Used 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Base 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (103 reviews )

Still Tryin'
By Vette Crazy

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Corvette (93, 99, 02, 04). I don't know why I keep trying. I've loved Vettes since I was a kid and keep hoping someday I'll find one that doesn't have problems. This one has had problems with transmission (hard shifts), broken stabilizer links and brakes squealing for 2 years. Dealer said brake squeal is normal after their 4th attempt to fix. All 3 C5s were convertibles and all leaked around the windows when driving in the rain. All of my Vettes averaged about 3 visits to the dealer per year for repairs not counting normal maintenance, with each visit being at least 2 days. You would think I drive them hard, but I've been told I drive like a little old granny. So that's not it.

Favorite Features

I've always loved the head-up display. It's hard to drive other cars without it now. I also like the gas mileage. I get 30 highway, 21 city. Not bad for all those horses.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten all those bolts better to reduce squeaking and rattling. Better quality control overall. My other cars don't break down nearly as much. Finally, better training for service technicians. Fix it the first time, not the fourth.

Not Your fat, bald man driver
By Martha in Plantation

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am a 5 ft 7 natural blonde. I know people expect to see a mid-life crisis male when they pass me. I love the Vette, but the ride is nothing like my Cadillac SUV. My boyfriend drives a BMW convertible, and people always think he owns the Corvette and I own the BMW. The noise level on the highway with the Vette is bad. I wouldn't think of a long trip in it. I just had too much disposable income when I bought it, either that or my mid-life crisis set in! I love the Corvette "wave" from other owners! Everyone should own one Vette in their life!

Favorite Features

It's a Vette! Love the exhaust plate!

Suggested Improvements

Less noise factor on the convertible. Better ride!

C5 the Greatest!
By OStanley

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Corvette convertible has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.We are both 60 and purchased it as a "getaway" vehicle. Boy have we gotton away and in style, reasonable comfort and believe it or not, pretty good gas mileage.The car's trip computer gives us an average of almost 22mpg over the 20K+ miles we have driven since new.Chevy has a 'grand slam" in the Corvette C5, no doubt.Own one and you'll agree! It's performance and build quality is exceptional.The car is tight and rattle free even in the convertible configuration, thanks in large measure to the C5 redesign.Corvette engineering did a great job! Ownership has been a 9.8 experience and I don't anticipate any change in that!

Favorite Features

Power, acceleration, design,handling and believe it or not, gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

None, save for ingress and egress improvements for 60 year olds

'04 Vette
By shobe

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great car, ride, performance. Gas mileage 19 around town. Bright red, real head turner. No returns to dealer except for oil changes.

Favorite Features

Looks, ride, performance

Suggested Improvements

Improve cup holders, sunglass holder

Traded Down to a 2004 for Comfort
By Joe Anastasio

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Since July 1997 I have owned 13 C5 Corvettes (all new) and 1 C6 (2007 new). Problem was I bought the C6 Corvette site unseen (never sat in one). I'm 6'3" and 280lbs and my knees were against the dash. The 3" they took away from it did make a difference. I was lucky though. Found a dealer willing to swap me my 2007 for a 2004 plus a fair amount of money. I'm a happy camper again. Plenty of comfort and all the fun of driving a Corvette. I really don't miss any of the new features in the C6 that I had for 3 months. I never used the Nav system. Be sure to "test drive" your new car BEFORE purchasing. I was lucky. Didn't lose a lot of money for my mistake.

Favorite Features

Looks, power, way it drives and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

None