Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Gas Mileage Superhero
By Ron Potter

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

From day one I averaged 50MPG or better. Driving is mixed city and highway, usually with no other passengers. On a trip from Ohio to Florida with two passengers plus driver and luggage, running between 75-80 interstate with air on we still averaged 49 MPG. I have saved enough on fuel expense over my Ford Crewcab Gas to pay for the car. I have always driven either Mercedes or BMWs for daily use and this was my first new American car in 15 years....wished I had tried them before.

Owner of a 2012
By Guess who

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car for long or short distances in regards to gas mileage. I drove from NY to DC on 1 tank of gas ( not bad). It can be quit snug if you're 6' or taller and getting out can be a pain in the butt. I have had 3 recalls on the car but nothing serious and everything was covered by manufacturer.

Honeymoon Is Over
By John Philips

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 2012 Cruze Eco since 2012 and it now has 65,000 miles on it. Until recently I did not have one issue with the car that wasn't covered under warranty. The car has also been recalled about 5 times, again for free repair and not for anything that ever impacted the way the car operated.

My dealer, Wind Gap Chevy in Wind Gap, PA is a really good dealer with an excellent service department. I'd recommend them to anyone and buy from them again.

Recently I had a pool of oil under the car and was told it was a broken oil line which connected to the turbocharger. This in my opinion is that infamous Chevy "quality" rearing its ugly head. Something like this should not fail in any car with my mileage. This repair was not covered under warranty, but was relatively inexpensive to fix, only $120.

I have owned two Chevys in the past and had horrible quality problems. It took me more than a decade to get back into my Cruze, which I still enjoy. It's fun to drive and has some points to it that are much nicer than any other car in its price class.

I'm beginning to question whether I should trade it as I am nervous that more repairs on on the horizon. Just rented a Honda Civic which is very nice, but I'm also keeping an eye on the 2017 Cruze redesign.

2012 Chevy Cruze Eco
By Dan Schnura

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The point of this vehicle is to get you from point a to b and get great gas milage. To start with the cruze has a very good price, you don't get much but what do you need, its a family sedan. I wanted the chrome rims (not sure if there real chrome, i think its plastic) and the metallic red paint. It does look good, it has some sporty lines and curves but can still be seen as a family sedan. The interior is good, nothing special, has a great bass if your into that. The aux cord is extremely easy to use and the radio cranks. The gas is great, I've never gotten 43 mpg but 38.5 mpg does me well. Then we move to the things that the cruze really isn't made for, performance. The ride quality is fine, it has nice front shocks and the rear is a multi-link independent rear suspension. The suspension seems like it would have a lot of easy aftermarket support if your into spicing your sedan up. But I have beat the crap out of the cruze, from driving and drifting on gravel roads at speeds around 80mph sometimes, jumped it in a parking lot once and drove on a pretty deep mud/gravel road. I live where the houses are spaced out and the roads are bumpy, curvy and hilly. I went for a fast drive down a road thats narrow and bumpy, a road rally type road, the road is fast and has sudden turns. But the engine heats up after heavy use fast. The radiator and fan were running for a while after this drive. The acceleration is great for a 1.4 liter turbo eco engine, but the engine needs some work, the turbo lag is horrendous, you floor it, wait a few seconds then the engine launches to a high rpm and its screaming. I find the shifter amazing and really useful, i use it for traffic and messing around, i feel as though thats a must for the car because the transmission sucks, only when your actually using the shifter correctly does the performance improve. Another thing is the brakes are amazing, for a few hours, (there useless as hell in heavy rain and snow), then the become trash. They obviously over heat and start to vibrate terribly, but all that is under heavy use. Overall, I've driven to florida without a problem, beat on some gravel and puddle roads with the kids, and use it to get to chicago on the weekdays. It does seem to wanna get to the 43 mpg easily but I haven't reached it. Its a great family car, first starter car and oddly a great platform for some type of racing or preformance vehicle, it has a lot of potential in that aspect.

My first car
By kenny61

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't praise this car enough. From the moment I got it, I was in love. It had such a great pick up, it was "peppy". There was enough space for a teen to live in it! It was my own. My car saved my life in an accident on the freeway. My car gave her life for me. The damage outside was unrepairable, while the damage inside was nonexistent. I owe my life to my Old Girl, and I'll never forget it. If you're a parent, this car will keep your safe young driver safe from unsafe drivers.

I never really had to worry about buying gas. There was plenty of space for everything I needed to leave for a week to stay in the car at all times. There was room for my bari sax, two tenor saxes, and three other passengers.