Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

My first car
By kenny61

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't praise this car enough. From the moment I got it, I was in love. It had such a great pick up, it was "peppy". There was enough space for a teen to live in it! It was my own. My car saved my life in an accident on the freeway. My car gave her life for me. The damage outside was unrepairable, while the damage inside was nonexistent. I owe my life to my Old Girl, and I'll never forget it. If you're a parent, this car will keep your safe young driver safe from unsafe drivers.

I never really had to worry about buying gas. There was plenty of space for everything I needed to leave for a week to stay in the car at all times. There was room for my bari sax, two tenor saxes, and three other passengers.

45K Update for Manual Eco
By gep10

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My overall mileage is 37.5 MPG (computer) for 45,000 miles which is about 35 MPG actual. Not a single issue; just routine maintenance. On one leg of a 1500 mile trip last summer the DIC showed 52.4 MPG driving 5 MPH over Virginia's 55 MPH and 65 MPH limits with the A/C on. I added the Trifecta tune which adds 30% HP and 40% torque and, combined with the nimble handling, makes this car a lot of fun to drive. Overall, I highly recommend the Cruze Eco manual. Two of my BMW driving friends were very complimentary after a test drive. One wanted to trade his 5 series for it and the other, a 3 series driver looking for a sporty & fuel efficient American four door, is making this his next car.

Great mileage, gets better than EPA 42 MPG hwy rating on trips, very quiet and upscale interior, refined control feel, responsive handling, good steering feedback, optional Pioneer audio system sounds sweet, convenient Blue Tooth hands off phone, back up warning works well, optional Nav system works great and is easy to read and operate, cruise control system is excellent, fog lights really light up the road, the engine is very smooth and sounds sweet when you wind it out to 6,500 RPM, huge trunk, near mid-size interior room, fold down back seat, solid structure, excellent build quality, solid sound the doors make when closing, high quality leather on steering wheel and shifter

replace rear drum brakes with disc brakes, add Eco automatic's fold down center armrest with cupholders, make spare tire an option (I've had two sidewall punctures in 6 months on Michigan's horrible roads and the sealant didn't work), more solid shifter feel, higher quality cloth for the seats, more power - if Trifecta can reliably get 180 HP and 200 ft-lbs. of torque from this 1.4L, so can GM - Mercedes has a production 2.0L making 355 HP so 180 HP from a 1.4L is certainly doable

Safe, Reliable, Efficient
By revjimmy

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My '12 Cruze Eco is sneaking up on 30,000 miles, and I have no complaints. To date, I've driven it all over the South and Midwest; over its lifetime, it is averaging 33.4 MPG, and that's with a LOT of city driving. With one exception, I haven't had it in the shop once for service other than routine and recall work. That one exception was no fault of the car - an adult buck whitetail deer ran out in front of me while I was going 70 MPH, and even then, the car excelled - there was no frame damage, I was completely unhurt, and though it cost my insurance company a good chunk of change, the car was repairable to factory spec.

I very much like being able to control the entertainment system and cruise control with my thumbs; the MyLink info center in front of the steering wheel is also highly useful. The car has outstanding acceleration and, except on the steepest of uphill grades, has no problem maintaining speed.

The only issue I have is that sometimes the nav/entertainment system will either hang up or crash. It will usually automatically reboot; however, there have been a couple of occasions when I have actually had to turn off my car in order for the system to restart. However, it doesn't happen very often, and it's not an essential safety feature, so I'm not too terribly concerned.

Great Car
By denman98

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have 13,500 miles on a 2012 Cruze eco. The mileage is phenomenal. Took a trip last weekend through the mountains and averaged over 50 mpg. 13,500 miles and no problems to report. The only small issue is the placement of the hot-cold dial for the climate control, the way I sit in the car my leg rests on it and sometimes I inadvertently turn it, otherwise, great car.

Gas Mileage!! Room for 5, great entertainment system and vehicle computer.

Move the hot-cold dial for the AC away from the driver a little to improve driver leg room.

By nickie3

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been rear ended twice now and I have to say this is the best car so far on safety, hardly no damage on the bumper at all this last wreck I was in and I was hit hard all it did was scratch the paint, more damage was to the vehicle that hit me. So five stars on the safety/ build of this car! My cruze is the ECO model automatic not manual it wouldn't pull the correct one up.

Gas mileage went from an SUV to this car spending 150$ weekly to 45$ a week on gas!

Interior on dash and doers needs to be changed that mesh stuff is horrible.