Used 1999 Chevrolet Corvette Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

Can't Drive My Shelby Anymore
By Snake Charmer

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've owned a Shelby GT500 for 30 years, but it finally got too valuable to drive. Enter the 1999 C5. It's a terrific, high smiles per dollar car. Faster than the old GT500, and nearly as quick, but with many more creature comforts. It won't replace the Shelby in my garage, but is a terrific daily- driver and is here to stay. I like the black on black, no frills approach. One of my friends said it looks more like a weapon than a luxo- cruiser. I'm 6'5", and it fits well.

Power, interior layout, seating position, lack of cupholders (it's a driver's car, after all), exterior shape. HUD and Active Handling are terrific. Brake system - stops as well as it goes.

Maybe a bit more dominant exhaust note - louder, not different. Privacy glass (deep tint) standard on rear hatch. Maybe adjustable pedals (my wife is a lot shorter than I am).

1999 FRC Review
By Jason

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just bought this car used but in immaculate condition. I have all the records for everything that has been done to the car, and it has had its share of electrical problems, such as the fuel gauge, stereo, and power window motors. However, just sitting in the car and firing it up puts a smile on my face. The performance is amazing and the ride comfort is surprisingly good. Driving the car from Texas to VA, I averaged well over 30 mpg. There is also ample storage in the back for pretty much anything you need to carry such as luggage or groceries. In my opinion, the C5 Corvette is by far the best bang for the buck vehicle out there. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner.

Performance, i.e. acceleration, handling, braking. Very drivable, once you get over the long nose and used to hitting every bump in the road at an angle to avoid scrapping. The exterior styling -- I really enjoy just cleaning on the car!

Interior aesthetics, too much plastic. Hard to locate jacking points, its easy for a shop to crack your rocker panels if they don't know how to jack the car up.

Old reliable
By Corvette44

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good solid car that is great to drive, always dependable and never stops putting a smile on my face. Highway mileage is outstanding. And I've never had any trouble with the car. It was a great everyday drive till the kids came along, now its an even better weekender.

Plenty of power and torque from a tried and true push rod engine

Can you ever really have enough horepower??

My daily driver still makes me smile.
By Dean

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I had always wanted a Corvette, so when I could finally afford and justify one, I bought a loaded 1999 Coupe 6-speed Z-51 model. It has been my daily driver and I put on an average of 18,000 miles a year. I have never had any problems with the car except for a steering column lock problem that was corrected with a recall. I have had absolutely no repair or mechanical costs for the car outside of fuel and regular maintenance (oil changes, tires, air/fuel filter, battery replacement). This car has been an absolute breeze to take care of and has been extremely reliable. It is smooth as silk on the highway and is a blast to drive. I will always drive a Corvette.

Fun to drive in every situation (the 911 seemed a little tame in comparison) and easily liveable with a smooth, comfortable ride and plenty of storage/luggage space.

People complain about the cheaper materials in the interior, but it has been durable and easy to keep clean. I don't worry about the feel of the dashboard material while I am blasting off to 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

A bargain thrill ride
By Brian

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my 'vette used with 45k miles on the clock. Its been a hoot to drive this car when I can get in open area. It's a monster on the track, and the engine is very flexible with a superwide forgiving power band. The low end grunt makes getting it going off the line a breeze, and it has more than enough power to lay down rubber into second gear. The trunk is actually large enough to be useful for day to day driving. In fact this is my only car, and it works very well for that except for the rare occasions when I have someone flying into town. If you're looking for a powerful yet civilized ride for your day to day grind, this is it.

The electronic stability control is great. Prevents a lot of oops when you get aggressive with the loud pedal. The driver information center (little text display screen) is very cool too.

Interior build quality could be a bit better. After 60k miles things are starting to come apart a little.