Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Great small car
By karl_swift

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I use this car on a daily basis, for both city and highway driving. I average about 35 MPH, and the cruze does not use a drop on oil, between 6,000 mile changes. Most of my driving is highway in excess of 70 MPH. The vehicle currently has over 40,000, and i have no complaints.

Favorite Features

The turbo has lots of power and great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a better seat.

My first car
By kenny61

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't praise this car enough. From the moment I got it, I was in love. It had such a great pick up, it was "peppy". There was enough space for a teen to live in it! It was my own. My car saved my life in an accident on the freeway. My car gave her life for me. The damage outside was unrepairable, while the damage inside was nonexistent. I owe my life to my Old Girl, and I'll never forget it. If you're a parent, this car will keep your safe young driver safe from unsafe drivers.

Favorite Features

I never really had to worry about buying gas. There was plenty of space for everything I needed to leave for a week to stay in the car at all times. There was room for my bari sax, two tenor saxes, and three other passengers.

Don't buy it
By cg07

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

At first I was impressed of the interior, very spacious, nice looking, but less than a year of having it star having issues with the check engine light it took about 3 weeks to find out the problem, and it was a gasket replacement from the engine, after some months other issues with oil sensors and also the car accelerated on its own for no reason even while parked, before 40,000 miles water pump needed to be replaced car overheated and absorb all antifreeze. Is a very nice looking car and features are pretty but that does not replace the worrying on parts when car is still new and should be only taken for regular oil change and services.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, so round system sport seats and interior in general

45K Update for Manual Eco
By gep10

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My overall mileage is 37.5 MPG (computer) for 45,000 miles which is about 35 MPG actual. Not a single issue; just routine maintenance. On one leg of a 1500 mile trip last summer the DIC showed 52.4 MPG driving 5 MPH over Virginia's 55 MPH and 65 MPH limits with the A/C on. I added the Trifecta tune which adds 30% HP and 40% torque and, combined with the nimble handling, makes this car a lot of fun to drive. Overall, I highly recommend the Cruze Eco manual. Two of my BMW driving friends were very complimentary after a test drive. One wanted to trade his 5 series for it and the other, a 3 series driver looking for a sporty & fuel efficient American four door, is making this his next car.

Favorite Features

Great mileage, gets better than EPA 42 MPG hwy rating on trips, very quiet and upscale interior, refined control feel, responsive handling, good steering feedback, optional Pioneer audio system sounds sweet, convenient Blue Tooth hands off phone, back up warning works well, optional Nav system works great and is easy to read and operate, cruise control system is excellent, fog lights really light up the road, the engine is very smooth and sounds sweet when you wind it out to 6,500 RPM, huge trunk, near mid-size interior room, fold down back seat, solid structure, excellent build quality, solid sound the doors make when closing, high quality leather on steering wheel and shifter

Suggested Improvements

replace rear drum brakes with disc brakes, add Eco automatic's fold down center armrest with cupholders, make spare tire an option (I've had two sidewall punctures in 6 months on Michigan's horrible roads and the sealant didn't work), more solid shifter feel, higher quality cloth for the seats, more power - if Trifecta can reliably get 180 HP and 200 ft-lbs. of torque from this 1.4L, so can GM - Mercedes has a production 2.0L making 355 HP so 180 HP from a 1.4L is certainly doable

Safe, Reliable, Efficient
By revjimmy

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My '12 Cruze Eco is sneaking up on 30,000 miles, and I have no complaints. To date, I've driven it all over the South and Midwest; over its lifetime, it is averaging 33.4 MPG, and that's with a LOT of city driving. With one exception, I haven't had it in the shop once for service other than routine and recall work. That one exception was no fault of the car - an adult buck whitetail deer ran out in front of me while I was going 70 MPH, and even then, the car excelled - there was no frame damage, I was completely unhurt, and though it cost my insurance company a good chunk of change, the car was repairable to factory spec.

Favorite Features

I very much like being able to control the entertainment system and cruise control with my thumbs; the MyLink info center in front of the steering wheel is also highly useful. The car has outstanding acceleration and, except on the steepest of uphill grades, has no problem maintaining speed.

Suggested Improvements

The only issue I have is that sometimes the nav/entertainment system will either hang up or crash. It will usually automatically reboot; however, there have been a couple of occasions when I have actually had to turn off my car in order for the system to restart. However, it doesn't happen very often, and it's not an essential safety feature, so I'm not too terribly concerned.