1999 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:
Best Vehicle I Have Ever Owned
By Dan on 10/31/08 00:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I love this car! I have had no trouble with it mechanically and it gets great gas mileage. Who would have believed? The car is fast and fun to drive! I am completely satisfied with this car!

1999 6 speed hardtop
By lonewlf on 12/19/07 10:27 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I have owned Corvettes all my life and this is just another in a long line of Corvette's that I have owned. I was told my other Corvette owners that once you drive a C5 you will never want to drive an LT1 again. They are correct. I drove a C5 and 9 months later, after searching very carefully, I purchased my 1999 Corvette Hardtop. It handles great, and I love the 6speed. It provides a nice comfortable ride, has a lot of power, and does not allow for much outside noise. It is a very functional and reliable Corvette with great curb appeal. A daily driver that turns heads.

Built by proud designers
By Lynn Johnson on 03/18/07 18:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

My second Corvette (1991, I've had a great deal of fun with both the "01 and the '99. After reading "all Corvettes are red", I realized the '99 must be an unusually fine automobile and I believe it is. I drive it the speed limits, and when I brought it back from buying it in Austin, Texas (some 1000 plus miles) my average mpg was 36. However everyone wont be able to get 36 mpg, because the car just asks to be driven hard.

Corvette - No Thanks
By Gary on 01/06/07 11:28 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

If you have or plan to buy a Corvette, you better have a fat pocket book. I just got rid of my 1999 Corvette because I was tired of putting money into it. Although it turns heads and is fun to drive it all boils down to that this car is junk, especially for a "hand made" car. Mine was not a daily driver and was garage kept. I'm even anal about having a spot on it. All scheduled maintenance had been done. Maybe I got a lemon. All I can say is never let your extended warranty expire. My Corvette had 25,500 miles when I got rid of it. Problems? Bald Goodyear tires $1350 for Michelins. Bad window motor $600. Fuel gauge not working $979. New gas tank $715.

Hooked for life
By Zooooom on 12/23/06 09:52 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Always wanted a Vette, finally got to the point "What am I waiting for?" Considering the cost this car is unbelievable. Great gas mileage is an added bonus 32+ MPG on highway trips. Who would have thought a car with this level of performance barely missed being a low emissions vehicle? It is absolutely exhilarating to drive, looks great, and is surprising comfortable. After test driving a numer of Vette's, C4 to C5 was a huge improvement, C5 to C6 subtle - so C5 was the way to go. Even insurance isn't bad.

The Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By JDS on 05/20/06 12:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Simply the best car I have ever owned. Great fun to drive and with its'optionial stability control it is also very safe. With 345HP it is very fast but on the road at 70MPH it gets 32+MPG.

Cheap Thrills
By Snake Herder on 05/20/06 01:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Having driven a Shelby GT500 for 30 years, my standards are high. The C5 met them readily, and just keeps getting better. Average 24 MPG, highway of 30 MPG at 70 MPH. I'm a big guy, and the car fits well. Active Handling is fabulous, the sound system is great, and it looks incredible. While the Z06 of a couple of years later is more powerful, I like the fastback look, and can mostly have a convertible when I want. Great car for the money - less than a Civic Hybrid, and the MPG is great for a 13.5 second quarter miler with a top speed north of 170.

My first one
By The Singer on 04/23/06 20:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Recently bought first Vette after many years of wanting one. Car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Only regret is I didn't buy one sooner. Handles nicely.

2nd 1999
By IXLR8 on 03/09/06 13:43 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

This is my second 1999. Only this one is a fixed-roof coupe. And this one has a 6 speed. You drive this car rather than point and shoot as with the auto. My 5th Corvette overall and absolutely the best. It's a rebuild and the tolerances are better than from the factory. 30mpg. No problems. Hard top is very tight. Much more stable in cornering. My German buddies would die for this car. Why? Price - I paid less than $20K. And great gas mileage.

Can't Drive My Shelby Anymore
By Snake Charmer on 03/06/06 10:26 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I've owned a Shelby GT500 for 30 years, but it finally got too valuable to drive. Enter the 1999 C5. It's a terrific, high smiles per dollar car. Faster than the old GT500, and nearly as quick, but with many more creature comforts. It won't replace the Shelby in my garage, but is a terrific daily- driver and is here to stay. I like the black on black, no frills approach. One of my friends said it looks more like a weapon than a luxo- cruiser. I'm 6'5", and it fits well.