2012 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:
45K Update for Manual Eco
By gep10 on 11/13/14 05:51 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My overall mileage is 37.5 MPG (computer) for 45,000 miles which is about 35 MPG actual. Not a single issue; just routine maintenance. On one leg of a 1500 mile trip last summer the DIC showed 52.4 MPG driving 5 MPH over Virginia's 55 MPH and 65 MPH limits with the A/C on. I added the Trifecta tune which adds 30% HP and 40% torque and, combined with the nimble handling, makes this car a lot of fun to drive. Overall, I highly recommend the Cruze Eco manual. Two of my BMW driving friends were very complimentary after a test drive. One wanted to trade his 5 series for it and the other, a 3 series driver looking for a sporty & fuel efficient American four door, is making this his next car.

Safe, Reliable, Efficient
By revjimmy on 05/14/14 09:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My '12 Cruze Eco is sneaking up on 30,000 miles, and I have no complaints. To date, I've driven it all over the South and Midwest; over its lifetime, it is averaging 33.4 MPG, and that's with a LOT of city driving. With one exception, I haven't had it in the shop once for service other than routine and recall work. That one exception was no fault of the car - an adult buck whitetail deer ran out in front of me while I was going 70 MPH, and even then, the car excelled - there was no frame damage, I was completely unhurt, and though it cost my insurance company a good chunk of change, the car was repairable to factory spec.

GM MAKES HORRIBLE VEHICLES
By smwavon on 12/02/13 18:12 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Horrible vehicle. I have had nothing but problems. Car revives up and has problem shifting in automatic. I was able to move to manual one time and noticed that going 35 miles an hour the computer had me in 5th gear when I was in automatic. I almost rear ended a semi because the car lunged forward. Sometimes anti freeze smell leaves the engine and comes into the cabin of the car; I have three small children and it's either smell the anti freeze or freeze in the winter. I have had the car overheat on me and have to shut it off for no reason at all; fluids were all at normal levels. I have had the breaks decide to not work on me and ended up in a middle of an intersection and three months later

Great Car
By denman98 on 05/22/13 01:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have 13,500 miles on a 2012 Cruze eco. The mileage is phenomenal. Took a trip last weekend through the mountains and averaged over 50 mpg. 13,500 miles and no problems to report. The only small issue is the placement of the hot-cold dial for the climate control, the way I sit in the car my leg rests on it and sometimes I inadvertently turn it, otherwise, great car.

By nickie3 on 04/20/13 05:04 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been rear ended twice now and I have to say this is the best car so far on safety, hardly no damage on the bumper at all this last wreck I was in and I was hit hard all it did was scratch the paint, more damage was to the vehicle that hit me. So five stars on the safety/ build of this car! My cruze is the ECO model automatic not manual it wouldn't pull the correct one up.

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!
By timberly1987 on 03/08/13 16:46 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Where do I start, while I love the look of the car and the gas mileage.. thats all I got.. I have had nothing but problems with it, the e-break doesnt hold and I've had to stop it from rolling down a hill,. The pins that hold the fuses in all broke and fuses fell out, making my dashboard and electronics not work, my trunk is always popping open randomly, so I cant store anything in it. my rear defrosters dont work, my window striping had to be replaced, the radio sounds horible. No cup holders in the back (MAJOR inconvience) The seat belt strap cannot be used in the lowest setting, it doesnt retract and cuts my neck

Awesome Car for a Great Price
By danmessina on 01/13/13 18:57 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I researched the Cruze for several months before purchasing a used 2012 ECO and couldn't be more pleased with my decision. The engine, though small, provides snappy acceleration while delivering 37 mpg in the city and 45 mpg highway in a sporty package. A word of caution for tall folks...if the driver is over 5'10" forget about legroom for passenger behind driver.

DO NOT BUY A 2012 CHEVY CRUZ ECO
By mbennett1 on 12/14/12 16:52 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I wish I would have done my homework before I purchased this car. -tires not holding air -steering wheel shakes when stopping -film on windows after using defrost -rattle around dash cant find -air comes in the windows while driving and dust is endless -radio is static and speakers are muffled -too many compartments, u think texting is bad -inside door gets wet and dirty -when you open the trunk and its raining all the water pours into the trunk all over -no spare tire -no room for passengers in the back -key is too bulky and you will be surprised when returning from shopping the trunk will be open -pings when shifts from first to second -gas calculation does not match comp.

My first cardefinitely a good choice
By jlm14 on 12/05/12 09:52 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My family had always been all about Honda's (and my dad a BMW person). This car has impressed me. 13,000 miles, no issues. The six speed manual is fun. My drives from Chicago to Champaign get me ~43 MPG at 75 mph cruise ctrl. I have seen as best as 46 MPG (65mph hwy) and worst 36 MPG (city). I see mixed 39-40 avg. These numbers are from my own calcs. Solid drive for a 1.4, turbo picks up, the interior isn't great but looks decent. Good lines looks elegant for a compact sedan. Bluetooth works all the time for me, good sound, very quite ride, and smooth. Takes awhile to learn how to use the gears properly, 4-6th are all O/D gears so I use 3rd to pass a lot. Overall, good, I recommend.

Totally Impressed
By cadeleon on 11/18/12 05:52 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased over a year ago and all I can say is I have been impressed. We have over 16.0K miles. Have taken many road trips and it is quiet and comfortable. Mileage has been as advertised, though the more you go over 70MPH tends to lower MPG. Our average for the year has been 35 MPG. This calculation does not/has never matched car computer. Only issue was the recall of which the dealer took care of with no issue. I would recommend to anyone.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze in VA is:

$137 per month*