2012 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:
Gas Mileage is a Joke, and the engine is too weak to be fun.
By jberger1 on 11/21/12 15:23 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I live in California, and I drive between 70 and 75 miles per hour. I am averaging according to the cruze LTZ 25.7 mpg. The car is extremely underpowered with an incredible amount of turbo and transmission lag. This car has the worst breaks when you really need to stop in a hurry. Also, under extreme deceleration the suspension is too soft, and the rear of the car will try and come around on you if your wheels are not straight. This car would be perfect if it had about 80 more horsepower, and some decent programing for the transmission. Also, the trunk arms cost you some considerable space, as they collapse into the trunk. Pistons on the side would remedy that little problem.

Totally Impressed
By cadeleon on 11/18/12 05:52 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased over a year ago and all I can say is I have been impressed. We have over 16.0K miles. Have taken many road trips and it is quiet and comfortable. Mileage has been as advertised, though the more you go over 70MPH tends to lower MPG. Our average for the year has been 35 MPG. This calculation does not/has never matched car computer. Only issue was the recall of which the dealer took care of with no issue. I would recommend to anyone.

7 Month Update
By gep10 on 09/25/12 10:11 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Eco manual now has 9K miles. Not a single mechanical issue; the car is still tight with no rattles or squeaks. The overall fuel economy (computer) has improved to over 38 MPG for >80% city driving. My best 50 mile economy is 50.0 MPG (computer). Got an indicated 45+ MPG for a recent 450 mile trip (20% @ 75 -80 MPH, 70% @ 62 MPH, some city) which is probably around 42 MPG actual. The computer is consistently 2-3 MPG high. My only complaint is the hood has a few chips in it; I've read other complaints about this as well (soft paint??). Overall, I'm very pleased with this car. I highly recommend anyone shopping for a high MPG car test drive a Cruze before making a purchase decision.

Seating is very uncomfortable
By debbieevans on 09/22/12 01:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have never complained about a car but my drivers seat is the most uncomfortable seat and is causing me great pain. My shoulders are pushed forward and my neck and shoulders are in constant pain now. I will start to buy various items to try and fix the seat and I hope something will make it more comfortable for me.

Just Cruzin'
By just_a_chemist on 09/20/12 07:00 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Edmunds did not have choice of 1LT with 6-speed auto, but that is what I own with RS package. The car delivers great value and performs way better than others in the class. Good ride, great power, great gas mileage, and good looks. Average 28 mpg in local commute with 38-42 on the highway with 87 octane. Suggest using mid-grade or premium for highway driving as the turbo will perform better with higher octane. I have had no problems at 7000 miles in 6 months. The complaints about the sleeping shifting are due to the gas saving transmission linkage allowing the car to coast increasing fuel economy, all cars will be going with this technology.

6 Month Update
By cruzefan1 on 09/04/12 13:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco automatic on 3/2/2012 so I thought I would give a 6 month update. So far I have had no reliability issues. The car is fairly quiet and rides smooth for a small car. The interior is very roomy and more upscale then some of the competition. I have been avg. 35-36 mpg with 75% highway and 25% city driving. There are a few things that could be improved, being very minor. The first being to make the center consel a little larger and a bigger arm rest. Second would be a little more legroom for larger adults in the backseat. Finally, the transmission seems to be a little sleepy and searching for gears.

Best Purchasing Decision I Ever Made
By ratrbridin on 08/26/12 16:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

For the first time in my life, I have made a WISE decision when purchasing a new vehicle. I was very skeptical giving up my truck and buying an "Economy Car." I'm 6' 215lbs, but my new career has me driving a personal vehicle to make sales calls. I am overly impressed with my Cruz Eco. Very stylish, and the biggest surprise is from the 1.4L Turbo. It is very responsive and I am AVERAGING 35MPG, with my best score on the highway being 42.6MPG. I thought I would be embarrassed to drive an economy car. Chevrolet has made a believer out of me, however. I love this car and would and am recommending it to all my friends and associates. Way to go Chevy.

Could be better
By ihateteeth on 08/25/12 05:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My first foray into US manufacturer territory. So far the Cruze has been good but not without faults. I'm not big by any means but the seats just aren't wide enough. The air con is poor at best and not up to Florida summers. The bluetooth works when it wants to (rarely), and that old "gas mileage" thing. Not as good as I was lead to believe. In fact it's getting worse rather than improving with time as Chevy suggests it should. Like the styling, particularly the front, and the car feels well built. The way the auto shift suddenly moves down when slowing is rather alarming though. Something I could do without. Would I purchase another? Probably not.

My 2012 Cruze or a Ford Pinto? The race is close.
By simplmn72 on 08/17/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I wish I had researched the Cruze more. I just got it back from the dealership. A recall, the door seals keep coming lose, bluetooth sucks, air doesn't work right, poor gas mileage, it keeps dying on me, and a message comes up on the comp between the speedo and tach saying my brakes are over heating. Most things they could not repair because they could not reproduce them. I was informed there are no sensors on the car to monitor the temp of the brakes and there isn't even any such thing as a message like that on the car. I told him I was disappointed if they were not educated with the Cruze enough to know about the message. The message happened again on the way home, took a pic, we will see.

MPG Very Disappointing
By bmg2012 on 08/17/12 09:29 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car new for one reason, to get better gas mileage than I was getting which was 25 MPG combined. After a few weeks I am getting only 24.2 MPG combined. Most of my mile are on the highway, not city. This car is supposed to get 30 MPG combined. The dealer keeps telling me to be patient and break it in and the MPG will increase over time. It had better start getting much better MPG or this car is going back of the GM return it for any reason program that ends in September. If you are buying this car for better MPG...don't.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze in WA is:

$186 per month*