2013 Cruze Eco Manual
By main1462 on
2013 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I had a Cruze LS we loved, but traded for a larger Malibu. After a year of poor Malibu mpg, we went back to a Cruze; this time an Eco. LOVE this car! After a month in mostly below-freezing weather, I'm averaging 36 mpg around town! On three days in the 50s, it got in the low 40s. Highway is 45-50 mpg at 65-70 mph. My fill-ups so far actually show slightly better mpg than the computer reading. The car handles great and is very quiet. The stick is smooth. I have owned GM cars for 25 years, and the Cruze is my favorite. I got this Eco for $17,300 after $3,500 in rebates (mostly from GM card incentives). A friend who rode in my car last week said, "Wow. This is a REALLY nice car!"
Favorite Features
Stick shift works very well. It's really fun to drive. The ride is smooth for a small car. I love how this car takes corners. It feels very sporty and secure. It also has a nice tight turning radius. The interior is quiet. Chevy did a nice job with the sound-deadening materials. The exterior design is eye-catching, especially the front grill and headlights. I got mine in black metallic, and it looks great. The seats may be a little stiff for some, but I actually like them that way. I'm 5'11" 170 lbs., and the driver's seat fits me very well. Good sound system. Excellent trunk space for a car this size. Nice CC and sound controls on steering wheel. Overall classy interior.
Suggested Improvements
Back seat space is not great, but our teenage daughters have no problem. The back seats can also get a little uncomfortable on long trips (could have better padding). I've never been a big fan of the tail light design, but it's not horrible. There are no cupholders in the back seat of the Cruze Eco manual base. Grr. No other major complaints. We obviously like the Cruze a lot because it's our second one!
By main1462
on 01/01/14 12:47 PM (PST)

Update: After a year, the car remains great. On a 1000-mile trip in the summer averaging 70 mph on interstates, it returned 47.9 mpg (based on fill-ups, which matched the computer exactly!). On the same trip the year before, our Prius C did only slightly better at 48.2 mpg. On rural highways around here going 60 mph, our Eco gets 53-54 mpg. Around town in the summer, I easily average 45 mpg. Right now in colder temps (teens and 20s), it gets 36 mpg around town. Love it! It had to go back to the dealer twice. First, the cruise control stopped working (a computer glitch that was quickly corrected). Second, the left rear brake had to be replaced because it was making a loud squeaking sound. Frustrating problems, but both were covered under warranty. On long trips, the car is comfortable and quiet. The driver's seat fits me perfectly for long trips. However, I couldn't spend a great deal of time in the back seat on long trips - the seats are too stiff. I also still can't figure out why they didn't put any kind of cup holders in the rear seat of the base Eco. Mostly, I just continue to be impressed by the efficiency of the manual transmission Eco engine.