Used 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

2003 Z06
By lmartin5

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the car as a mixed use track and street car 2.5 years ago. Not sure if it is possible to get more speed per dollar while driving something that is totally OEM. Overall it is a highly capable track car wrapped in a package that is still fun to cruise around in on the street. Generally reliable with a few issues. Needed a new starter and had to re-flow the solder in the ABS module. If you don't mind the high cost of operation (brakes, gas, big tires) it is both rewarding to drive and tons of fun. Stock cooling and brakes are just barely enough for short sprints, extended track use will require work in those areas. The OEM seats are really dubious and fall back on the track.

Great motor and exhaust noises. Land missile. Extremely high handling limits. Easy on tires. Far better highway MPG than a 400 hp car should have. Generally good on-track dynamics, rotates readily but doesn't have nasty habits. Highly adjustable suspension OEM. Great ABS system. ESC works well for street driving. HUD is a cool feature. Good stereo. Three point belts lock while driving fast. Surprisingly usable trunk.

Limit of the car is too high to safely enjoy on the street. The car is vague at the limit, a lot of bushing play was built into the ride and handling tuning. Long hood, bad approach/departure angles on ramps. Motor is pretty peaky, which is made worse by the MN12 gear ratios which are remarkably bad for road course performance. Fit and finish is only just okay. Seats are really, really bad in terms of support or even staying upright.

For the money can't do any better!
By paulz06

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second Corvette and the Z06 compared to my 2000 Coupe is in a totally different league. The Coupe was a blast and I enjoyed it to no end. It is rare living in a major city and looking forward to drive 4 wheels, but the Vettes will do that for you. My Z06 is somewhat a garage queen, but it is hard to stay away from her. This car is such a blast to drive and own I have a hard time deciding whether my Victory Kingpin or the Z06 is going to get my time. C5 Z06s can be had for as little as 19K or as high as 30K, depending upon mileage and condition. I paid 27K for mine, 8 months ago with 20K miles, GT1 wheels (4K), Corsa CatBack exhaust, and Vararam CAI, in flawless condition.

(1) Performance -- Torque monster. (2) Handling (curve, what curve?) (3) Styling (Sexy, what else can you say? (4) Braking (5) HUD (6) Gas Mileage on a true sports car.

(1) A little better interior. Not bad, but an upgrade would be nice. (2) First gear. Needs to be a little taller, IMHO

Probably the best!
By B-dub

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased my Z06 with 9,000 miles on the odometer. Best car I've owned. Great mpg for a car with base 405 hp. Best recorded 31.6 mpg. Some say noisy interior but with a trunk partition 80% of roadnoise gone. Hey, it's a sports car! Best bang for the buck car around. Great looks! Very quick, responsive.

Exterior design, flawless.

Seats need improvement. Lumbar support.

Thrilling!
By John

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is my third Corvette and definitely the most fun to drive. I was very surprised that the Z06 was extremely comfortable with fantastic gas mileage (18 city/28 highway) yet is is extremely fast when you turn it loose! This is one fast ride that delivers the most performance for the money spent! Go get one!

Fast! Looks great! Comfortable and great gas mileage!

Great car just as it was made!

Z-Oh Baby!
By Azrael

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I must admit that this car was added to our garage to get me out of our 2002 Camaro SS that was originally purchased for my wife. I loved the LS1 F-body car so much and it got such great gas mileage that I totally forgot about my own 2001 F150 pickup and drove the Camaro everywhere. The wife wanted her car back and new I have always dreamed of owning a Corvette. Needless to say she made the appointment to go look at the car without me knowing what we were going to go look at, let alone that we were going to a car dealership. I drove the Z06 home the next day with a smile that I have been unable to erase since that day.

Power on demand; not like the wife's Heads/Cam/Bolt-on/Suspension/Nitrous Camaro, but definitely with the refined Corvette feel!

Audio and interior. The Monsoon system in the Camaro far surpasses the Bose system in the Z06; which boggles my mind since I had always thought Bose to be a quality manufacturer. Also the car is geared for driving, not cargo or passengers. The interior seems very 1980's, but then there's 405hp!