2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

2003 Corvette Consumer Reviews

Z06 5.7L V8 6-speed Manual - (70 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

2003 Z06
By lmartin5

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the car as a mixed use track and street car 2.5 years ago. Not sure if it is possible to get more speed per dollar while driving something that is totally OEM. Overall it is a highly capable track car wrapped in a package that is still fun to cruise around in on the street. Generally reliable with a few issues. Needed a new starter and had to re-flow the solder in the ABS module. If you don't mind the high cost of operation (brakes, gas, big tires) it is both rewarding to drive and tons of fun. Stock cooling and brakes are just barely enough for short sprints, extended track use will require work in those areas. The OEM seats are really dubious and fall back on the track.

Favorite Features

Great motor and exhaust noises. Land missile. Extremely high handling limits. Easy on tires. Far better highway MPG than a 400 hp car should have. Generally good on-track dynamics, rotates readily but doesn't have nasty habits. Highly adjustable suspension OEM. Great ABS system. ESC works well for street driving. HUD is a cool feature. Good stereo. Three point belts lock while driving fast. Surprisingly usable trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Limit of the car is too high to safely enjoy on the street. The car is vague at the limit, a lot of bushing play was built into the ride and handling tuning. Long hood, bad approach/departure angles on ramps. Motor is pretty peaky, which is made worse by the MN12 gear ratios which are remarkably bad for road course performance. Fit and finish is only just okay. Seats are really, really bad in terms of support or even staying upright.

For the money can't do any better!
By paulz06

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second Corvette and the Z06 compared to my 2000 Coupe is in a totally different league. The Coupe was a blast and I enjoyed it to no end. It is rare living in a major city and looking forward to drive 4 wheels, but the Vettes will do that for you. My Z06 is somewhat a garage queen, but it is hard to stay away from her. This car is such a blast to drive and own I have a hard time deciding whether my Victory Kingpin or the Z06 is going to get my time. C5 Z06s can be had for as little as 19K or as high as 30K, depending upon mileage and condition. I paid 27K for mine, 8 months ago with 20K miles, GT1 wheels (4K), Corsa CatBack exhaust, and Vararam CAI, in flawless condition.

Favorite Features

(1) Performance -- Torque monster. (2) Handling (curve, what curve?) (3) Styling (Sexy, what else can you say? (4) Braking (5) HUD (6) Gas Mileage on a true sports car.

Suggested Improvements

(1) A little better interior. Not bad, but an upgrade would be nice. (2) First gear. Needs to be a little taller, IMHO

Probably the best!
By B-dub

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased my Z06 with 9,000 miles on the odometer. Best car I've owned. Great mpg for a car with base 405 hp. Best recorded 31.6 mpg. Some say noisy interior but with a trunk partition 80% of roadnoise gone. Hey, it's a sports car! Best bang for the buck car around. Great looks! Very quick, responsive.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, flawless.

Suggested Improvements

Seats need improvement. Lumbar support.

Thrilling!
By John

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is my third Corvette and definitely the most fun to drive. I was very surprised that the Z06 was extremely comfortable with fantastic gas mileage (18 city/28 highway) yet is is extremely fast when you turn it loose! This is one fast ride that delivers the most performance for the money spent! Go get one!

Favorite Features

Fast! Looks great! Comfortable and great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Great car just as it was made!

Z-Oh Baby!
By Azrael

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I must admit that this car was added to our garage to get me out of our 2002 Camaro SS that was originally purchased for my wife. I loved the LS1 F-body car so much and it got such great gas mileage that I totally forgot about my own 2001 F150 pickup and drove the Camaro everywhere. The wife wanted her car back and new I have always dreamed of owning a Corvette. Needless to say she made the appointment to go look at the car without me knowing what we were going to go look at, let alone that we were going to a car dealership. I drove the Z06 home the next day with a smile that I have been unable to erase since that day.

Favorite Features

Power on demand; not like the wife's Heads/Cam/Bolt-on/Suspension/Nitrous Camaro, but definitely with the refined Corvette feel!

Suggested Improvements

Audio and interior. The Monsoon system in the Camaro far surpasses the Bose system in the Z06; which boggles my mind since I had always thought Bose to be a quality manufacturer. Also the car is geared for driving, not cargo or passengers. The interior seems very 1980's, but then there's 405hp!

Private Rocketship
By Z06MOJO

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Found my baby with only 3400 miles and in Torch Red $38,000 U.S. greenbacks later and out the door I went. This car is just flat out the quickest, fastest, most beautiful car I have ever owned. As always beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that is just fine by me and the Corvette critics are always going to be around and that's OK too. Bang for buck there are no cars that even come close to delivering the goods the way a Z06 can. Just a big ear to ear smile every time. Sure there is some road noise, interior could be a little more plush or fancy, but this car is so damn rewarding to drive that any small dislikes are dismissed with any seat time. That is why I have one in my garage

Favorite Features

The way the gas pedal makes the scenery go ''whoosh''. Great bang for buck. Love the lines of this car. It just screams ''I have a purpose and that is performance and speed'' and it just makes my day to see it parked in my garage .

Suggested Improvements

Seat (lumbar), CD player

Corvette
By Colin

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This car has been my dream car for years. This Corvette still today blows most of every thing off the road. And it can be an everyday driver, without the hassle of keeping it revved up to run.

Favorite Features

The handling and braking systems are out of this world.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to improve on. Perhaps a heavier clutch.

Unbelievable
By mavvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a 2003 Z06 and what a ride! I love it. It has the best of both worlds, gas mileage and horsepower. I wish the seats were more comfortable and the sound system was better. I would have thought that in a car of this quality an mp3 player would be a standard option. Other than that, I love to drive the car and really enjoy the speed of these awesome machines. All I can say is that it is an incredible ride and I will never not own one again.

Favorite Features

The speed

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo. More noise supression. Also, you guys really need to do something about all the heat generated inside the car. It is unbelievable how hot it gets inside when you're driving the car even on a nice summer day with the windows down.

Awesome
By Bill

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Waited quite a few years to finally purchase a Vette and have not regretted it at all. This car is a lot of fun. Rides much nicer than expected.

Favorite Features

HP, HP, and more HP. Performance and handling. On long trips, using 6th gear get considerably better gas mileage than with either my minivan or SUV. The braking is outstanding as well

Suggested Improvements

Dash. Radio less Cavalier like, more upscale. Retractable or in window radio antenna (like my Camry had). I just took it off and use my ipod.

Pure Adrenaline
By Z06Stinger

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

The Z06 is a GREAT performance vehicle. It has great power, handling is amazing and the ride is very steady. If Chevy put this much effort into every vehicle they make, maybe they could take some of Toyota and Honda's market share. The only complaint with the drive is the brakes squeal incessantly due to excessive brake dust. The interior of the vehicle is cheaply done, although the HUD is a great touch and helps to keep your eyes on the road. One cup holder doesn't make the ladies happy and the road noise is so loud that it is impossible to do anything but drive the car. The temperature control is tempermental and I am not sure that the passenger side knob is even connected!

Favorite Features

Power, power, power and AMAZING handling in a turn. Heads up display is a great touch as are all of the various trip computers and system reports. Memory seats are great when they remember the right thing. Security feature on the vehicle actually works.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior design. This car is fun to drive - Chevy should make it fun to sit in too! Memory seats should be easier to program - sometimes they seem to have a mind of their own. Power passenger seat