2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

2011 Cruze Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Sort Reviews by

Six month update
By katydid1

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I previously wrote a review on my Cruze Eco over 5 months ago after having it for two weeks. Well, it's been six months now and I am still really happy with it and I am now averaging 34.5mpg between half highway and half city driving. I did drive over 500 miles each way to Ohio and it performed well and was very comfortable too. I am also very proud to own a Lordstown-made Cruze as I grew up very close to there and know that it was made well by good local UAW workers.

1 year review, love our Cruze
By ricksreview

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have over 25,000k already. The Cruze has been very dependable. It continues to feel solid and well built. We are getting average of 38mpg with a loaded model with automatic transmission. Bought as a commuter car and we could not be more pleased with it!

Favorite Features

Looks, drives, and feels much more upscale than the price would suggest. So far much more reliable than the 03 Jetta i traded in.

Suggested Improvements

I would like another 60 or so hp with the same fuel economy.

***BUYER BEWARE***POOR RELIABILITY WITH THE LOWEST-SCORE AVAILABLE, ACCORDING TO CONSUMER REPORTS...
By waltchan

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I hate this car now. I have been scammed and tricked from General Motors with all these flashy advertisements claiming better quality and reliability. Yeah, right... The Chevrolet Cruze scored the LOWEST in reliability of any small sedans, and it's rated at the very-bottom of the chart, with a poor (black dot) reliability score, according to Consumer Reports. How can this be quality??? The new, over-hyped 2011 Chevrolet Cruze is NOT any better than the 1980 Chevrolet Citation we had before with the same, poor reliability score as well. I now will learn to never buy any American-name car without waiting for Consumer Reports advice. GM should refund my money for false claims on reliability.

Favorite Features

None. Always stick to Japanese-name cars that are reliably proven for years. I blew out $22,000 to the ocean for nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability score to above-average or better to compete well with Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, and Nissan. GM should refund my money for false claims on improved reliability. If there is any lawsuit going on for false claims by GM for improved reliability, I will be happy to join in.

ECO M/T STAY AWAY! ---- Bad GM cust. service!
By cruzect11

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got my 2011 cruze eco just over 2 months ago after having a cruze lt auto as a rental which was great! But now with my eco since day one if you have the ac on and you put it in first gear and give it some gas the car shuts off yes totally dies! Been almost hit tons of times pulling out places and sitting in traffic. The car sat at the dealer for over a month after they so called cant find anything wrong with it i get it back and it dies that day. Long story short this isnt the only cruze eco with the problem and chevy will not stand behind their product! The car is nice and rides good but thats when it runs. Stay far away from the eco! Anyone looking at any GM product cust service is BAD!

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind their product. Consumers do your homework on this car. Lots of used ones for sale cause of problems!

GM's Volvo?
By thkpic

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Has enouph character to challenge a mid-size while dominating the B-segment. With a moderately raked side profile, swooping tail lights and corporate grill there's enouph design oomph to keep you interested either at the grocery store or in the showroom. Get inside and the quite cabin spanks you with sophistication while trying to detract you from the few hard plastics scattered about. The center consoles easy straight forward layout makes changing the channel, locking the doors or plugging in a IPOD childs play.

Favorite Features

If anything sticks out as unexpected it would be the modest acceleration when this 1.4L Turbo is matted to the 6 speed manual. I appreciate GM didn't cheap out on six gears by only offering five like the Ford Focus. The mesh dash trim helps break up some of the harder plastics and adds a nicer touch to the cabin while the taillights and grill clearly belong a step up from this class. Call it eye trickery, but a few small touches go a long way to creating that premium feel. One other unexpected was the engine cabin. Well laid out, easy to reach parts make this vehicle a shade tree mechanics dream. Alternator, starter and drive belts all within reach- very nice indeed should I go for 300k.

Suggested Improvements

Twitchy steering. Some might mistaken this for sport like razor sharp steering- not so. In a small FWD car it just doesn't belong- atleast without the proper suspension wizardry mechanics to warrent such attention grabbing turn-in. Needs constant driver input. Inside door handles require you to pull twice to open the door. Got that? You don't get out until you pull it twice...child safety feature they say. Really? What child is in the drivers seat? Although safetly lock switches are absent on the back door. My guess, the double dipping door handles are cheaper. That might get annoying. That aside I think the powertrain overshadows all these shortcomings. Good car, doubt many regrets. 42MPG!!

