Used 1998 Chevrolet Corvette Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 - (16 reviews )

Couldn't get any better
By jim98vette

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with all the paperwork at 76k miles. It's my 2nd vette 1st being a 75 sting ray 30 years ago. I've wanted another one ever since. From day one it's been way more than my expectations. Performance is outstanding, handling superb, ergonomics excellent, just a get in it and drive $150,000 European sports car made in usa by American auto makers. And at a fraction of what it would cost if made say in Italy. This car's ls1 is obviously built to handle anything with 6 bolt main bearing caps and a state of the art ls1 engine. I think it's more car than anyone expects plain and simple. All I've added is vortex air cleaner/intake and borla performance exhaust. And shift bypass

Incredible handling and instant performance. Great one of a kind design

Hmm. I'm thinking. Put it this way. I will buy a new one someday maybe and it will be a c5. Someone somewhere is afraid to drive theirs and it'll be low mileage when I'm ready. Don't you have to love those guys who don't drive their vettes and just brag about the low miles on it. What a laugh

Brand new '98
By des7823

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just bought a '98 Vette. It is a great looking car and is very, very fun to drive. The performance is awesome. A couple of negatives are the driver's seat doesn't quite lock in place all the time, the passenger window doesn't seal really well and lets in air noise around 90mph. Also, the check engine light has come on after I drove it hard. I plan to fix up these minor issues, because I love the car and the looks and performance make up for any other flaws.

Again, the looks and performance are the best in the world.

Passenger's window leaks air and needs a tighter seal.

Long term owner
By Lynn Hondo

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought vehicle new in 1998. It has given me many years of almost trouble free performance. I've only had two problems; a sensor in the active handling system failed, which was replaced under warranty, and I encountered a steering wheel lockup. There was a recall for the steering wheel lock up that I had not taken care of, so I was somewhat at fault for having an untimely lock up. I've read where a number of people have had the lock up. In my case the car was in a parking lot, I got in to leave and the steering wheel would not unlock. Had to tow into dealer for fix. The car is quick, and hard acceleration is a real kick. My driving style results in mileage of 24 miles per gallon.

Driving performance. quick off the line, 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Very comfortable seats. (sport model option)

Reduce inside noise. Tires result in lots of road noise. Leather finish on seats wears off easily.

Loving Life After Divorce
By Rusty

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought my first Vette at 25 yrs old for 22K. Loving the car in every sense. The seat of the pants feel is amazing and other the a few mechanical problems she is alot fun to cruise in. Headlight gear bad at 42K, Turn signal bulb bad 3 times in 20K, coolant overflow tank replaced at 46K, Oil pressure sensor replaced at 43K, belt tensioner at 58K and battery at 55K. I push this car like a sports car should be pushed and at 65K I can still muster up a 13.4 @104mph at the track. Only mods are a catback exhaust and Blackwing Intake. GM keep up the good work and I cannot wait to see what the 2006 Z06 can put down for a 1/4 mile time!!!

Sleek Styling, Traction control off switch, 350Hp and the looks you'll get on the street.

HUD standard equipment...That's it!!!!

Smokem '98
By PC'98 Vette

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have enjoyed driving this car. I have driven other sports cars and this by far exceeds the exhiliration I have ever felt before. Thank you Chevrolet.

The acceleration from 90+ mph. The gas mileage is much better than I could've expected. It's a head turner.

My only suggestion is a cup holder but I have taken care of that situation.