Cruze is nice, but real mpg very disappointing
By chevy68 on
2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
The Cruze LS 1.8L with 6-speed auto trans is a solid car. Nice styling, interior, features, ride and handling. However, highway mpg is not as advertised. I am only getting 28-29 mpg on 98% highway driving. By comparison, I always get the EPA mpg on my other vehicles. 6-7 mpg below the sticker value does not cut it. I made a decision to buy the Cruze over the Civic because of the great styling and features along with an advertised 35 mpg highway. I am now second guessing my decision based on the poor numbers.
Favorite Features
Styling, handling, safety, interior, bluetooth
Suggested Improvements
Still a bit behind Ford's Sync system. Real world highway fuel economy is lousy.
By markrt06
on 01/18/11 07:02 AM (PST)

Your mileage drops off considerably for speeds above 70mph, since you are simply fighting air/wind resistance & not the mass of the vehicle. Every 10mph above 65 roughly equates to a drop of 10%(~3-4mpg) in fuel economy. Try your mileage runs at 65mph & of course allow the vehicle to break in for a few 1000 miles. Winter weather & temps can adversely affect fuel economy also.

By main1462
on 01/23/11 19:37 PM (PST)

I, too, am very disappointed with the MPGs. I just bought a Cruze LS with 6-speed manual transmission. I traded in my 2009 Cobalt LS, also a manual transmission. With the Cobalt, I averaged 32 mpg with in-town driving in the winter. It was great. Our town is spread out, and I pick routes with very few starts and stops and the Cobalt returned very good MPGs. (In the summer, it would average 35-36.) Well, on these same routes in the winter, the Cruze is getting only 22 mpg. I wish I'd kept the Cobalt. The Cruze is very nice otherwise - nice handling, great design - but this is the first car I've owned where I can't beat the MPGs on the sticker. This car really seems to drink gas during starts and stops. I often filled up my Cobalt with gas every 100 miles just to keep tabs on the city MPGs. It usually took just 2.9 - 3.1 gallons. With the Cruze, my first two 100-mile fill-ups have taken 4.6 and 4.5 gallons! A friend said the car needs to be "broken in," but I got great MPGs with the Cobalt from day one.

By main1462
on 03/04/11 19:26 PM (PST)

UPDATE ON MY 1/23 POST: Cold weather seems to GREATLY affect MPGs on the Cruze, more than any car I've ever owned. Temperatures have warmed into the 50s and 60s here now, and the MPGs are tons better. Two days ago, I drove the car on a 10-mile trip at 55 mph, temperature 32. The MPG was only 33.4. Later that day when it warmed to 60 degress, the MPG on the same 10-mile route jumped to 46.2 MPG! Today, with a temperature of 65, a 20-mile highway trip at 55-60 mph with two small towns at 30 miles per hour yielded 47.5 MPG! The same trip last month got me in the low 30s. On cold mornings (in the 30s or lower), this car really drinks a lot of gas as it warms up and is pretty inefficient overall. So, it appears I will love this car from spring through fall, and I will be less than thrilled in the winter. By the way, my last fill-up at 100 miles for mostly in-town driving with temps in the 40s to 60s took just under 3 gallons -- 33 MPG! (I use the same pump every time for consistency). This sure beats my cold-weather, in-town, 100-mile fill-ups that took 4.5 gallons.

By cruzing11
on 02/17/11 18:08 PM (PST)

Bought a cruze LT1 3 weeks ago and I am disappointed in the MPG average. I drive about 100 miles each day with 60 miles at 70 mph, 30 miles at 65 to 55 and 10 miles in very mild stop and go traffic. My average is about 31 pg over the first 2500 miles. I had hoped to average 34 to 35 mpg. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of head room and more than enought leg room. The interior is very nice making you feel like your driving a much more expensive car. At hwy speeds 70 -72 mph the car is as quiet as my wife's Linclon MKS just does not ride as well. love the car disappointed with MPG average so far. Hopefully with a few more miles on the car mpg ave will improve. Car is very solid and appears to be very well built.

By pandadisco
on 03/22/11 22:24 PM (PDT)

main1462 is very much correct, I constantly hear people complaining about harsh MPG even though I work at Toyota and most of our cars get 25MPG+ there is a lot of factors that ruin your MPG during the winter, especially if you live in the more northern areas. http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm That site explains a lot of what I am trying to say, so I would go along with that for many of the reasons your car might not be getting the MPG advertised. Even my old 4.0L got worse mileage in the winter compared to the summer months. Heat definitely helps the situation. Good luck with your car!