Used 1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

The Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By JDS

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Simply the best car I have ever owned. Great fun to drive and with its'optionial stability control it is also very safe. With 345HP it is very fast but on the road at 70MPH it gets 32+MPG.

The 6 speed manual Z51 package makes it fun to drive. The stability control & heads up display are a must.

More sound proofing to reduce road noise.

Cheap Thrills
By Snake Herder

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Having driven a Shelby GT500 for 30 years, my standards are high. The C5 met them readily, and just keeps getting better. Average 24 MPG, highway of 30 MPG at 70 MPH. I'm a big guy, and the car fits well. Active Handling is fabulous, the sound system is great, and it looks incredible. While the Z06 of a couple of years later is more powerful, I like the fastback look, and can mostly have a convertible when I want. Great car for the money - less than a Civic Hybrid, and the MPG is great for a 13.5 second quarter miler with a top speed north of 170.

Active handling, Bose sound, LS1 engine, transaxle/weight distribution.

The windshield header squeaks a little. The original "wagon wheels" are a bit funky (I replaced with Z06 wheels). The cup holder is a joke, but who needs a cup holder in a Corvette? Better left out. Wait - it holds my cell phone! Guess it isn't so bad after all.

My first one
By The Singer

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Recently bought first Vette after many years of wanting one. Car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Only regret is I didn't buy one sooner. Handles nicely.

Style of car, looks good from any angle.

Do not like radio antenna built into windshield.[poor reception] Should have been a regular or power antenna.

2nd 1999
By IXLR8

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is my second 1999. Only this one is a fixed-roof coupe. And this one has a 6 speed. You drive this car rather than point and shoot as with the auto. My 5th Corvette overall and absolutely the best. It's a rebuild and the tolerances are better than from the factory. 30mpg. No problems. Hard top is very tight. Much more stable in cornering. My German buddies would die for this car. Why? Price - I paid less than $20K. And great gas mileage.

Borla Stinger exhaust sound. Who needs a radio? The car is the musician. Very comfortable. reliable. A real "Feel Good" car... Lots of torque.

Steering wheel interlock a problem. This is my second '99 so a CAGS bypass device took care of that. Runflat tires unnecessary. Get some FIX a Flat and save $200. Cooling fans need to come on at lower temps.

Can't Drive My Shelby Anymore
By Snake Charmer

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've owned a Shelby GT500 for 30 years, but it finally got too valuable to drive. Enter the 1999 C5. It's a terrific, high smiles per dollar car. Faster than the old GT500, and nearly as quick, but with many more creature comforts. It won't replace the Shelby in my garage, but is a terrific daily- driver and is here to stay. I like the black on black, no frills approach. One of my friends said it looks more like a weapon than a luxo- cruiser. I'm 6'5", and it fits well.

Power, interior layout, seating position, lack of cupholders (it's a driver's car, after all), exterior shape. HUD and Active Handling are terrific. Brake system - stops as well as it goes.

Maybe a bit more dominant exhaust note - louder, not different. Privacy glass (deep tint) standard on rear hatch. Maybe adjustable pedals (my wife is a lot shorter than I am).