***BUYER BEWARE***POOR RELIABILITY WITH THE LOWEST-SCORE AVAILABLE, ACCORDING TO CONSUMER REPORTS...
By waltchan on
2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I hate this car now. I have been scammed and tricked from General Motors with all these flashy advertisements claiming better quality and reliability. Yeah, right... The Chevrolet Cruze scored the LOWEST in reliability of any small sedans, and it's rated at the very-bottom of the chart, with a poor (black dot) reliability score, according to Consumer Reports. How can this be quality??? The new, over-hyped 2011 Chevrolet Cruze is NOT any better than the 1980 Chevrolet Citation we had before with the same, poor reliability score as well. I now will learn to never buy any American-name car without waiting for Consumer Reports advice. GM should refund my money for false claims on reliability.
Favorite Features
None. Always stick to Japanese-name cars that are reliably proven for years. I blew out $22,000 to the ocean for nothing.
Suggested Improvements
Improve the reliability score to above-average or better to compete well with Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, and Nissan. GM should refund my money for false claims on improved reliability. If there is any lawsuit going on for false claims by GM for improved reliability, I will be happy to join in.
By traseta
on 11/12/11 10:30 AM (PST)

Dear Waltchan, I am sorry that you feel this way about the new Cruze. I too own one and happen to work at GM and build the Cruze in Lordstown, Oh. I have worked there for 12 years and this is the first car that I have bought that I have built. I have always been a foreign car owner and in fact was driving a old civic to work and my wife drives an 08 Honda Odyssey van. That being said, I felt confident enough to buy this car as a replacement to my civic. I have yet to read the CR report that you refer too, but have heard that most of the problems CR refesr to are rattles mainly in the doors and isolated electrical checks. We have worked hard to solve these issues and feel that they have been taken care of. This might not help you or me for that matter since we already own the vehicle. I agree with robswagon about being a newer vehicle and going through growing pains. I work on the door line and see first hand how we are trying to improve on this issues. If you have any other problems or issues with your Cruze, I would welcome your questions or comments. My name is Tom [violative content deleted]. I hope you don't have any other issues with your car because I pride myself on good work as do the rest of my co-workers. Thanks, Tom

By drvette
on 11/29/11 10:01 AM (PST)

It would help if you'd be more specific regarding your complaints. Please list them and give details about your issues. If the vehicle is a total Lemon, then there are avenues to pursue. Thanks DrVette

By drvette
on 11/29/11 10:01 AM (PST)

By bluemesa
on 12/29/11 07:41 AM (PST)

You didn't say why you hate this car. Yes it has lower than average rating on reliability from consumers report, but is that rating what you hate about it? Have you had problems with it? Be specific, that would help us all out please.

By litewerk
on 01/01/12 03:24 AM (PST)

Like a few others have commented, I don't see that you've shared even one specific issue you have with your Cruze - aside from you being upset with the ratings published by CR. I noticed that you've given the car 1 star out of a possible 5 stars in every category. Considering this was a new model a little over a year ago, I'd imagine that you took a test drive in the car before buying. Did you really purchase a new Chevy Cruze, or was this just a way for you to let people know about CRs rating of the car? I'm kinda incredulous that you'd actually rate a car that low, unless you're a fan of another brand trying to make the Cruze out to be a bad car to scare people away. Incidentally, I have no connection to Chevrolet nor GM nor the UAW; simply a consumer who may be buying a new car in the not so distant future. Also noting you listed "none" for favorite features. Could you tell us all how long you've owned your car, how many miles you've put on it and what gas mileage you're getting while noting if it is largely city or highway driving, or perhaps a mix? If you have had to return to the dealer as a reslult of issues with your car, could you tell us about that? You seem to have posted a comment without sharing any kind of useful information!

By rwmke
on 06/14/12 06:58 AM (PDT)

I came here hoping to find why Cons***r Reports down-rated the Cruze reliability. Even though the car has a 'black spot' on CR's reliability report, I'm still interested because (1) the reliability report counts very minor annoyances (radio button falling off, for example) with the same weight as major system failures (transmission exploding, for example). Is it a case of the former or the latter? And, (2), the floor is so much higher than it used to be. This car compared with a GM car of 20 years ago, and maybe even foreign cars of 20 years ago, would undoubtedly earn a 'red spot' (much better than average). So, does a large fraction of Cruzes have early engine or transmission failure? Or, does a fairly small fraction have a minor rattle in the door? This is the kind of information I'm seeking.

By wolfman9044
on 08/06/12 09:01 AM (PDT)

I got worked over by Chevy and GM with my wonderful 2011 Cruze too. What a lump. It looks nice, but that's about it. My Cruze had idling and tranny issues. Not to mention rotten gas mielage. After 5 trips to the dealer I was told by them, and evenutally by GM, that if there is no fault showing on the computer check, there is nothing wrong with the car. They don't look any further. So basically I'm nutjob who is making up asll these problems, I guess. I have nothing better to do but keep going to the dealer to get my car washed. Not once did anyone actually listen to what I had to say nor did they ever attempt to troubeshoot or repair my car. Chevy?GM are horrible to deal with. No customer service. I have since bought out of my lease and got an Accord. I just couldn't stand the BS anymore. I'm much happier now. I hope things work out for you.

By waltchan
on 07/21/14 11:40 AM (PDT)

Now three years later, I still stand by my post that the Cruze is indeed a troublesome car and continues to score low in reliability by Consumer Reports after three years. There are 5 times more number of black dots than I thought for a three year car, compared to a Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. Wake up people, and it's time to believe that anything made by General Motors is no good. Ford Focus has always scored better in reliability.