Used 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

C5 is a True Driving Machine
By Yvette

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my dream C5, a yellow convertible with a white top and red seats without ever driving it based purely on specifications and styling. Driving it the last 4 years & 9 months has been a blast. It is just as exciting today as it was then. I have driven many cars from all manufacturers except the expensive exotics ala Ferrari and Lamborghini and nothing compares to the Corvette. The car has been perfect except for replacing the battery & O2 sensor. I drive it hard and fast eight months out of the year. It's been a total thrill. Every time I finish a drive, I feel such exhilaration that I want to jump out like Speed Racer. I'm a woman driver that'll never. I need a C6.

Favorite features include all driving dynamics of the vehicle: power, braking, turning, acceleration and road stability at high speeds on curves or straight aways. Styling is sweet. HUD is a must for fast driving. Power tilt & telecoping steering is great for short drivers & optimum driving position

I drove a C6 for three weeks and put 4,500 miles on the car during that time period. I can say that the C6 basically captured all improvements I'd recommend: Improved road isolation from both noise and bumps, interior noise reduction,and improved interior styling.

Love it
By rollie

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned a few Vette converts '58,'61,'66,'67,'71,'75,'87, '95,'98 .. I loved everyone. When I turned 65 I wanted one for keeps. The '02 Flame Red convert I now have is the best. Not one problem since I bought it. Keeps me feeling young and the gals love it.

The auto tranny, handling, Bose Radio, super A/C, sleek looks and affordable price. I'm 6'5" and have loads of leg room.

Can't think of one except the lousy Goodyears that came with it. Threw them away and much happier with Firehawks.

Can't touch this for the price
By bcarnalis

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Are there better sports cars in the world? Yes, certainly. Are there better ones for less than twice the price of the Z06? That is much less clear. This car is a performance monster, in all regards. It isn't just a straight line car, but will corner with Ferraris and brake with Porsches, and do it all for 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost. Of course you pay for this in terms of quality of the interior materials, which do not match Porsche and Ferrari. But if you just want to hang with your buddy's F360 on the track, this car will do it right out of the showroom. And it has a heads-up display!

The engine. Sounds wicked. 30 MPG highway, 24 in mixed commuting. Exotic performance with daily-driver livability. Heads up display!

Interior is ergonomically good, but uses cheap plastics. Could improve materials. Could use storage doodads such as map pockets. Don't completely trust Chevy dealerships.

Consider one for your next car!
By JLH

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

If you are looking for a perfomance car in the $35,000 range, this is your car. Seriously, go drive one before you buy something else. In my opinion, moving up in price from the Z06 only seems to buy exclusivity. Consumer Reports doesn't rate the reliability well, so I got mine at Carmaxx with an extended warranty until 2009. My mileage is nearing 26,000 and I haven't needed the warranty yet. A Z06 is only about 200lb heavier than a Porsche Boxter but has 140 more hp, is 250lb lighter than an M3 (but has 75 more hp) and 400lb lighter than a Viper, but just slightly less hp. Supercharger kits put the C5 hp at 550 for about $7,000. The C5 drivetrain is reportedly reliable to 700hp.

Average 22 mpg daily driving through town to/from work. Average 28mpg over 900 miles to/from Key West. Comfortable, even for extended periods. Acceleration, braking, handling, stares and comments from friends, neighbors, strangers. Exhaust note sounds evil. Knowing there are so few cars faster.

Larger trunk opening. Less intrusive active handling system. Center console lid hinge is very poorly designed. Some exterior trim pieces are not wearing well.

Hard to Beat!
By Lee Whitney

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

For the money, the 02 Z06 is hard to beat! Performance is right up there with exotics that cost way more. My only real complaint is the slight amount of "orange peel" in the paint and they could have used better quality leather in the seats. On a trip, I got 30 miles per gal with the Z06 in 6th gear and the cruise control set at about73 mph.Not bad for a 405 HP hot rod.I recent put a Vortech (smog legal) supercharger on my Z06 and it's now putting out over 560 (reliable)HP at the crank and it still gets over 27 miles per gal. It's a real animal and should be able to stay right with the new 2006 (500 hp) Z06. Even with the blower, I am extremely happy with the durablity and reliablity of my Z06.

The engine HP & Torque. Even stock, it was awesome. The handling & braking is excellent. The "Heads Up Display" is really great when you kick things up a notch or two.

Better paint. Better leather seat covers. Shorter shifter throws.