2004 Chevrolet Corvette Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

2004 Corvette Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car, fun to drive
By roger

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have had our 04 Coupe for over a year. It runs great, looks new, and has never had a mechanical flaw since we owned it It is a show winner, having won "best in class" at a recent car show. We belong to Myrtle Beach Car Club and enjoy the events, shows, and cruises. It has plenty of power and gets about 23 to 23 mpg on trips. Great car overall.

Favorite Features

The performance and how it handles in turns and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

It is great as it is, needs nothing.

bitter sweet
By delano

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for a 1 1/2 years. Don't purchase one with a removable top if you want to stay dry. I have replaced all the seals. It still leaks, radio poor, steering wheel lockout disable as soon possible.

Favorite Features

great pickup & handling, 28 mpg on hwy very cool. great exhaust note. 6 speed is sweet!

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the run flat tires and put back a spare tire

Why didn't I buy one sooner???
By safetyman

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have always wanted one,"Why did I wait so Long?" this is by far the most exciting investment I have ever made! The wife and I had been discussing the idea of buying one and she kept putting me off, she went out of town for the weekend:) you guessed it! I went out and bought the car of my dreams!still married! she actually really likes to drive it herself. I have absolutely no complaints except not enough pretty days to take the top off and just drive! since my purchase it seems like I have found a new group of friends, they all own Corvettes and like to hang out and cruise.

Favorite Features

The horse power! I recently went on a 1100 mile trip and averaged 34.3mpg @ 80mph. WOW! the hud is neat, never have to look down, might hurt if you get pulled over by a policeman who knows about vettes! no excuses!

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of!

Dream Car!
By gxtol

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I'd wanted a Corvette since I first became aware of cars at 13 (in 1966!). Finally got one at age 50. Bought mine new in Spiral Gray with every possible option. Other than replacing the battery in the first month as a preventative measure and fixing the gas tank (common problem) in the first year, this car has been "bullet-proof". I live in an area where there are multiple exotics, Porsches, Ferraris, etc and my car gets as much, if not more, attention. I love it. Fast, great looking and a virtual time machine making me feel 16 again.

Favorite Features

Everything about it! And the "Corvette Wave" is cool, too!

Suggested Improvements

Yes, it seems a bit cheap on the inside but I can live with it. The stock run-flats are awful!

More Improvements, are you kidding me!
By Vette_Adrenaline

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

2004, black C5, 8k miles. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. Handles great, The horsepower is excellent and gas mileage to boot. On a recent trip I averaged 31.5mpg. I was blown away. I kept pointing to the dash and laughing to my wife. This was totaly unexpected. I'm 6 ft 2" tall and this thing is comfortable, the HUD and all gauges are easy to see at a glance. All adjustments easily reached. This is now my daily driver and not a day goes by that I dont get home without a smile on my face. If you don't fall in love with this car, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Favorite Features

All of it.

Suggested Improvements

None, who listens to the radio while driving this car?

Love it!
By Denise

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car! I traded in my 1977 Corvette for this one. It is absolutely fun to drive. Super peppy!

Favorite Features

Color and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Wish that there was a bit more accessible storage up front, ie, for CD's. Also only one cup-holder?

Best Car I've Ever Driven
By jmr2004

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This car is a joy to drive and is far more driveable on a daily basis than most people would ever imagine. Fuel economy is eceptional, usually from 19- 23 mpg city, depending on how aggresively I drive. I really don't have a lot of data on highway mileage (I haven't done any long trips), but on 200 mile trips I have gotten 27 mpg highway. Other owners have told me they have gotten over 30 mpg. This car has also been problem free for the 4 yrs I have owned it. In recent years, other cars have caught up with it in performance, but 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and 13.1 at 107 mph stock is still respectable in the 1/4 mile. With performance mods, this car can hold it's own with anything out there.

Favorite Features

HUD and active handling.

Suggested Improvements

None.

4th vette's a charm
By Big Steff

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th vette (2 C4's, 2nd C5). Almost bought 06 C6 without driving then found it was too tight (me 6"3'). Sold 99 FRC to get this one. FRC was base model with Z51, 04 fully loaded!! Car is solid as a rock. Maybe get a C7 if more interior space (or I shrink). Best of the 4 I've owned !!!

Favorite Features

Non-Z51 ride, heads-up, auto lights / rear-view, dual climate etc.

Suggested Improvements

More interior space, better stereo, shorty shifter, high gloss chrome rims, HID head lamps, satelite radio

Just Drive It
By IMAKID

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Fix the shifter, more comfort, nicer interior? Are you kidding? Fill it up, strap in, and smoke 'em! This is not a luxury touring car. It's a high speed, awesome sports machine. Serious speed and fun. There is no other car that delivers this kind of fun & performance for the money. If you want more junk to play with, go buy a Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Looks, power, speed.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy has done a super job. Personal opinion, the C6 was not a body improvement.

Great Car!
By Keithk71

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2004. Fun car to drive, very happy overall. Has been very sound mechanically. Only minor problems; blown front drivers door speaker, drivers side seat bolsters needed replacing, passenger side power window regulator needed replacing. All fixed under warranty. Biggest issue: GM doesn't fit their performance cars with adequate brakes. Prone to warpage, had same problem with 2002 WS-6 T/A. I have a set of Baer Brakes on order to fix the problem. Still, best perfomance car value out there! Can't wait to get a new Z06!

Favorite Features

Performance, style, comfort, features. Run-flat tires!!! It's nice not having to stop to change a flat, especially in AZ in the summer! But, you definiely pay for it when you have to replace a tire!

Suggested Improvements

Many were addressed in 2005 model. Cup holder that actually holds cups, second cup holder, bigger better brakes, hatchback auto-pulldown/latch.