Considering a Cruze Eco for the MPG, you'll be dissappointed
By grockin2004 on
2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Just put my first 5,000 miles on my new 2011 Cruze. Living with the car is much different than my first impressions. I commute about 90 miles a day with 90% of my drive time spent on a freeway and the cruise control set at 60 - 65 MPH. Average MPG : 36.6 I reset the meter at the beginning of my work week. By Friday, same result. Seats are a little too stiff for long distances. Arm rests are non-existent. The tiny center console lid slides forward a little, but does not lock into the forward position. Hard to get comfortable. Automatic transmission refuses to up shift until engine is near red line and down shifts too soon when coming to a stop. Irritating at times! Good engine power.
Favorite Features
Nice looking car.
Suggested Improvements
Side mirrors are a joke. Better interior storage, larger center console. Better shifting automatic transmission.
By ryanclowe29
on 02/28/12 14:12 PM (PST)

Actually, I thought that the ECO was only offered in the manual transmission, so this model couldn't have been an ECO. It's a bit of advertising trickery where the 42 MPG gets you into the dealer, but then you want an automatic so you don't get the ECO. I admit that driving under 65 is painfully slow, but 36.6 isn't that bad for a car that weighs over 3100 pounds.

By bricknord
on 09/30/11 14:08 PM (PDT)

I think you're doing pretty well averaging over 36mpg with an automatic transmission Cruze and a green engine with <5k miles on it. Sounds like that falls right in the range of MPG indicated on your window sticker. Show me another non-diesel car that averages almost 37mpg that's as solid and quiet as the Cruze. A short list. Of course, if I was the sarcastic type, I'd point out that anyone in their right mind who was really interested in fuel economy and drove primarily highway would have picked the stick shift ECO.