Not quite there yet, but close
By bricknord on
2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Thought it was time to buy my first domestic since mid-90's. Got a Cruze Eco. Great firm seats and suspension, plenty of power. Super quiet. 37MPG average. Unfortunately, just what I was afraid of and what kept me buying asian--lots of paint defects, A/C inoperative, gauge needles randomly peg full right and back. Thankfully, I had a wonderfully gracious dealer sales manager who let me take my bulletproof Mazda back, since I (and they) were so disappointed in the car. Sad, because I really liked it, but the attention to detail and quality control are still not quite up to the level of the Japanese. I'll give GM another try in 10 more years.
Favorite Features
Quiet. Fuel efficiency. Manual transmission available. Nice firm front seats.
Suggested Improvements
GM, you would have converted a confirmed import driver if you had decent quality control. No way should someone in your paint shop have let my car pass. Also, tell your dealer techs to actually check things like AC function at PDI. The only other new domestic car I've ever purchased was a 1996 Saturn SL...which Saturn bought back because it had problems they couldn't fix. I gave you another chance...and you blew it. Thank you, thank you to my dealer for coming through in the end. This is twice you've let me down on new car purchases. It will be tough to justify giving you a third chance.
By mikey1978
on 05/02/11 19:35 PM (PDT)

I think it's wise to stay away from first year cars anyway. I hope they address those shortcomings though. Detroit's making huge progress as of late but I think in due time they'll definitely be where they need to be. I just bought a new Corolla and yes they are reliable but it just doesn't seem special as they're a dime a dozen. Every time I see one of these new Cruze's especially the LTZ I just can't take my eyes away from it. I'll probably wait for next year's model.

By bricknord
on 05/02/11 15:59 PM (PDT)

mikey, the interior quality on my Cruze was great. The paint was terrible, the AC never worked properly, and the gauges had random episodes of possession by the devil. You're right, materials quality was good. Execution was poor. If my Japanese cars had numerous paint defects, inop AC, and demonic gauges, I would be just as disappointed. I can only go by my personal experience, and in my experience, the quality control of the Cruze is subpar. Someone needs to up the vigilance level at the plant. The design and concept are great, just poor execution.

By mikey1978
on 05/01/11 09:20 AM (PDT)

Are you kidding me? You should have kept the Cruze...its sooo much better than anything Japanese in it's class. The fit and finish and quality of materials in the Cruze is miles ahead of the so called standards Corolla and Civic or Mazda3. I test drove a new Mazda6 recently and interior was already falling apart. Went to see the Cruze and was shocked at the level of quality in this class. Big mistake!

By frank908
on 06/08/11 14:51 PM (PDT)

I find your story hard to believe. You were in the market for a new car, bought the Cruze, traded in your Mazda3, decided that you didn't like it for nit picky reasons and your "dealer" sales manager accepts this a reason to take it back and give you your Mazda back to you? How come you didn't go out an but a new Mazda 3 then. All of sudden you were okay with the car you wanted to get rid of? This story is just that, a story and someone who has a bone to pick with American car companies.