After two years with Cruze LTZ
By tat1739 on
2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
To follow up with my initial review of the Cruz and my experience, I submit this information. I have been in my car for over 2 years (original owner). Gas mileage is inconsistent - tends to be near the lower end of manufacture claims. Expect 25 in city/32 highway. Advertised 40 is possible, if alone, on cruise, no cargo, and going speed limit. Problems: at 28K miles, I am dealing with a leaky transmission, leaky water pump and radiator. I now have doubts over the quality & reliability. My experience with car ownership has always been: once you start putting money into the car, you keep putting money in the car. Is this going to be my destiny??
Favorite Features
I still like the interior design. The instrument panel/lighted dash is nice. I'm 5'5" and feel the car is perfectly sized for me - a small car with a big car feel. Pep in engine with turbo is a 4-cylinder car's best friend. Back up sensors are an asset and should be a requirement of all cars; it is THAT beneficial.
Suggested Improvements
The console armrest is wimpy and remains annoying. Even when armrest is moved forward, it still lacks space to rest elbow comfortably and has ZERO value. A higher hatchback version of the Cruz would be nice. A few extra inches in height would make getting in and out much nicer. The fan on heat/ac feature is loud and annoying. Trunk release is needed inside car. (You currently have to take key out of ignition and open trunk. Interior gas lid release.
By tat1739
on 05/19/13 13:11 PM (PDT)

As a follow up - transmission seals replaced. In addition, replacement of leaking water pump and something else re. the radiator. Well over $2000 in repairs outside of warranty. Car back in the garage within a week. Rough and high rpm idle and hesitancy in finding correct gear and no response when demanding increase of speed. All they found was that the motor mount or something wasn't properly seated. WTH? Back in the car for 3 days, one other occurrence with what I describe as 'looking for the right gear' - my car is not the same. I'm now told that I'm more in-tune with my car. I call BS! I did a lot of research and put a lot of thought behind this purchase. I haven't had a Chevy since 1980, which I insisted would be the last one I would ever own! (It was that bad!) My love affair with this car now lacks luster from how it was when I posted twice before on this car. They may have lost me for good.