2013 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Review: Great value

2013 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Review

1LT Sedan (1.4L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Great value
By kj83 on

2013 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Cruze is a nice, solid car for a great price. I like the exterior styling, and also the simplicity and layout of the interior.
The driver has excellent visibility.
The key selling feature for me was the top safety ratings, as my daughters would be spending a lot of time driving this car too.

The car (1LT, 1.4Turbo) handles competently, and the engine has surprising strength given the fantastic gas mileage.
We've had it for 4 months & 4K miles, and so far no issues.
The transmission and controls all work perfectly.
I was initially looking for a good used car, and also looked at new Civics & Corollas, but I liked the Cruze the best and am happy to buy an American brand.

Update 2+ years later: My daughter was driving our Cruze with a passenger, and while crossing an intersection they were T-boned broadside by a speeding SUV (Honda Pilot) that hit squarely on the passenger side. The Cruze was spun around 180 degrees and ended up on the sidewalk with 2 stunned passengers. I'd like to say both girls made it out without a scratch, but truthfully the passenger did have a scratch on her arm, but that was it. Both were fine and walked away, and witnesses to the crash were very surprised no-one ended up in the hospital. What can I say, I bought the car for the 10 airbags and safety, and it came through for me. Up until that point our Cruze was trouble free for 2 years & 20,000 miles, but it was totaled in the accident. I'm very happy with the car and would buy another without hesitation.

• Outward visibility

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By kj83
on 02/25/14 16:30 PM (PST)

Yes, I have the auto transmission, and I haven't run across any unusual shifting. It's our 3rd car, with 4 drivers occasionally using it and no one has complained of anything. Actually, everyone likes the car (I mostly drive a 2012 Volvo S60, my wife a RAV4. Previously we had a VW Passat turbo manual, and a Toyota Sienna). Before buying the Cruze, I also test drove a few other Cruzes and none of them had any erratic or unusual behavior. I have the 1.4 turbo so I'm not sure if the reported transmission issues are with the lower LS trim or with the 1.4T. I didn't drive any LS's. Now, maybe I'm not sensitive to the way new auto transmissions shift either - I travel for business and rent lots of different cars.

By cakl
on 02/12/14 13:39 PM (PST)

is yours the 6 speed auto transmission ? and you haven't had any experiences with it shifting eratically at low speeds ( like it's confused ?)