1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 - (12 reviews )
6 speed manual convertible
By carguy2021 on 07/25/12 12:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

I loved this car! That being said, I had some serious issues. I bought it with 44k miles, and owned it through 65k miles. Right away, it was popping out of 6th gear. Luckily I had an extended warranty. This required a trans rebuild which was $5-6k. I had an issue with the steering column lock motor -- it failed, requiring the car to be towed to the dealership. The welds on the exhaust break over time, requiring repair or replacement. Other than the problems, the car is smooth, insanely fast, and gets great gas mileage - I got as high as 33 mpg at 70mph. The stereo is amazing - Bose.

C5 ragtop... a dream turned reality
By aC5ragtopforEd on 12/21/09 19:54 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

For years I drooled over 'Vettes and due to my height (6'8"), I could never fit in one. Then along came the C5 and changed all of that. There it was.. screaming my name out... torch red with oak interior, 6sp, Bose, the works. I've never had a lick of trouble with the car, and its been impeccably maintained for the past 10yrs, never in the rain or snow. Still looks factory fresh. And my plates say it all: LUCKYME

1999 Corvette
By lawrence kilfoy on 07/06/06 09:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

This has been a exceptional Corvette. No warranty work required. The manufacturers' original Goodyear run flat tires were very noisy and I changed to Michelins for a better ride.

A nice car for the money
By Stephen on 04/10/06 19:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car used from a friend with 6,000 miles on the clock. It looks great (torch red with 2000 chrome wheels, black gut and top).It runs well and people give me a lot of thumbs up on the road. The stock engine has plenty of ponies for the average person. Just a hoot to drive.

Pleased Corvette Owner
By 1999 Corvette on 02/14/06 20:43 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

1999 Magnetic Red Metallic Convertible with Light Oak Interior/Top. Magnificent Machine. My plate says it all...YS I CAN... Color is so deep you feel as though you could dive into it. Looks like it needs a ticket just sitting still! Could not be happier with a great American Sport Car. Has every option available.

Great sports car
By Bob on 10/09/05 08:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

This sports car is quite a lot fun. Great for almost all occasions. Recommend the convertible! Nothing like a top down cruise on a nice summer night. Loaded with features. Instrumentation has everything.

99 Silver Corvette Convt.
By coutchem on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

6 speed transmission had to be rebuilt at 30,000 miles. Fog lights burn out. Couple of recall problems. Smooth ride and goes like a rocket when you want to. Can do 120 +++, but still get 30 mpg on the highway. Drove over 12,000 in two months and enjoyed the ride and performance. Great sports car and turns heads.

Brain's review
By Hitman on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

What kid growing up here in the great US of A hasn't dreamed of owning a vette? Well my dream came true in May. I have never drove one and saw this low mileage beauty ( only had 2500 miles when I bought it ) when my wife saw it sitting at a local dealership. All I can say is that the ride and performance are way so much better than I had ever even thought. AND I'm getting 21 mpg to boot ! Just can not say enough about how great this car is. Thank you to my wife, Kim, for helping to make this dream come true.

Best Roadster in America
By Kuda on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

I had one of the very first C-5's in Hawaii I bought in late 97. Would'nt "kick in" when punched. Dealers couldn't figure out problem. So, ordered a 99 6 speed convertible, with Z51 suspension. Took a few months to arrive in Hawaii. At first I thought it was the wrong color. The way the sun hit it, an almost purple pearl came thru the Navy Blue Mettalic paint. It was beautiful. What was Chevy thinking when they discontinued that color. Now have 14k miles. No major problems. Then got the "check traction control" message, with rough running. Computer module fried. Strongly advise getting extended warranty. Otherwise, the best vette ever.

zoom zoom this
By space nurd on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

Owning Italian and British performance cars in the 80's and 90's. I converted to my absolute favorite - the Corvette. My C5 roadster is MY BABY. I confess that it shares the garage with the old Maserati rag top I decided to keep - the Corvette is my favorite. Nothing like a top down drive on the California coast. (see favorite features and improvements)