2002 Z06—Better Than You Think…
By n938b on
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 6M)
The 405 hp Z06 is a terrific car. No fan of the Corvette since mid-year Stingrays, my first drive in a C5 changed my opinion instantly. Solid without the cowl shake, squeaks, and rattles of the past. Low sills, analog dash, comfortable seats. But it was the greatly improved rigidity that made me a believer that Chevrolet finally got the car right… or close to it. If you haven't driven one, don't let old perceptions preclude consideration of this terrific performing automobile.
Favorite Features
The small block is incredible. 405 hp provides heart-stopping acceleration, yet is forgiving in town and on the highway. On a 7-hour trip from Elkhart Lake, WI, I averaged 30.4 mpg with A/C and cruise set just below 70 mph. Stability control and traction control are seemless.
Suggested Improvements
The car needs an interior. The radio is the same one used in S-10 pickups. A 4-speaker stereo is okay, but it's hardly state of the art. How about a garage-door openers, satellite radio, OnStar, and side airbags would provide value to a great car.