Used 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Sedan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Terrified for when the warranty runs out
By Lee

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased this car 3 years ago with 40,000 miles, now it's at 80,000. The experience has been miserable. When the car is running well, it can be a fun car to drive but it is still only a middle-of-the-road commuter with nothing noteworthy or outstanding. The shifting is notchy and the electric throttle leaves the revs hanging too high for too long to shift quickly. The 1.4T is very sluggish in low RPMs, especially accelerating from a stop. This becomes much more prominent in warm weather. I've driven manual vehicles my entire life and have still stalled this car several times, even in stop-and-go traffic, simply because there is no power to accelerate. GM states in the owner's manual that the car can run on 87 octane fuel, but from my experience anything above 70 degrees requires at least 89 octane. Even with conservative driving, freeway speeds (70mph) will return, at best, 32mpg. The only time I've come even close to 40mpg is on two-lane roads keeping to 60mph or below. This is very disappointing for the Eco trim. The steering is reasonably responsive but the electric power steering really does remove all feedback. In all, I would say the strongest feature is the exterior styling, which GM really nailed in my opinion.

Reliability has been abysmal, unfortunately. In my time of ownership, the car has been serviced three times for climate control issues, including a recurring noise that involved the removal of the dash multiple times. The blend door also had to be replaced due to binding. The 1.4T (I'm not sure about the 1.8) has two PCV valves, one of which is built into the valve cover and is not removable without replacing the valve cover. This is a horrible setup, but I had it replaced under warranty. The plastic intake manifold was also replaced at this time as it was cracked, most likely due to excess pressure from the bad PCV valve. At around 70,000 miles the turbo had to be replaced due to a bad bypass valve that was preventing the turbo from building boost. At 75,000, I had to replace the water inlet valve because the plastic valves GM used tend to crack. I discovered this after I found a puddle of coolant in my garage.

I am very worried about the experience after the warranty runs out this summer. I am constantly wondering what will break next or need addressing. There are numerous other small quality-control issues that I've just learned to live with over the years. I am currently about $4,000 underwater on the loan due to insane depreciation and a too-high initial purchase price (GM certified pre-owned, all Cruzes in our area were similar quality, mileage and price). I prefer to do all of my own work and, prior to owning this car, historically I have performed all of my own maintenance, large and small. GM has tried to make their new cars as difficult to work on as possible for the average shade-tree or indy mechanic so I suspect that once the warranty is up I will still be going back to the dealer every 6 months for a 4-figure repair. I cannot wait until the day this car is paid off. It will be going up for sale that same afternoon, provided it is still running by that point.

Excellent transportation
By Peter Creary

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive. Very guiet inside. In my opinion manual transmission is the way to go. Drove Las Vegas to Boston on a three week trip and return very comfortable. I'm 6ft. tall.

Cruze Not Clutch
By m7silvestri

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Cruze new used from a Chevy dealer with around 24,000 miles on it. it was about a year old when I got it. It now has 47,000 and it needs a new clutch. I thought it was bazaar until I did some research on the lifespan of the Cruze's clutch. I found out that my clutch lasted longer then a lot of other people. When I took it to the dealer where I got it from (because it is still under warranty) it was $1600. Judging by the way, the speed, and the confidence of the answer, it is a very safe assumption that the model wears down the clutch fast. The model has only been around since 2011. The car is fun to drive, is nimble, and saves on gas. Only if I knew sooner.

more durable clutch or a more heavy duty clutch

Not one regret
By maxzillian

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car three weeks ago, used with 17,500 miles. I have since logged over 500 miles of mixed driving and so far my experience has been extremely positive. With mixed driving of 70% highway and doing one autocross event, the car still managed 35 mpg. Color me impressed! Handling is crisp and firm, reminding me of cars I've driven while in Europe. Even at 6'4", I find this compact car to be comfortable to drive, but rear seat space is lacking... it is a compact car after all. I find the 7-8 mpg gain over the typical midsize was worth sacrificing a little comfort for what few passengers I carry.

Long story short, it's an economical car without the economy feeling.

Crisp and firm handling without being harsh. Adequate power for what the car is for. Good sounding audio system with iPod compatibility. A nice open engine bay that should be easy to work around when the time comes to perform my own repairs. Spacious trunk. Crisp feeling manual transmission. Zero backlash steering that makes the car respond instantly to inputs. I took the car autocrossing and was extremely impressed with how well it did.

I feel that the throttle response is too slow for a manual car. There is typically around 1/4 to 1/2 second of lag between stabbing the throttle and the engine responding that makes it difficult to upshift and downshift smoothly. I suspect it'd be barely perceptible in an automatic car. I also find the lack of a spare tire to be a bit ridiculous. I'd rather sacrifice a couple mpg in the city than have to rely on a tow to get home if my luck runs out and I rupture a tire. The B pillar sits too far forward for me and makes it difficult to reach out with my left arm to grab some fast food. The under tray recall is a hack job. I prefer to just power wash my engine bay to clean up any spilt oil.

16 month 26k review- still VERY happy
By matheson1977

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car continues to impress me. Well built, dependable, and im getting 35mpg average in my hilly terrain. It still feels like a more expensive car. No regrets trading my lemon 07 Camry for the Cruze. I would without a doubt recomend the Cruze.

Smart, well designed interior, classy styling, fuel economy, reliability and build quality, quiet ride.

More off line power would be nice, i would also like to have the 5 door version they get overseas.