Used 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Cruze

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

My third & final review
By tat1739

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I now am looking forward to selling my Cruze.
Tomorrow I will be back in the garage for a third transmission leak issue.
In addition to a water pump recall and an additional leak, and a radiator leak, and a recall on brakes, and a loose motor mount, I am officially done with this car. I remain satisfied with the interior, but feel that the exterior is looking 'dated' with new car styles coming out.
It does still get 40 mpg, when I drive on cruise, within the speed limit, on flat hwys and without cargo or passengers.
Otherwise, expect 27-32 mpg.
As a former Civic owner of 10 years without even one single issue, the car does not impress.

Dash remains impressive. Turbo charge on the 4 cylinder is a must-have; the engine will respond on sudden demands of speed. Auto start is another must have in the winter; this engine HATES cold weather!!! (My Civic, on the contrary, didn't care - it was always ready to go.) Blue tooth and bumper sensors are appreciated and should be mandatory on all cars.

The armrest remains annoying; simply put, it is too small and short. I am 5'5" and drive with my seat far back and my legs & arms fully extended - and even then, my elbow will not reach. With all the engine issues, the car is fully unreliable to me at this point. If not for this, it would be a good commuter car or round-the-town car. With cargo or even one additional passenger, the engine loses gumption; shifting becomes pronounced and labored.

After two years with Cruze LTZ
By tat1739

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

To follow up with my initial review of the Cruz and my experience, I submit this information.
I have been in my car for over 2 years (original owner).
Gas mileage is inconsistent - tends to be near the lower end of manufacture claims.
Expect 25 in city/32 highway. Advertised 40 is possible, if alone, on cruise, no cargo, and going speed limit.
Problems: at 28K miles, I am dealing with a leaky transmission, leaky water pump and radiator.
I now have doubts over the quality & reliability.
My experience with car ownership has always been: once you start putting money into the car, you keep putting money in the car.
Is this going to be my destiny??

I still like the interior design. The instrument panel/lighted dash is nice. I'm 5'5" and feel the car is perfectly sized for me - a small car with a big car feel. Pep in engine with turbo is a 4-cylinder car's best friend. Back up sensors are an asset and should be a requirement of all cars; it is THAT beneficial.

The console armrest is wimpy and remains annoying. Even when armrest is moved forward, it still lacks space to rest elbow comfortably and has ZERO value. A higher hatchback version of the Cruz would be nice. A few extra inches in height would make getting in and out much nicer. The fan on heat/ac feature is loud and annoying. Trunk release is needed inside car. (You currently have to take key out of ignition and open trunk. Interior gas lid release.

My Cruze experience
By ctryan1

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently purchased a used Chevy Cruze. A friend had purchased one brand new a few weeks earlier and he said he loved it. Well I am feeling the same way about ours. We purchased a used 2011 2LT with leather and it is great. Rides nice, feels solid and gets great gas mileage.

Not Impressed
By sepilyons

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I thought I had spent pleanty of time researching vehicles before purchasing (1 year) apparently not. Bought the car in Aug 2012 with about 20K miles on it, there are now about 34K on it, and I'm now beggining to notice strange noises. When the car is turned on and not moving the hood seems to vibrate very loud, and after about 10 min of running it sounds like it's going to die. Also there is now a thump type noise under my feet similar to a ball rolling around when I break or accelerate. I know all cars have issues but I guess I didn't expect problems in under a year or ownership. Now I'm stuck in a car for the next 6 years that I'm not 100% happy with! Kinda sucks!

I do however like the way the car looks, it's sporty for a 4 door, but doesn't drive very sporty. I thought with turbo it would feel like I wasn't driving a 4 cylinder but it shifts hard and doesn't have much get up and go (for a turbo). I also like the fact that the extended warrently was very cheap and bumper to bumper, I'm very glad I purchased that now with the start of some problems! The diver seat is very comfortable but the passenger seat is not at all, it sits much higher then the driver seat and I can't seem to figure out how to get it down! I love the leather seats, nice feature, what I didn't realize is how small the backseat is, Kids in carseats, doesn't work!

Overall I don't hate it, but I'm not impressed and probably will never buy another GM vehicle again. I'm a Dodge girl and should have stuck with Dodge!!!

Liked it for 1st year
By mnflyer

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I enjoyed my Cruze for the 1st year and a half, even though it had it's fair share of issues covered by warranty. It handled well enough and I felt it was a good value.
In 2 years I put on 43K miles mostly commuting on the highway.

During the warranty period, I had 2 cases of "check engine" light on which were caused by faulty sensors.
Also I had a steering issue whereby the steering would slightly stick at highway speeds.
It often had a strange groaning sound from the engine.

Biggest problem. "AC off due to engine overheat"
It took 5 trips to the dealer to fix it.

I wanted a car I could drive trouble free for many years and realized this wasn't it. I traded it in for a Hyundai.

Handling, size bluetooth phone interface, manual transmission.