2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

Base 6.0L V8 6-speed Manual - (169 reviews )

2005 Corvette Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Smuuuuve
By SMUUUUVE

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

Been desiring to own this car since my teen years. Was suppose to be my 50th B'day present, I could not wait another 2 years. I have owned many cars/sport cars, this car is the cream of the crop. I find reasons to drive it. Much fun to drive! I knew that I wanted to own this car, but I did not want to purchase it brand new. This '05 C6 is a very fine car, very happy with my decision. I think my wife enjoys being on the passenger side just as much as I enjoy driving. Its been well worth the wait.

Favorite Features

Are you kidding- the neck snapping, seat plastering 400 horses, every man's dream!

Suggested Improvements

some minor improvements on the interior.

No Door Handles
By Brooks

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

Driving this car is like no other experience in the world

Favorite Features

Heads up display and overall design of the car.

Suggested Improvements

A way to enter car other than the trunk if battery dies, doors do not open because there are no door handles. And sensor on the doors are operated by the battery. Hmm!

Do it now.....
By CAC6Fan

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

If you've been waiting to buy one of these, do it now. The new C7 version will probably be smaller (maybe even a V6?), probably have less HP and will be a completely different vehicle. This car is a screamer. It will literally "snap" your head back with its' acceleration. Roadabilitly is sharp, handling is precise and once you get on the fwy. mileage is more than acceptable (22mpg). The runflat GY tires make the ride a little stiff but you can replace those. All the other option packages are nice. Maintenance is a bit more cumbersome and expensive (needs synthetic oil and a special filter) but manageable. This car can be used as an every-day driver.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo (upgrade) is awesome. Z51 suspension is nice. 2-top option isn't necessary (if you can just use the see- through fiberglass top). And last but not least, 400HP is truly breathtaking.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better tires (there are much better runflats than GY). The present Firestone and Michelin offerings are much better choices. Repairs can be expensive (with all the on-board computer hardware - so you might invest in a GMPP = ext. wty?).

After 4 years
By RHood123

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

Only drive my C6 1600miles/year;stored half the year, sometimes wonder why I have this car. Then I remember...it speaks to you. When you're behind the wheel; performance,visibility,tradition speak for themselves. Exterior classic design, interior: wish I had steering wheel controls, better carpet, less plastic. Have never had a problem with anything, but then again, at 1600 miles/yr. Terrific value for a truly classic sports car. Did any American male grow up not wanting to own a Corvette?

Favorite Features

Handling, economy, exterior looks

Suggested Improvements

Interior improvements

New vette owner
By mike

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

First off let me say I love this car!! I have waited patiently (for the most part) to own a Corvette. I test drove a c5 version a couple of years ago and quite frankly it turned me off Corvettes. I just started looking again and saw the '05 at a great price and couldn't resist. I test drove it and fell in love. To me this is what driving a corvette is all about! It has power, style, and comfort. I am a tall guy (6'4") so sports cars aren't exactly built with me in mind. I have take this on modest rides so far (2-3 hours) and I have no problems with comfort. To sum it all up, if you are thinking of buying a vette, buy the c6!

Favorite Features

Traction control, nav system, HUD, overall ride of vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Blue tooth capability, improve radio (I was a bit disappointed with the sound system)

lots of problems,many repairs required
By mlh

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have never owned a car that has needed so many repairs. Since purchased in Sept 05,it has been in for repair at least 12 times! Things like the roof almost blowing off.They tried to fix the problem but didn't. Then it was replaced with a new roof. Shorty after that,a recall for this problem was quietly announced. The list goes on:Door latch replaced;repair window so it would close tightly (twice);repair an reinstall door panel; headlight assembly replace;trunk latch replaced; alternator bearing had to be replaced;problem with front right wheel assembly;bad paint. No room left here to list other problems. With extended warranty,I have to pay $200 labor for each repair.

Favorite Features

Rides good.

Go ahead, buy one!
By CA C6 Fan

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

One of the finest vehicles I have ever owned. Blindingly fast, comfortable to drive every day and immediately recognizable. It drives like a commuter (overall 22 mpg - from 400 HP???) and performs like an exotic. Mine is silver (exterior) and black leather (interior). Loaded with all the goodies (you've got to get the Z51 handling pkg & the Bose stereo). Have had it for about 6 months/5K miles and it has been extremely reliable. I did purchase a GM/Vette extended warranty, just in case (got a great deal on it too). I have the automatic (5spd) and the only thing I would have done differently would have been to get the 6 spd. manual.

Favorite Features

Z51 handling pkg, Bose stereo, heads- up display, multiple targa tops, Navi, XM options, heated seats, climate control and push button start/passive key lock features.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any. However, be advised that w/no spare tire (space), you must purchase RunFlat tires for this vehicle. And since only 2 manufacturers make them (GoodYear and Firestone), the tires are very pricey (about $250-$400 per tire).

2005 Corvette
By Jim Hamilton

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

This is our 3rd new 'Vette and is by far the best yet. Not only is it the most fun to drive but gets great mileage (34/Imp. gal). I disagree with those who compare it poorly with the 911 which I rate v. highly. Not only is it as fast but it is much more easily maintained, as far as being as much fun, I'd say it is more fun than the 911(its sometimes a bit of work) but perhaps a bit behind the Boxster. I rate interior design as good but the C6 has badly needed the new "leather wrapped" trim of the '08, since it was introduced. Now if they can just upgrade the seats for '09 ! I'd rate the build quality up to at least an "8-8.5" for '08,comparable to the 911. Ours is still rattle-free !

Favorite Features

Great mileage. Easy to maintain motor. handling. Looks!

Suggested Improvements

Better interior (addressed in the '08) Better seats

My first Vette
By mark

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have had this car for about a year and half. Fun to drive. Gets a lot of positive feedback and turns heads a lot! My wife dosen't like to ride in it but that's OK. There are plenty of other people who do!

Favorite Features

Heads up display, XM satellite

Suggested Improvements

I have the Bose sound system. The left speaker buzzes sometimes. Dealer hasn't been able to replicate so nothing has been done. Manual rear hatch button doesn't work.

'05 C6 Corvette
By gbw1972

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned this 2005 millenium yellow Corvette for 2 years now with very few complaints. The XM satelite radio is the biggest disappointment with lower quality sound than regular FM radio. As for the drive, the occasional bump in the road will jolt the steering wheel a bit, enough to make me anxious if my speed is excessive. 400hp really is more than enough. The exhaust sound is less than adequate but is easily fixed with an after-market replacement. My MPG is over 20. The acceleration is incredible. As far as sports cars go, there isn't a smarter buy around, anywhere.

Favorite Features

I love the HUD (heads up display). I thought it would be annoying at first, but really wish my other car had it.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth would be nice. Better stereo. Illuminated door sills. Backup camera.