Used 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Not one regret
By maxzillian

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car three weeks ago, used with 17,500 miles. I have since logged over 500 miles of mixed driving and so far my experience has been extremely positive. With mixed driving of 70% highway and doing one autocross event, the car still managed 35 mpg. Color me impressed! Handling is crisp and firm, reminding me of cars I've driven while in Europe. Even at 6'4", I find this compact car to be comfortable to drive, but rear seat space is lacking... it is a compact car after all. I find the 7-8 mpg gain over the typical midsize was worth sacrificing a little comfort for what few passengers I carry. Long story short, it's an economical car without the economy feeling.

Crisp and firm handling without being harsh. Adequate power for what the car is for. Good sounding audio system with iPod compatibility. A nice open engine bay that should be easy to work around when the time comes to perform my own repairs. Spacious trunk. Crisp feeling manual transmission. Zero backlash steering that makes the car respond instantly to inputs. I took the car autocrossing and was extremely impressed with how well it did.

I feel that the throttle response is too slow for a manual car. There is typically around 1/4 to 1/2 second of lag between stabbing the throttle and the engine responding that makes it difficult to upshift and downshift smoothly. I suspect it'd be barely perceptible in an automatic car. I also find the lack of a spare tire to be a bit ridiculous. I'd rather sacrifice a couple mpg in the city than have to rely on a tow to get home if my luck runs out and I rupture a tire. The B pillar sits too far forward for me and makes it difficult to reach out with my left arm to grab some fast food. The under tray recall is a hack job. I prefer to just power wash my engine bay to clean up any spilt oil.

My first new car since 2000 and I really like it!
By jemof2

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have read some post about the throttle response and I do agree. When starting from a complete stop, it seems to take forever to get going - I may try to put it in manual mode and see if it does the same thing. Also, when stopped on an uphill incline, I get a big jerk when I hit the gas to get out in traffic. Otherwise, this car is great! I traded in a 99 Caddy Seville for it because of all the problems it had. All I have done to this car so far is oil changes and I am at 21K miles. I am so happy to have a reliable car again!! I have children and the Caddy was constantly leaving us stranded on the interstate.

Sound system is great! Love the auxillary input so I can listen to Pandora. Roomy back seat. The large trunk is a nice surprise too! The folding rear seats. Gas mileage in town around 30 mpg, and on interstate up to 39. Like others, I found the sweet spot is around 62 mph to get that 39 mpg.

Better throttle response, easier shifting on inclines.

HATE THIS CAR!!
By sshotwell756

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Have had nothing but problems from day 1! Transmission, windows, doors, brakes, ac and to top it off it pulls to the right and they can't seen to get it fixed. Every single time it goes into service it's there at least a week and the last time 2 weeks. I have never had such a bad experience with a vehicle but this has ruined the excitement of buying a new car. It never even smelled new. The gas mileage sucks. I was told 28 mpg in the city and 42 on the hwy and it doesn't even come close. It's getting 20 - 22 city and 32 on the hwy. I don't know about other owners but I will never buy another Chevrolet.

It's pretty to look at but that's it.

More comfortable seats and fix the transmission!

Chevy Cruze 2012
By wildcatmom

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Fantastic car! I really like it. It seems a little snug at first but anything that it might lack in comfort it more than makes up for on the road. Gas mileage is unbelieveable and it handles well. Not like the 4 cylinders I remember from way-back-when.....definitely check this car out before you buy a any other!

Terrible Transmission!
By jennmck

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Transmission shifts hard which causes you to be jerked. It's like if someone were popping a clutch and this is in automatic!!! I have had it in the shop for the recalls and the transmission has been looked at twice. The 'computer' says it's fine. It is not fine. I filed a complaint with GM and they tried to work with the dealership on putting me in something else but nothing can be done unless I want to fork over money.

Exterior (minus the chrome on the trunk area).

Recall the transmission! It is irresponsible for a company to ignore a major defect. Just because a computer tells you there is not a problem.