Used 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

If auto shopping steer clear of this expensive car
By Jeffrey Horstman

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Okay so I bought mine brand new back in July of 2011, literally the first 30,000 miles were okay. First 15,000 miles i had numerous recalls and recalls, about 8 total. At 16,000 miles the car died when backing up into the street? by The time my vehicle reached 35,000 miles , the " check traction control" & " engine power reduced " light illuminated on the dashboard and my vehicle stalled in the parking lot at work. The Throttle Body malfunctioned and failed. Towed to the dealer and a day later it was fixed under power train warranty. Cd player and Navigation screen went out at 47,000 due to some short, so another trip to the dealer Navigation system replaced and new cd player replaced as well as the negative battery cable terminal. At 49,500 miles on the vehicle had to have the coolant system serviced, awful coolant smell in the cabin numerous times, found the leak fixed under warranty. At 51,000 Coolant leak again near the Reservoir tank. Both the hose and tank replaced under power train warranty. At 53,000 miles again Coolant system need flushing because another leak. At 55,000 miles the Coolant system was leaking again near the radiator. At 57,800 miles the coolant Reservoir tank replaced again as well as Radiator cap. At 59,000 miles Coolant serviced again for mysterious vanishing coolant no leak apparant yet horrendous smell in the Cabin. At 65,755 miles the Defrost Actuators failed loud popping sound when changing modes from defrost to feet etc. About $875.00 later fixed. Oil leak at 69,000 miles in multiple places, the oil cooler lines replaced as well as the Valve cover gasket and some seals as well. At 72,000 Speedometer in cabin makes ticking noise and constantly stuck. At 72,800 miles the car mysteriously died at 1 am, no power and key was stuck in the ignition. Towed to the dealer and two days later confirmed no issues and vehicle started for them? Oil leak again at 81,000 miles. At 85,000 miles 90,000 oil leaking again as well as coolant. At 93,000 miles the "Theft alert system" went crazy, car alarm was going off for no reason at sporadic times throughout a couple of days, as well as hood latch broke and trunk latch. At 96,000 miles rear window defogger went out, At 97,500 miles the rear passanger power window broke. At 107,000 Miles the car had to be towed 45 miles to the dealership From Madison due to coolant completely leaked out and left my family and I stranded for two hours in the winter. At 115,000 another coolant leak. At 116,000 Oil leak again, dealer seems to think PCV valve is going bad. Unfortunately i have $5,000 in negative equity Thanks to general Motors or also known as Governement Motors. The value of Cruze is basically Worthless , a lot of Cruzes are sitting on used dealer lots going unsold for this reason. I know I'm not alone , I've heard lots of people have had more problems too! Please do your self a favor, steer clear and buy anything else other than the Cruze. I have always been a Chevrolet man, after my experience with this car, I can't wat until its paid off in two years and i can get out of it! Its a money hog and it's pathetic as well as annoying having to be in the service shop what seems to be like every other month or so. I hope the next two years of ownership hurry up!

On way to junk yard
By Your mom

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

trash car. repair constantly. put two radiators in. 6 serpintine belts. a/c comprssor. transmission. motor. 4 alternators. new horn. new rear axle. new heaedlights. car is nightmare.ipractically built my own car. i put 32,000 dollars into this car. car is not spacious. my daughter doesnt ave enough room.

Wonderful car so far at 47K Miles!!! Base Manual..
By Jeremy

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have had fabulous luck thus far with my 2011 Cruze LS, Base Model, 6 speed stick! I would say, if you buy this vehicle, get the 6 speed manual and the base 1.8L engine model. Less to go wrong, and plus the stick shift operates very, very good and has a lot of power(Pick-Up) and is very easy to shift. Way cheaper, too! Is fairly easy on gas. I get 32 miles per gallon with 3 people in the car, mixed driving(Combined). Pretty good! Only problem I've had is a bad thermostat. It went bad at 43K Miles, and was replaced under warranty. After 4.5 years of ownership, I still have the original brakes. One issue, and I guess maybe I'm lucky...is that every once in a while, when I turn the key to start the car up, it fails to start on the 1st turn, but it always fires right up on the 2nd turn! So no issue at all. So far anyway. I get my oil changed every 6K Miles at the dealer's Quick Lube place. These new GM vehicles take a part synthetic oil, called Dexos I think, so make sure you know that. If you take care of your Cruze(Routine Maintenance), it will take care of you! That has been my experience so far at 47K Miles. I am very happy I didn't get a Lemon! It can happen to some people on the electrical systems mostly, like my last car, an 04 Impala. But the Cruze, no such issues!! Solidly built car here!

worse car i have ever owned
By Lola Beck

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

this car is not up to my standards. I will never buy another cruze. my car left me sit (they put in a new battery and cable) twice my spark plugs came loose. my car stalled out 4 days after replacing the battery. I get messages on my display "service esp" "service traction control" "brake fluid is low". my brake vacuum valve was replaced , all on a car with less than 36,000 miles. I have my car serviced every 3 months at red lion Chevrolet. I like the service department, they treat me well. I also own a 1988 ford tarus. i might have to go back to ford. sincerely, lola beck

Last Straw
By hofmann_brian

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have taken the car into the shop 3 times for problems with overheating, and am about to take it in for the fourth. I was driving home and the overheat light came on and before I could get off the Interstate I was stopped behind a jackknifed truck for 3 hours in weather below 20 degrees. I could turn the car on for 5 minutes and then had to turn it off for 25 minutes. When I was able to get going I was only able to make it a couple of miles before the overheat light came on. At midnight I had to pull off the road and get a hotel even though I was only 45 minutes away from home. This problem has been "fixed" 3 times already. It has not taken 4 years for this car to start nickel and diming me

Blue-tooth

Fix problem with overheating. There has already been a recall to "fix" the problem, but obviously something is still wrong

• SUV