2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (103 reviews )
2004 Corvette Convertible
By chuckdi on 05/25/14 21:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My 04 Corvette Convertible came with chrome aluminum wheels, magnetic suspension, memory seats, head up display and 18K miles on it, The C5 Corvettes are about 1 inch lower and 3 inches longer than the C6 Corvettes. Riding over speed bumps is a problem as well as parking up to concrete slabs. The C5 is lighter than the C6, because the engine is smaller (5.7 liter vs. 6.0 and 6.2 liter). The LS1 engine is more reliable than the LS2, but no match for the LS3. Got a dealership window sticker from the Corvette Museum. List price 55K.

Gota love it
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned three vettes, 74, 84 and now the 04. Each one has improved in all areas of performance and comfort. Took round trip from New England to Bowling Green, toured factory and NCM averaged 30MPG for 3500 miles and loved the trip. Best by far of any vette I've owned, lots of top down fun

Great American Car
By Red-Line on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Corvette. I am over 60 years old. This is just the right age to get a critter like this! My Mag Red convertible has all the vim and vigor you'd expect from a C5, and with more than 50,000 miles on it, it has lost nothing. I decided on the 04 C5 because it is the last of the generation you know, long and sleek with all of the bugs worked out! This car's acceleration will snap you back into your seat and give you the sense of a fighter pilot's thrill.

Wow! What A Car
By crspurch on 08/06/09 11:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Well, this is my third corvette, first a C3 - 1980, next a C4 - 1992 and now this C5. It is incredible, the improvement over the C4 is staggering. The car is a monster and handles like a dream. I wanted a convertible, but I thought I wanted a C6 because of the higher HP. However, after driving both, I decided on the C5 (2004) because I thought the interior was much nicer and roomier. I really felt the C6 interior was "cheapened" compared to the C5. Some have complained about "noise" from the run- flats, but I don't experience that problem. All in all, dollar for dollar, this is an awesome car!

Original 5 year owner comments
By M.K.U. on 01/31/09 03:35 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned and driven this Corvette for almost 5 years. There is really nothing as much fun as a top down cruise in this car. This car was a daily driver for the first 2 years and then a weekend garage queen since then. No issues or problems just routine oil changes. 33,000 miles and loving every minute.

Still Tryin'
By Vette Crazy on 10/22/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Corvette (93, 99, 02, 04). I don't know why I keep trying. I've loved Vettes since I was a kid and keep hoping someday I'll find one that doesn't have problems. This one has had problems with transmission (hard shifts), broken stabilizer links and brakes squealing for 2 years. Dealer said brake squeal is normal after their 4th attempt to fix. All 3 C5s were convertibles and all leaked around the windows when driving in the rain. All of my Vettes averaged about 3 visits to the dealer per year for repairs not counting normal maintenance, with each visit being at least 2 days. You would think I drive them hard, but I've been told I drive like a little old granny. So that's not it.

Not Your fat, bald man driver
By Martha in Plantation on 10/18/08 22:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am a 5 ft 7 natural blonde. I know people expect to see a mid-life crisis male when they pass me. I love the Vette, but the ride is nothing like my Cadillac SUV. My boyfriend drives a BMW convertible, and people always think he owns the Corvette and I own the BMW. The noise level on the highway with the Vette is bad. I wouldn't think of a long trip in it. I just had too much disposable income when I bought it, either that or my mid-life crisis set in! I love the Corvette "wave" from other owners! Everyone should own one Vette in their life!

C5 the Greatest!
By OStanley on 09/21/07 11:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Corvette convertible has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.We are both 60 and purchased it as a "getaway" vehicle. Boy have we gotton away and in style, reasonable comfort and believe it or not, pretty good gas mileage.The car's trip computer gives us an average of almost 22mpg over the 20K+ miles we have driven since new.Chevy has a 'grand slam" in the Corvette C5, no doubt.Own one and you'll agree! It's performance and build quality is exceptional.The car is tight and rattle free even in the convertible configuration, thanks in large measure to the C5 redesign.Corvette engineering did a great job! Ownership has been a 9.8 experience and I don't anticipate any change in that!

'04 Vette
By shobe on 08/10/07 09:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great car, ride, performance. Gas mileage 19 around town. Bright red, real head turner. No returns to dealer except for oil changes.

Traded Down to a 2004 for Comfort
By Joe Anastasio on 10/25/06 21:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Since July 1997 I have owned 13 C5 Corvettes (all new) and 1 C6 (2007 new). Problem was I bought the C6 Corvette site unseen (never sat in one). I'm 6'3" and 280lbs and my knees were against the dash. The 3" they took away from it did make a difference. I was lucky though. Found a dealer willing to swap me my 2007 for a 2004 plus a fair amount of money. I'm a happy camper again. Plenty of comfort and all the fun of driving a Corvette. I really don't miss any of the new features in the C6 that I had for 3 months. I never used the Nav system. Be sure to "test drive" your new car BEFORE purchasing. I was lucky. Didn't lose a lot of money for my mistake.