Used 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Corvette

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

An Elephant in the Alps
By Bill

2008 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (6.2L 8cyl 6M)

I got this car in place of a Porsche 911 S and believe me, this car is no Porsche. It's huge for a "sports car". A sports car is supposed to be small, powerful and nimble. The Vette's handling is comparable to an elephant trying to perform on the balance beam at the Olympics. Sure, I like the power under the hood. 30 horses with the dual mode exhaust sounds great, but that's about the only thing that's great on this car. After driving BMW's, Z cars, Porsche's and even my Mercedes E350, I am very disappointed in the way this car's handing and appointments are for the money. Can't anyone in the U.S. build a "sports car" at least in the league of the afore mentioned. Pitiful.

Favorite Features

The power.

Suggested Improvements

Downsize the car (baby elephant walk comes to mind). Build the car so tires that are 2 miles wide don't have to make up for the car's poor handling. The Bose sound system is a joke. The interior quality is a joke along with the cheap convertible top. The front of the car scrapes most of the time.

Wow!
By Paul

2008 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (6.2L 8cyl 6M)

I had an M3 ten years ago which was the benchmark for me for purchasing a new sports car. The Corvette handles as well as the M3 with an enormous amount of power. I still can't wipe the smile off of my face everytime I drive this car.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

None

Best Ever
By STAN ALEXANDER

2008 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (6.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned five Corvettes in my life, but my 2008 is the first new one I have had. In 2004 I bought a beautiful black 2002 convertible and I really loved it, then I began reading about the 2008 and the new engine, and I figured since I had just turned 60 I would by a new Corvette. I ordered a Crystal red convertible, ebony interior, dual mode exhaust and LT3 package. I have not been disappointed, it handles like a dream, it feels so tight and manageable and when you just step on the gas, not floor it, you are doing 70 before you know it, but the best part is that almost every time I take it out, strangers will stop and tell me that is the "best looking car I've ever seen". No problems.

Favorite Features

Engine power, the sound of the exhaust. Power top and I like the XM radio. And, of course, the beauty of the car.

Suggested Improvements

I really don't have any

Just can't stop smiling
By Still Smiling

2008 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (6.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've been a fan of the Corvette as long as I remember, but this is my first one. Comparing it to anything else I've ever driven... well, I just can't. It outperforms them all in just about every way. Obviously, it is a sportscar and no one can deny it's performance (even not considering it's price). I shopped several european vehicles and looked at a couple of Asian models. The only thing close of US manufacturer's are the Viper (not civil enough for me) and the Cadillac, which is a heavier underpowered Corvette. Nothing compared. Acceleration is incredible, handling sublime, but what I'm most impressed with is the comfort. I'm 6'3" and feel comfortable enough to enjoy a 10 hr trip

Favorite Features

NPP exhaust, 436 HP, HUD, 6 sp manual (must have for me in a sportscar), surprising comfort of ride (Magnetic Select Ride included), wow factor from myself and everyone else who sees it. Fuel economy is great for the type of car (averaging 25 mpg).

Suggested Improvements

Nav system needs upgrade. It's nearly impossible to see in sunlight, and my cell phone is easier to use and more accurate. Oh yeah, and maybe add a "stealth" mode. 20 years of driving, and after 2 weeks of ownership I got my first speeding ticket. Need to factor that into "True Cost to own".

Fun Factor = 10
By Lloyd

2008 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (6.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second Corvette. After owning a 1986 Vette that I sold due to 2 teenage boys I just had to have another once they moved out. This Vette will keep a smile on your face. Very fun car to own and drive! Zero problems in the first 6 months and 2k miles of ownership. Paddle-shifting at full throttle with the optional dual-mode exhaust is a blast! Great handling and smooth ride - hard to believe you could have both! I expect we'll keep this Vette for quite some time and then pass it down to the kids.

Favorite Features

Great looks and power! Pulls hard even at 110mph! The Vette gets second looks even when dirty! Great trunk space for a convertible. Navigation direction arrows in heads-up display is nice. After-market options are abundent.

Suggested Improvements

I expected a much better radio and navigation system for the price paid. The audio quality is fair to poor. No iPod bluetooth-cell phone integration. Navigation needs a much more simple interface to be usable on an infrequent basis. Last, loose the big fat visor support arms in the name of safety!