Surprising
By cruzeecoowner on
2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I bought a Cruze eco model about two weeks ago. I can't believe I'm averaging 39 mpg in mixed driving in hill country on the first two tanks of gas. I would have been happy with 29 in the kind of driving I do in hilly terrain of SW Pennsylvania. The car does seem to kind of glide without much effort and I drive it conservatively on the highway letting it coast down hills at times around the speed limit--often having to slow it down a bit. The high range gears also pull hills better than I expected--even the 6th gear. The car is also fun to drive in the city where I work and must commute during the work week. It is quick, with more feedback and precise handling than I'd expected.
Favorite Features
fuel efficiency, build and refinement, size, color--black granite, wheels, handling, value
Suggested Improvements
Nothing so far. I'd be a lot more likely to become on ongoing OnStar subscriber if it could be shared with my cell phone account and calls forwarded to it. I guess that would make too much sense.
By bricknord
on 05/02/11 16:07 PM (PDT)

This is a case where the manual transmission is the way to go. The combination of a relatively heavy car, a small displacement turbo engine, and an automatic transmission really works against the Cruze. It's amazing how much better the car performs with a stick shift. The automatic/1.4t combo really, really drags the Cruze down. The Eco 6M trim is clearly the best way to buy a Cruze. Ironically, GM usually does well with smooth automatics, but the Cruze is the exception.

By ambee514
on 02/23/11 04:17 AM (PST)

I would agree that this car is surprising. I test drove a Cruze LS and was underwhelmed with it, Tried the Eco and found it to be MUCH better.

By cruzeecoowner
on 03/10/11 20:40 PM (PST)

Yes I have a 6spd manual. Since my original post I am consistently getting above 36 mpg on it in the first 1500 miles. I am pretty easy on the pedal. I have really enjoyed this car so far.

By jrh0912
on 02/23/11 15:39 PM (PST)

I'm only getting 31mpg in mixed driving. Do you have the manual transmission?