2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:
My first car
By kenny61 on 01/22/15 19:41 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't praise this car enough. From the moment I got it, I was in love. It had such a great pick up, it was "peppy". There was enough space for a teen to live in it! It was my own. My car saved my life in an accident on the freeway. My car gave her life for me. The damage outside was unrepairable, while the damage inside was nonexistent. I owe my life to my Old Girl, and I'll never forget it. If you're a parent, this car will keep your safe young driver safe from unsafe drivers.

Don't buy it
By cg07 on 01/09/15 07:19 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

At first I was impressed of the interior, very spacious, nice looking, but less than a year of having it star having issues with the check engine light it took about 3 weeks to find out the problem, and it was a gasket replacement from the engine, after some months other issues with oil sensors and also the car accelerated on its own for no reason even while parked, before 40,000 miles water pump needed to be replaced car overheated and absorb all antifreeze. Is a very nice looking car and features are pretty but that does not replace the worrying on parts when car is still new and should be only taken for regular oil change and services.

45K Update for Manual Eco
By gep10 on 11/13/14 05:51 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My overall mileage is 37.5 MPG (computer) for 45,000 miles which is about 35 MPG actual. Not a single issue; just routine maintenance. On one leg of a 1500 mile trip last summer the DIC showed 52.4 MPG driving 5 MPH over Virginia's 55 MPH and 65 MPH limits with the A/C on. I added the Trifecta tune which adds 30% HP and 40% torque and, combined with the nimble handling, makes this car a lot of fun to drive. Overall, I highly recommend the Cruze Eco manual. Two of my BMW driving friends were very complimentary after a test drive. One wanted to trade his 5 series for it and the other, a 3 series driver looking for a sporty & fuel efficient American four door, is making this his next car.

Safe, Reliable, Efficient
By revjimmy on 05/14/14 09:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My '12 Cruze Eco is sneaking up on 30,000 miles, and I have no complaints. To date, I've driven it all over the South and Midwest; over its lifetime, it is averaging 33.4 MPG, and that's with a LOT of city driving. With one exception, I haven't had it in the shop once for service other than routine and recall work. That one exception was no fault of the car - an adult buck whitetail deer ran out in front of me while I was going 70 MPH, and even then, the car excelled - there was no frame damage, I was completely unhurt, and though it cost my insurance company a good chunk of change, the car was repairable to factory spec.

Loved my cruze until now! beware
By rae_xo on 05/11/14 17:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my piece of crap dodge avenger in for another piece of crap. thought maybe getting a chevy would give me a better piece of mind. Got my cruze used with 32k miles and ive had it for 7 months now. The gas mileage is a complete joke! Ive never gotten over 35MPG even driving highway! Lately it lags shifting gears and take a few minutes to actually do so and it has also had alot of idling problem! chugging while sitting at red lights and drive-thrus. each dealership i go to tells me there is nothing they can do about it, but ive seen so many people with the same problems! please save your time, energy, and money

Scared for my life at 10k miles
By chevycruzeh8er on 02/20/14 11:31 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

bought my car March 2012, been having hard shifting problems and just last month the transmission module failed completely and had to be replaced (9,500 miles). I was sitting in the car on idle and it felt like a brick was dropped into my engine with a thud, engine light came on and trying to drive it to the side was like driving a golf cart. Still having hard shifting problems, got it back from the dealership yesterday and apparently the hard shifting is a "feature" of the car, I don't even feel safe driving this car anymore because I'm scared of getting rear ended when the car hard shifts on the freeway and pulls so hard back that if there was somebody tailing me they would crash into me.

2 years 44.5k mile review
By natalie14 on 12/03/13 05:22 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My vehicle is a black fully loaded ltz rs with nav. The paint has a bit of eggshell reflection so it is not the highest quality but it still looks nice and has minimal chips considering the ammount of highway driving that I do. My front seat used to make noise. Dealer tightened the bolts and replaced a clip. No squeaks or rattles after that. No mechanical problems in nearly 45k miles with only basic maintenance done on the vehicle. Ride quality is smooth and predictable. Acceleration is good enough to get on the highway with no problems and pass slow vehicles. When not stomping on the gas and driving normally the mpg is in the upper 30s to low 40s unless going up hill.

GM MAKES HORRIBLE VEHICLES
By smwavon on 12/02/13 18:12 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Horrible vehicle. I have had nothing but problems. Car revives up and has problem shifting in automatic. I was able to move to manual one time and noticed that going 35 miles an hour the computer had me in 5th gear when I was in automatic. I almost rear ended a semi because the car lunged forward. Sometimes anti freeze smell leaves the engine and comes into the cabin of the car; I have three small children and it's either smell the anti freeze or freeze in the winter. I have had the car overheat on me and have to shut it off for no reason at all; fluids were all at normal levels. I have had the breaks decide to not work on me and ended up in a middle of an intersection and three months later

Great value
By cscott952 on 10/11/13 19:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm very happy with my Cruze. I have about 13k miles on it, and still feel its a great value. I have driven/owned many types of cars, and I'm still quite impressed with this car for the money. It's my daily driver, and general use car. Since the turbo engine has a broad power band, its very driveable. Its not fast, but responsive enough to make it nice to drive. The engine idles very smoothly too. The cabin is quiet at highway speeds, and the seats are comfortable on long drives. Aside from the armrest, I have not complaints!

Poor Fuel Economy
By romantilly on 08/27/13 18:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the Chevrolet Cruze 1 year ago after reviewing and driving many other models. I needed something with good fuel economy because I drive 130 miles to work each way. The car was advertised at 30+ for city and 42 for highway. About 90% of my driving is straight highway miles at 75 mph with the vehicle on cruise control. My average fuel economy on highway has dropped from 32-35 to less than 30, and around town from high 20's to low to mid 20's. The car does not deliver what it advertises.