1999 Chevrolet Corvette Hardtop Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:
The Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By JDS on 05/20/06 12:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Simply the best car I have ever owned. Great fun to drive and with its'optionial stability control it is also very safe. With 345HP it is very fast but on the road at 70MPH it gets 32+MPG.

Cheap Thrills
By Snake Herder on 05/20/06 01:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Having driven a Shelby GT500 for 30 years, my standards are high. The C5 met them readily, and just keeps getting better. Average 24 MPG, highway of 30 MPG at 70 MPH. I'm a big guy, and the car fits well. Active Handling is fabulous, the sound system is great, and it looks incredible. While the Z06 of a couple of years later is more powerful, I like the fastback look, and can mostly have a convertible when I want. Great car for the money - less than a Civic Hybrid, and the MPG is great for a 13.5 second quarter miler with a top speed north of 170.

My first one
By The Singer on 04/23/06 20:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Recently bought first Vette after many years of wanting one. Car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Only regret is I didn't buy one sooner. Handles nicely.

2nd 1999
By IXLR8 on 03/09/06 13:43 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is my second 1999. Only this one is a fixed-roof coupe. And this one has a 6 speed. You drive this car rather than point and shoot as with the auto. My 5th Corvette overall and absolutely the best. It's a rebuild and the tolerances are better than from the factory. 30mpg. No problems. Hard top is very tight. Much more stable in cornering. My German buddies would die for this car. Why? Price - I paid less than $20K. And great gas mileage.

Can't Drive My Shelby Anymore
By Snake Charmer on 03/06/06 10:26 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've owned a Shelby GT500 for 30 years, but it finally got too valuable to drive. Enter the 1999 C5. It's a terrific, high smiles per dollar car. Faster than the old GT500, and nearly as quick, but with many more creature comforts. It won't replace the Shelby in my garage, but is a terrific daily- driver and is here to stay. I like the black on black, no frills approach. One of my friends said it looks more like a weapon than a luxo- cruiser. I'm 6'5", and it fits well.

1999 FRC Review
By Jason on 11/15/05 12:47 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just bought this car used but in immaculate condition. I have all the records for everything that has been done to the car, and it has had its share of electrical problems, such as the fuel gauge, stereo, and power window motors. However, just sitting in the car and firing it up puts a smile on my face. The performance is amazing and the ride comfort is surprisingly good. Driving the car from Texas to VA, I averaged well over 30 mpg. There is also ample storage in the back for pretty much anything you need to carry such as luggage or groceries. In my opinion, the C5 Corvette is by far the best bang for the buck vehicle out there. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner.

Old reliable
By Corvette44 on 09/21/05 18:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good solid car that is great to drive, always dependable and never stops putting a smile on my face. Highway mileage is outstanding. And I've never had any trouble with the car. It was a great everyday drive till the kids came along, now its an even better weekender.

My daily driver still makes me smile.
By Dean on 03/27/05 00:38 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I had always wanted a Corvette, so when I could finally afford and justify one, I bought a loaded 1999 Coupe 6-speed Z-51 model. It has been my daily driver and I put on an average of 18,000 miles a year. I have never had any problems with the car except for a steering column lock problem that was corrected with a recall. I have had absolutely no repair or mechanical costs for the car outside of fuel and regular maintenance (oil changes, tires, air/fuel filter, battery replacement). This car has been an absolute breeze to take care of and has been extremely reliable. It is smooth as silk on the highway and is a blast to drive. I will always drive a Corvette.

A bargain thrill ride
By Brian on 01/27/05 14:51 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my 'vette used with 45k miles on the clock. Its been a hoot to drive this car when I can get in open area. It's a monster on the track, and the engine is very flexible with a superwide forgiving power band. The low end grunt makes getting it going off the line a breeze, and it has more than enough power to lay down rubber into second gear. The trunk is actually large enough to be useful for day to day driving. In fact this is my only car, and it works very well for that except for the rare occasions when I have someone flying into town. If you're looking for a powerful yet civilized ride for your day to day grind, this is it.

1999 Hardtop
By Jerry on 12/18/04 11:30 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Simply a great car with no problems. It is fun to drive & lots of power whenever you feel the need. The optional active handling system & great brakes makes it one of the safest cars on the road. Surprisingly on the highway at 70 mph in 6th gear it will average 32+ miles per gallon.