Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Sedan Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Honeymoon Is Over
By John Philips

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 2012 Cruze Eco since 2012 and it now has 65,000 miles on it. Until recently I did not have one issue with the car that wasn't covered under warranty. The car has also been recalled about 5 times, again for free repair and not for anything that ever impacted the way the car operated.

My dealer, Wind Gap Chevy in Wind Gap, PA is a really good dealer with an excellent service department. I'd recommend them to anyone and buy from them again.

Recently I had a pool of oil under the car and was told it was a broken oil line which connected to the turbocharger. This in my opinion is that infamous Chevy "quality" rearing its ugly head. Something like this should not fail in any car with my mileage. This repair was not covered under warranty, but was relatively inexpensive to fix, only $120.

I have owned two Chevys in the past and had horrible quality problems. It took me more than a decade to get back into my Cruze, which I still enjoy. It's fun to drive and has some points to it that are much nicer than any other car in its price class.

I'm beginning to question whether I should trade it as I am nervous that more repairs on on the horizon. Just rented a Honda Civic which is very nice, but I'm also keeping an eye on the 2017 Cruze redesign.

2012 Chevy Cruze Eco
By Dan Schnura

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The point of this vehicle is to get you from point a to b and get great gas milage. To start with the cruze has a very good price, you don't get much but what do you need, its a family sedan. I wanted the chrome rims (not sure if there real chrome, i think its plastic) and the metallic red paint. It does look good, it has some sporty lines and curves but can still be seen as a family sedan. The interior is good, nothing special, has a great bass if your into that. The aux cord is extremely easy to use and the radio cranks. The gas is great, I've never gotten 43 mpg but 38.5 mpg does me well. Then we move to the things that the cruze really isn't made for, performance. The ride quality is fine, it has nice front shocks and the rear is a multi-link independent rear suspension. The suspension seems like it would have a lot of easy aftermarket support if your into spicing your sedan up. But I have beat the crap out of the cruze, from driving and drifting on gravel roads at speeds around 80mph sometimes, jumped it in a parking lot once and drove on a pretty deep mud/gravel road. I live where the houses are spaced out and the roads are bumpy, curvy and hilly. I went for a fast drive down a road thats narrow and bumpy, a road rally type road, the road is fast and has sudden turns. But the engine heats up after heavy use fast. The radiator and fan were running for a while after this drive. The acceleration is great for a 1.4 liter turbo eco engine, but the engine needs some work, the turbo lag is horrendous, you floor it, wait a few seconds then the engine launches to a high rpm and its screaming. I find the shifter amazing and really useful, i use it for traffic and messing around, i feel as though thats a must for the car because the transmission sucks, only when your actually using the shifter correctly does the performance improve. Another thing is the brakes are amazing, for a few hours, (there useless as hell in heavy rain and snow), then the become trash. They obviously over heat and start to vibrate terribly, but all that is under heavy use. Overall, I've driven to florida without a problem, beat on some gravel and puddle roads with the kids, and use it to get to chicago on the weekdays. It does seem to wanna get to the 43 mpg easily but I haven't reached it. Its a great family car, first starter car and oddly a great platform for some type of racing or preformance vehicle, it has a lot of potential in that aspect.

My first car
By kenny61

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't praise this car enough. From the moment I got it, I was in love. It had such a great pick up, it was "peppy". There was enough space for a teen to live in it! It was my own. My car saved my life in an accident on the freeway. My car gave her life for me. The damage outside was unrepairable, while the damage inside was nonexistent. I owe my life to my Old Girl, and I'll never forget it. If you're a parent, this car will keep your safe young driver safe from unsafe drivers.

I never really had to worry about buying gas. There was plenty of space for everything I needed to leave for a week to stay in the car at all times. There was room for my bari sax, two tenor saxes, and three other passengers.

45K Update for Manual Eco
By gep10

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My overall mileage is 37.5 MPG (computer) for 45,000 miles which is about 35 MPG actual. Not a single issue; just routine maintenance. On one leg of a 1500 mile trip last summer the DIC showed 52.4 MPG driving 5 MPH over Virginia's 55 MPH and 65 MPH limits with the A/C on. I added the Trifecta tune which adds 30% HP and 40% torque and, combined with the nimble handling, makes this car a lot of fun to drive.

Overall, I highly recommend the Cruze Eco manual. Two of my BMW driving friends were very complimentary after a test drive. One wanted to trade his 5 series for it and the other, a 3 series driver looking for a sporty & fuel efficient American four door, is making this his next car.

Great mileage, gets better than EPA 42 MPG hwy rating on trips, very quiet and upscale interior, refined control feel, responsive handling, good steering feedback, optional Pioneer audio system sounds sweet, convenient Blue Tooth hands off phone, back up warning works well, optional Nav system works great and is easy to read and operate, cruise control system is excellent, fog lights really light up the road, the engine is very smooth and sounds sweet when you wind it out to 6,500 RPM, huge trunk, near mid-size interior room, fold down back seat, solid structure, excellent build quality, solid sound the doors make when closing, high quality leather on steering wheel and shifter

replace rear drum brakes with disc brakes, add Eco automatic's fold down center armrest with cupholders, make spare tire an option (I've had two sidewall punctures in 6 months on Michigan's horrible roads and the sealant didn't work), more solid shifter feel, higher quality cloth for the seats, more power - if Trifecta can reliably get 180 HP and 200 ft-lbs. of torque from this 1.4L, so can GM - Mercedes has a production 2.0L making 355 HP so 180 HP from a 1.4L is certainly doable

Safe, Reliable, Efficient
By revjimmy

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My '12 Cruze Eco is sneaking up on 30,000 miles, and I have no complaints. To date, I've driven it all over the South and Midwest; over its lifetime, it is averaging 33.4 MPG, and that's with a LOT of city driving.
With one exception, I haven't had it in the shop once for service other than routine and recall work. That one exception was no fault of the car - an adult buck whitetail deer ran out in front of me while I was going 70 MPH, and even then, the car excelled - there was no frame damage, I was completely unhurt, and though it cost my insurance company a good chunk of change, the car was repairable to factory spec.
UPDATED: Just passed 60,000 miles. A piece of the "Eco" system died a few months back, and it ended up costing me nearly $1,000 to have it fixed, but aside from that, the car continues to perform admirably. I will probably be trading it in within the next year, but it's been a fantastic car for me so far.