Used 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

Diesel 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

Cruze Diesel Problem Child
By Marconquistador

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I did not see an option for diesel in the Edmund's drop down, so I selected a gas option just to write a review about my 2014 Cruze Diesel. I bought the car new in 2014. Within the first few thousand miles I had warranty work done. After about a year, the car has been in the shop constantly. The warranty work usually takes a week by the time the tech dows the diagnistics, parts are ordered, etc. Some of the same parts keep getting replced. As of now, my tags are expired (registration is paid) because the car will not pass Smog in CA because the engine light is on. Emission parts keep being replaced, and the light keeps comming on. The support for Chevy diesels is aweful, atleast for the Cruze in my area. The car has less than 30k miles. I am suposed to pick it up today, but they want me to drive it for 100 miles before they try to Smog it just to see if the engine light comes on again. I had to get a TOP from DMV.

2014 Cruze diesel Best mpg in my life! Fantastic!
By Al

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We have owned this car since Oct. 2014. It has done a mix of driving with some long road trips. getting 60 mpg with the low rolling resistance tires in the summer was a fantastic plus. But we have also seen 44 mpg mixed city driving. It goes down when we change to winter tires for driving conditions in Minnesota but is still 3 to 8 mpg above the EPA "estimates". The only way to get the mileage under 25 is letting it idle in the winter with the heat on while waiting for someone in a store! Getting into the car is a little difficult for a 6'2" tall man, it reminds me of my exotic sports car I used to own, but once in the car it is great! The handling is something other small car owners dream about for the engine gives the car just the right amount of weight. Acceleration is great for an economy car plus braking is great. the steering is a little twitchy at freeway speed but the driver is supposed to be paying attention at higher speed! I like the parking assist and backup camera. I have loaded all kinds of stuff in to the car through the backseat, even 8 foot 2 x 4's and 10 foot pipe. back seat room behind me is just not there. But it is ok when my wife is driving. I found when I was shopping cars in 2014 that this was the most comfortable inside for a large man. We have the leather interior and all the options but the price of the car new was not at all high. About $8k under the infamous car company that lied about their diesels. Chevy is up front about what the owner should do for maintenance and we like the 2 years free oil changes. I was waiting for a car that would get over 30 mpg in mixed city driving and our average of 38 is great. I knew I wanted either electric or diesel and diesel won in every way.

Concern Customer
By darnellf5@gmail.com

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Purchase 2014 Cruz Diesel in 2014. Five months after purchase the check engine light came on, I thought this was odd. Well, I have had my car service 10 times. Spoke with GM about the problem but have not received support. Please reconsider before you buy.Maybe all the Chevy Cruz Diesels are not alike but I ended up with a bad one. I have had a Chevrolet car before with no issues.

Don't buy this CAR!!!
By Customer

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have had my car in the shop 10 times. GM and the dealership have not been a help. There are issues with the 2014 and nobody wants to admit it. I regret buying this car.

Love my Cruze
By Sean M

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Have had an excellent experience with my cruze. Bought new in Hawaii at Cutter Chevy. My first "new" car in 16 years. Purchased as a commuter car with the intent of keeping it for 8 to 10 years. I choose the Chevy, 1st because I love the fuel economy of diesels and 2nd, I was excited that Chevy brought to the North American market a compact diesel sedan in over 25 years. I did a lot of research on the 2.0 diesel and test drove a few gas Cruzes. I liked the ride and feel of the gaser although the gas models lacked a little power. Not so in my diesel. The car has power and performance! It can get up and pass at 70 mph with ease. Now in California, and at over 16,000 miles, I still love my Cruze. It rides like a full sized car and is comfortable inside. Love the leather seats. I have realized and average of low 40s mpg. My best has been 61 mpg at 70 mph with cruize control. I have had one issue that was resolved easily. Took to dealer, Cutter Chevy, Honolulu once for a bad sensor. Replaced under warranty, with loaner car for the day! No problems at all since. Changing oil is a pain though due to GM engineers locating the filter up against the passenger firewall. Now my wife and kids fight me to drive the Cruze. They like it better than our 2009 VW Jetta. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my Cruze. If I had to, I'd buy another one!