere. The driver's window did not do an "express up" like most cars and you had to hold the button. The controls for the outside mirrors were not within reach. The radio did not turn off when I turned off the ignition, I had to open the door first with the engine running. It had a foot operated parking brake and some of the radio station controls were behind the steering wheel and every time I moved my hands I accidentally changed stations. It stalled once in the drive through lane at the bank when I tried to drive away. The backup camera and audio display were nice. GM needs to go back and finish this car, I was never so glad to see my Civic and certainly appreciate Honda engineering after driving this piece of junk. It's been a couple of weeks and I still recall my bad experience.

So close and yet so far
By Henry

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had been waiting for this car to come out for over a year. I like compact cars that have decent interior space, and on paper, this looked like it would be great. When it finally came out, I took an LT for a long test drive, fully expecting to buy it if I liked it. There were several things I liked about it: (1) Once going, the engine accelerated really well. (2) The driver's seat was extremely comfortable. (3) The ride and handling were great for an inexpensive compact car. (4) The rear seats finally have decent legroom. (5) Tight turning radius makes it very easy to maneuver in tiny parking spaces. (6) The instruments and infotainment screen gave me all that I needed and were easy to use. OK, sounds great, but I didn't buy it. Why? Because: (1) The stupid start/stop that cannot be turned off. I hate this feature, it completely intrudes on the driving experience and makes it not natural. (2) First gear feels remarkably weak - it's almost as if the car is starting in second gear or something. Added to the annoying hesitation from the start/stop, the car felt downright unsafe if I have to make a quick move from a stop such as doing a left turn before oncoming traffic. The car is great once it gathers some speed, but there's something odd about how it first gets moving. (3) The rear window is really small - at least the backup camera comes standard. (4) The interior, while spacious, was not attractive. The one I drove had this shiny black hard dashboard and the color and material extended to the doors. Maybe it works in other colors. So overall, I left the dealership feeling disappointed because I had really wanted to like this car and it does have some great attributes. I am thinking of getting the LT in manual, which would eliminate the start/stop and pudgy first gear issues.

Wife's car
By dick johnson

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Premier 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl 6A)

Is it comfortable and is the steering wheel heated

Pretty that's all
By cherry bailey

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl 6M)

Shuts down hard because of shutdown when stop for red light. Take off is sluggish road noise bad. the only positive thing I can say it's pretty and gets great gas mileage and his car is should sale for 16,000$ minutes ts definety not t worth 20,000$ buyers beware .i have owed this car for 3 months and trying hard to get rid of it

Auto Stop not impressed
By Nightowl

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Renting this car for a summer vacation trip. First thing I noticed is the rear window has a smaller visibility view. Had a hard time seeing the road directly behind me. Further on back, no problem. Next thing was the annoying speed limit indicator going off every time I went over 55 mph. Took me an hour to figure out how to turn that off. You had to go to the (DIC) driver information center settings to turn that off. Now the most annoying feature is the Auto Stop. Every time you stop, the engine shuts off until you take your foot off the brake. When taking your foot off the brake, then the engine restarts. Constantly turning on and off during city driving. Extremely annoying with the constant shutter as the engine shuts off. Can't imagine what the transmission and engine will be like with this feature at 50,000 miles. Car is being rented and only had 1,800 miles on it. So it's right off the line. Highway driving was fine. Ride a little hard on rough roads. Gas mileage great. The rear view camera was a very nice feature. A/C was good. Rented a 2015 Cruze last year and was impressed with that model. Renting a 2016 this year and would consider it a downgrade. If looking to buy I would take it out and drive in the city for a half hour and get a good feel for the Auto Stop feature before making a final decision.