Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Loved my cruze until now! beware
By rae_xo

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my piece of crap dodge avenger in for another piece of crap. thought maybe getting a chevy would give me a better piece of mind. Got my cruze used with 32k miles and ive had it for 7 months now. The gas mileage is a complete joke! Ive never gotten over 35MPG even driving highway! Lately it lags shifting gears and take a few minutes to actually do so and it has also had alot of idling problem! chugging while sitting at red lights and drive-thrus. each dealership i go to tells me there is nothing they can do about it, but ive seen so many people with the same problems! please save your time, energy, and money

Scared for my life at 10k miles
By chevycruzeh8er

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

bought my car March 2012, been having hard shifting problems and just last month the transmission module failed completely and had to be replaced (9,500 miles). I was sitting in the car on idle and it felt like a brick was dropped into my engine with a thud, engine light came on and trying to drive it to the side was like driving a golf cart. Still having hard shifting problems, got it back from the dealership yesterday and apparently the hard shifting is a "feature" of the car, I don't even feel safe driving this car anymore because I'm scared of getting rear ended when the car hard shifts on the freeway and pulls so hard back that if there was somebody tailing me they would crash into me.

convenient interior design

fix engine and transmission problems instead of saying its a feature of the car.

2 years 44.5k mile review
By natalie14

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My vehicle is a black fully loaded ltz rs with nav. The paint has a bit of eggshell reflection so it is not the highest quality but it still looks nice and has minimal chips considering the ammount of highway driving that I do. My front seat used to make noise. Dealer tightened the bolts and replaced a clip. No squeaks or rattles after that. No mechanical problems in nearly 45k miles with only basic maintenance done on the vehicle. Ride quality is smooth and predictable. Acceleration is good enough to get on the highway with no problems and pass slow vehicles. When not stomping on the gas and driving normally the mpg is in the upper 30s to low 40s unless going up hill.

The navigation brings ina new radio now known as mylink. In 2012 it has no backup camera or bluetooth for music available to it. It is also missing the apps like pandora. These things mean very little. It makes the car so much better. The overall styling of the exterior is great in my opinion as long as you get the RS package. The interior layout is nice. The materials are hard and cheap but in its class the cruze is better than the other brands.

Add options for premium head lights like on the impala and ss. Add a luxury package for interior touches like faux wood instead of the faux carbon metal. In the luxury package add power recline and driver side memory seats. I know this gets into buick territory but I don't like the buick exterior design. It looks weird. The chevy exterior with buick insides and the bigger turbo engine would be the cats meow.

Great value
By cscott952

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm very happy with my Cruze. I have about 13k miles on it, and still feel its a great value. I have driven/owned many types of cars, and I'm still quite impressed with this car for the money. It's my daily driver, and general use car. Since the turbo engine has a broad power band, its very driveable. Its not fast, but responsive enough to make it nice to drive. The engine idles very smoothly too. The cabin is quiet at highway speeds, and the seats are comfortable on long drives. Aside from the armrest, I have not complaints!

Favorite Features -road manners -quiet -fuel efficient -powerband/engine -interior design and space -trunk size -style -convenience features -power band

The armrest is too short. It slides forward, which is nice, but doesn't lock forward. I've developed a habit of pushing the armrest forward while I drive w/o being aware of it.

Poor Fuel Economy
By romantilly

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the Chevrolet Cruze 1 year ago after reviewing and driving many other models. I needed something with good fuel economy because I drive 130 miles to work each way. The car was advertised at 30+ for city and 42 for highway. About 90% of my driving is straight highway miles at 75 mph with the vehicle on cruise control. My average fuel economy on highway has dropped from 32-35 to less than 30, and around town from high 20's to low to mid 20's. The car does not deliver what it advertises.