Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Gas Mileage is a Joke, and the engine is too weak to be fun.
By jberger1

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I live in California, and I drive between 70 and 75 miles per hour. I am averaging according to the cruze LTZ 25.7 mpg. The car is extremely underpowered with an incredible amount of turbo and transmission lag. This car has the worst breaks when you really need to stop in a hurry. Also, under extreme deceleration the suspension is too soft, and the rear of the car will try and come around on you if your wheels are not straight. This car would be perfect if it had about 80 more horsepower, and some decent programing for the transmission. Also, the trunk arms cost you some considerable space, as they collapse into the trunk. Pistons on the side would remedy that little problem.

Interior of the LTZ is awesome. Seats are comfortable, and the dash trim is second to none for a eco class car.

Give it some power and fix the transmission to be more responsive. Change from trunk arms to pistons on the side, so the arms don't cost you space that I need in the trunk. I carry computers ,and servers, and other large equipment, and half the time, i have to throw it in my back seat, due to the arms getting in the way.

Totally Impressed
By cadeleon

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased over a year ago and all I can say is I have been impressed. We have over 16.0K miles. Have taken many road trips and it is quiet and comfortable. Mileage has been as advertised, though the more you go over 70MPH tends to lower MPG. Our average for the year has been 35 MPG. This calculation does not/has never matched car computer. Only issue was the recall of which the dealer took care of with no issue. I would recommend to anyone.

Quiet interior. Level of technology; IE bluetooth, steering wheel controls and the ability to buy a manual transmission option.

No suggested improvements. Bought the car for a specific reason and got it.

7 Month Update
By gep10

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Eco manual now has 9K miles. Not a single mechanical issue; the car is still tight with no rattles or squeaks. The overall fuel economy (computer) has improved to over 38 MPG for >80% city driving. My best 50 mile economy is 50.0 MPG (computer). Got an indicated 45+ MPG for a recent 450 mile trip (20% @ 75 -80 MPH, 70% @ 62 MPH, some city) which is probably around 42 MPG actual. The computer is consistently 2-3 MPG high. My only complaint is the hood has a few chips in it; I've read other complaints about this as well (soft paint??). Overall, I'm very pleased with this car. I highly recommend anyone shopping for a high MPG car test drive a Cruze before making a purchase decision.

Quiet, refined engine, High MPG, sharp chassis responses, fun to shift trans, feel of leather steering wheel & shifter, great Nav screen (option - base screen looks 25 years old), nice sounding 9 speaker, 250 Watt Pioneer stereo (solid value - listen to one before getting the stock sound system - good enough that it's the Malibu Eco uplevel unit), huge trunk, ride quality, quiet interior at highway speeds (despite the Eco having less sound deadening than other Cruze models) , appearance (exterior, interior), front seat comfort, steering wheel controls The overall feel is that of a larger, more sophisticated (& expensive) automobile. This is not a GM "penalty box" of the past.

I drove a Cruze with the Trifecta tune (+40 HP, + 50 lb.ft, 0-60 in 6.8 seconds - auto). The difference is night and day; the car loafs up steep hills on cruise control at highway speeds. The torque is doubled at <2000 RPM. The fuel economy seemed to be higher than the base cal at highway speeds (low 50's MPG @ 60 MPH). The specific output (130HP/L) is the same as the 260 HP Sky Redline/Cobalt SS 2.0L Ecotec and the M32 manual transmission( rated at 320 NM or 236 lb-ft) can handle the torque increase (about 205 lb-ft at the flywheel). Offer an SS Eco with an HO engine with the Trifecta output along with the Volt 4 wheel disc brake system and MR shocks. Include rr armrest w/man trans.

Seating is very uncomfortable
By debbieevans

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have never complained about a car but my drivers seat is the most uncomfortable seat and is causing me great pain. My shoulders are pushed forward and my neck and shoulders are in constant pain now. I will start to buy various items to try and fix the seat and I hope something will make it more comfortable for me.

Low fuel consumption is great!

Seating could be designed better.

Just Cruzin'
By just_a_chemist

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Edmunds did not have choice of 1LT with 6-speed auto, but that is what I own with RS package. The car delivers great value and performs way better than others in the class. Good ride, great power, great gas mileage, and good looks. Average 28 mpg in local commute with 38-42 on the highway with 87 octane. Suggest using mid-grade or premium for highway driving as the turbo will perform better with higher octane. I have had no problems at 7000 miles in 6 months. The complaints about the sleeping shifting are due to the gas saving transmission linkage allowing the car to coast increasing fuel economy, all cars will be going with this technology.

Fuel economy, turbo charger, good balance of tires versus torq. Visibility for driver. Engine delivers V6 performance with V4 economy.

Taller arm rest in center console. Larger controls on steering wheel. Cup holders in rear on doors. More cushion in seat.