Cool little Chevy
By lilchevy

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I do have to say that this is the first Chevy I've owned and I like it very well. My father is retired from GM and put me onto the Cruze and it has been a great value. Gets pretty good gas mileage,looks good, and the OnStar/XM radio freak'n rocks! I got the LS base model and hey for the money the car is really nice. The interior is laid out very well and the trunk space is more than I expected plus the ride quality is freak'n awsome. I'm glad i bought it!

Favorite Features

The Onstar/XM features are great. I commute about 80 miles a day and the overall ride quality is A+.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger arm rest that's about it.

Excellent Performance/MPG Balance
By 5th_mazda

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is really fun to drive. We have the six speed and it really excellerates through each shift especially just above 3000 rpm when you can feel the turbo come on. We have also been pleased with the local driving gas mile of 33-34mpg but I was looking forward to see what we would get taking daughter to college. Just got back and were very pleased! Fully loaded on trip down averaging 65-70mph on first tank 39.6mpg, second tank ave 75-78mph got 36.4 and then on way back with just two of us on first tank ave 75-78 40.8mpg and second tank ave 65-68mph 43.2mpg. I think this is great for a car that is not a hybred and does not look like a hybred! US owned and made - nice job!

Favorite Features

Performance Appearance MPG, MPG, MPG

Suggested Improvements

Like to see more options on Eco like wheel options, sunroof, etc (the std wheels look nice but I really like the sportier look of ours with the OEM alloy five spokes I added off ebay)

Wife loves it
By mike600

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

we wanted to downsize into a better gas mileage car.. we choice the cruze for several reasons. we like what GM did, I love the leg room, we liked the spec on gas mileage, it had the heated leather seat opt, in which most of the smaller cars don't have (in the price range)... etc. It drives very nice on the highway.. two long trips so far. one 600 miles to Dallas, and one to southern Colorado... Maintains speed up hills.... to early to tell about the Build Qual and reliability so I gave it a 4... based off other GM cars I have owned... which have been 3.5's-4's

Favorite Features

Gas mileage..??? not yet close to the rated values.. giving it some more time... 25city/30hwy we don't floor it.... we drive it like it should be driven.. likes Wife; heated leather seats. me; the leg room.

Suggested Improvements

not sure yet... maybe meeting the gas mileage.. dealer says give it time... so we are.

1st American car since 1994
By colosteve

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Was a loyal GM guy, but had some issues and bought foreign vehicles for a long time. This Cruze was what brought me back. We were looking to improve MPG and traded my truck for it. Test drove lots of other cars and came back the the Cruze. Chevy really seems to have hit a home run this time. The car is mostly driven by the wife (she loves it), we were both impressed on the test drive...when for a second and took it home. Style, comfort and economy were what we were looking for and this beat the competition hands down. A lot of bang for the buck. Leather, On Star, back-up sensors, remots start all for $23K. You did good GM...maybe I'm back as a loyal GM guy again?

Favorite Features

Style, comfort, affordability...we will see the MPG as it gets some miles.

Suggested Improvements

I know it is popular and the end of the model year but it would have been nice to have a better selection. Really wanted the LTZ w/RS but took 1 of 2 2LTs that were local. Maybe a little more cush in the seats...they are a little stiff but it is new.

Considering a Cruze Eco for the MPG, you'll be dissappointed
By grockin2004

2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just put my first 5,000 miles on my new 2011 Cruze. Living with the car is much different than my first impressions. I commute about 90 miles a day with 90% of my drive time spent on a freeway and the cruise control set at 60 - 65 MPH. Average MPG : 36.6 I reset the meter at the beginning of my work week. By Friday, same result. Seats are a little too stiff for long distances. Arm rests are non-existent. The tiny center console lid slides forward a little, but does not lock into the forward position. Hard to get comfortable. Automatic transmission refuses to up shift until engine is near red line and down shifts too soon when coming to a stop. Irritating at times! Good engine power.

Favorite Features

Nice looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors are a joke. Better interior storage, larger center console. Better shifting automatic transmission.