Used 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Base 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

Buying a used Corvette
By crusinlou

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Since I have not had this car that long I can only tell you that be aware that there is a shift from 1st to 3rd on the manual if you take off at low rpm's this is to give you better gas mileage.

Favorite Features

I love all the electronic controls that set me up when I enter the car

Suggested Improvements

There is a dam across the lower front of the car that easily strikes a curb or parking block when parking. This should be higher up or farther back.

2003 Corvette Convertible
By Gary M Ciborowski

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Car is surprisingly comfortable to drive having come a long way from the Corvettes of the 70s and 80s. Fit and finish on my car, purchased used, is superb. Panel spacing is uniform from fender to hood to door. Doors close with solid definition. Manual top folds easily and is easy to operate without assistance. So far, rattle free. The leather seats fit me very well: the seat is just the right length and width. The seatback supports the entire length of my back with no hard spots. Power adjustments include lumbar support and this 50th Anniversary Edition has the memory option, so once you set the seat, wheel and radio preferences, they all return once you start the car.

Favorite Features

The driving position could not be better. The car is comfortable for long periods of time. Headroom with the top up is surprisingly good. The 2.73 axle ratio gives me over 28 mpg on the road. I can brake/accelerate with moving my heel from the floor. Excellent pedal positioning.

Suggested Improvements

Even with the base soft suspension the car is rough on washboard roads. This is an open road car, to be sure. The battery being directly above the main computer is a bad idea as they are noted for leaking over time, wiping out the PCM and A/C lines. A gel battery is in my future for this car.

Disgusted with GM, Warranty is worthless
By superb

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am totally disgusted with this car and won't purchase another GM product. Corvette was alway my dream car, my dreams were shattered when I bought my brand new 50th anniversary convertible. Many problems, including a leaky roof, 3 different dealers tell me nothing is wrong. After 5 attempts they finally replaced the rubber, guess what, it still leaks. This is just one of many problems with this car. If only the warranty were worth something. I might enjoy it if they would fix it.

Favorite Features

It is fast and pretty.

Suggested Improvements

Make the warranty worth the paper it is printed on.

Are you kidding me???
By David Long

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Are you kidding me? I cannot believe what a superb car the Corvette has become. My yellow, six speed, convertible does everything well. It is unbelieveably powerful, stable, comfortable, forgiving and just plan the most fun I've ever had driving a car. This is my third Corvette. I loved my '64' and my '85', but this C5 is over the top for the sheer joy of driving. Oh Nellie... What must the ZO6 be like?

Favorite Features

The drivetrain is a crowning achievement for this car. It is very well behaved in traffic and around town, but jab the accelerator, check the tach, pull second gear and you know why you spent $50,000. It is just a blast to ride this rocket. Oh yes, and it has darn good breaks too.

Suggested Improvements

I wish my convertible had the C6 interior. It is much more elegant, less muscle car looking.

Great Drive
By Great Drive

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This car is incrediable. It handles wonderfully. It's fun. Best of all, it's economical and holds resale value. Every time I fire it up and go for a drive, it makes me happy. The shear power and hum of the engine is amazing. Definitely, the best vechicle purchase I've ever made.