Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Best higher mileage car I have ever owned.
By Austin

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Cruze 1LT has 92000 miles and still performs like new! A couple of months ago I was T-Boned by a F-150 on the driver's side and I walked away without a scratch. The car held up very well, I elected to have the car repaired and it's back on the road like nothing happened. The only repair was a new waterpump under warranty at 90000 miles. The interior remains rattle free and quiet. The 1.4T has plenty of power and still averages 36 MPG and I don't baby it. I have gotten as much as 46 MPG on the highway. It has never let me down, even with no coolant when the waterpump failed it still got me home (I didn't realize all the coolant leaked out.) It starts the first time everytime without any drama. I was very surprised by how awesome it goes in the snow even without winter tires. I'm 6 foot 2 and 270 pounds, I have plenty of room in this car. I got a 2015 Impala as a loaner when my Cruze got it's waterpump replaced, the Impala was a great car but the Cruze seems more solid. Looking into a 2016 Cruze for my next vehicle.

Honeymoon Is Over
By John Philips

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 2012 Cruze Eco since 2012 and it now has 65,000 miles on it. Until recently I did not have one issue with the car that wasn't covered under warranty. The car has also been recalled about 5 times, again for free repair and not for anything that ever impacted the way the car operated.

My dealer, Wind Gap Chevy in Wind Gap, PA is a really good dealer with an excellent service department. I'd recommend them to anyone and buy from them again.

Recently I had a pool of oil under the car and was told it was a broken oil line which connected to the turbocharger. This in my opinion is that infamous Chevy "quality" rearing its ugly head. Something like this should not fail in any car with my mileage. This repair was not covered under warranty, but was relatively inexpensive to fix, only $120.

I have owned two Chevys in the past and had horrible quality problems. It took me more than a decade to get back into my Cruze, which I still enjoy. It's fun to drive and has some points to it that are much nicer than any other car in its price class.

I'm beginning to question whether I should trade it as I am nervous that more repairs on on the horizon. Just rented a Honda Civic which is very nice, but I'm also keeping an eye on the 2017 Cruze redesign.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Karin

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love the look and interior of the car, beautiful. It has pretty good acceleration, but lags and the turbo sounds like a weedeater. The weird jumping forward while braking is kinda scary. At 50k miles driving down the highway the turbo blew- without warning. No lights came on until about 10 minutes later, the famous catch all- stabilitrac light. Folllowed by a bevy of every light in the car. The turbo also caused the engine to blow.
Pulled into an NTB (nearest thing) they looked at for $100 determined it was something to do with engine- so warranty. Towed it to dealer. After some run around, turning in every maintenance record- they decide to replace engine and turbo. Then would not reimburse me for the tow or the $100 fee I paid at NTB- very long BS story even after I gave them receipts.
2 days after I got it back- the car would not start. I panicked, called dealer and had it towed again. Guess what- just the battery went dead. So, not warranty and would not pay for tow. Six months now- on the brand NEW engine- coil pack has gone bad, not warranty and the coolant hose is leaking- not warranty. DONE!

Exactly what I want, Cruze RS
By Eugene Dougherty

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2012 Cruze RS - excellent solid handing, fast enough, perfect steering, great fuel economy, and great Pioneer stereo. Its an amazing car. It gives you a perfect execution to the 90% point, which is to say that is drives well, accelerates well, is comfortable and secure but when you start to push the limits, then it lets you know its essentially an economy car. If that sounds like a criticism, its not. The car is giving you more than you are paying for - handles securely like a BMW325 until you really push it (then it just slides). It accelerates very nicely until you try to win a stoplight acceleration (a fiasco of revs, turbo lag, and shifts - just don't ever do that). Its handles very well in the snow (somehow pulls that off). I'm quite thrilled and look forward to my time in it. Previously owned Subaru, GTO, Eagle Talon, variety of other cars.

Lemonaide is made GM
By dickyeakel

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car was great for first 60,000 miles than all h_____ broke out for most which the factory and dealership provided little support. When heat is on strong smell of antifreeze though intermittent at gets stronger as the fan runs. On Star was great when works. It to failed and to expensive to repair. I have invested over $5,000.00 in other emission repairs over the last 10,000 miles. Many repairs the same, but just out of warranty per the dealer. Best if the government had just let GM fold. They make a terrible product.