Used 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Six month update
By katydid1

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I previously wrote a review on my Cruze Eco over 5 months ago after having it for two weeks. Well, it's been six months now and I am still really happy with it and I am now averaging 34.5mpg between half highway and half city driving. I did drive over 500 miles each way to Ohio and it performed well and was very comfortable too. I am also very proud to own a Lordstown-made Cruze as I grew up very close to there and know that it was made well by good local UAW workers.

1 year review, love our Cruze
By ricksreview

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have over 25,000k already. The Cruze has been very dependable. It continues to feel solid and well built. We are getting average of 38mpg with a loaded model with automatic transmission. Bought as a commuter car and we could not be more pleased with it!

Favorite Features

Looks, drives, and feels much more upscale than the price would suggest. So far much more reliable than the 03 Jetta i traded in.

Suggested Improvements

I would like another 60 or so hp with the same fuel economy.

***BUYER BEWARE***POOR RELIABILITY WITH THE LOWEST-SCORE AVAILABLE, ACCORDING TO CONSUMER REPORTS...
By waltchan

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I hate this car now. I have been scammed and tricked from General Motors with all these flashy advertisements claiming better quality and reliability. Yeah, right... The Chevrolet Cruze scored the LOWEST in reliability of any small sedans, and it's rated at the very-bottom of the chart, with a poor (black dot) reliability score, according to Consumer Reports. How can this be quality??? The new, over-hyped 2011 Chevrolet Cruze is NOT any better than the 1980 Chevrolet Citation we had before with the same, poor reliability score as well. I now will learn to never buy any American-name car without waiting for Consumer Reports advice. GM should refund my money for false claims on reliability.

Favorite Features

None. Always stick to Japanese-name cars that are reliably proven for years. I blew out $22,000 to the ocean for nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability score to above-average or better to compete well with Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, and Nissan. GM should refund my money for false claims on improved reliability. If there is any lawsuit going on for false claims by GM for improved reliability, I will be happy to join in.

ECO M/T STAY AWAY! ---- Bad GM cust. service!
By cruzect11

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got my 2011 cruze eco just over 2 months ago after having a cruze lt auto as a rental which was great! But now with my eco since day one if you have the ac on and you put it in first gear and give it some gas the car shuts off yes totally dies! Been almost hit tons of times pulling out places and sitting in traffic. The car sat at the dealer for over a month after they so called cant find anything wrong with it i get it back and it dies that day. Long story short this isnt the only cruze eco with the problem and chevy will not stand behind their product! The car is nice and rides good but thats when it runs. Stay far away from the eco! Anyone looking at any GM product cust service is BAD!

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind their product. Consumers do your homework on this car. Lots of used ones for sale cause of problems!

GM's Volvo?
By thkpic

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Has enouph character to challenge a mid-size while dominating the B-segment. With a moderately raked side profile, swooping tail lights and corporate grill there's enouph design oomph to keep you interested either at the grocery store or in the showroom. Get inside and the quite cabin spanks you with sophistication while trying to detract you from the few hard plastics scattered about. The center consoles easy straight forward layout makes changing the channel, locking the doors or plugging in a IPOD childs play.

Favorite Features

If anything sticks out as unexpected it would be the modest acceleration when this 1.4L Turbo is matted to the 6 speed manual. I appreciate GM didn't cheap out on six gears by only offering five like the Ford Focus. The mesh dash trim helps break up some of the harder plastics and adds a nicer touch to the cabin while the taillights and grill clearly belong a step up from this class. Call it eye trickery, but a few small touches go a long way to creating that premium feel. One other unexpected was the engine cabin. Well laid out, easy to reach parts make this vehicle a shade tree mechanics dream. Alternator, starter and drive belts all within reach- very nice indeed should I go for 300k.

Suggested Improvements

Twitchy steering. Some might mistaken this for sport like razor sharp steering- not so. In a small FWD car it just doesn't belong- atleast without the proper suspension wizardry mechanics to warrent such attention grabbing turn-in. Needs constant driver input. Inside door handles require you to pull twice to open the door. Got that? You don't get out until you pull it twice...child safety feature they say. Really? What child is in the drivers seat? Although safetly lock switches are absent on the back door. My guess, the double dipping door handles are cheaper. That might get annoying. That aside I think the powertrain overshadows all these shortcomings. Good car, doubt many regrets. 42MPG!!