Used 1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Base 5.7L V8 - (14 reviews )

Love This Vette
By NyBob

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is just a wonderful and fun car to drive. Everywhere I go and I pull up people are looking at the car like it is a rock star. This is my second Vette, the first was a C-4 model and this baby blows it away. GM needs to start working on building their cars like they do the Vette if they want to stay in business

Favorite Features

Power, looks, and fuel usage.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders and an automatic retractable roof.

1998 convert auto Borla triple-black
By Dennis D'Andrea

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

Trouble-free. Drive it from eastern Long Island to Corvettes at Carlisle, PA, every year. Nearly 10 years old but only 19,000 or so miles. Four-inch Borla pipes look and sound great.

Favorite Features

Convertible. Borla exhaust system. Triple black. Memory seats. Digital information center.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements raise the price point. I think Corvette had it right in 1998.

So Far, So Good
By Mark Christ

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have dreamed about owning a red Corvette convertable since I was a young boy. At the age of 53 and after selling my parent's home when they passed away, I finally had enough disposable income to purchase the car of my dreams. I think of my parents almost every time I drive the car, I'm sure they are smiling down at me, knowing how 'Corvette crazy' I've always been. I live in the upper midwest so I only have about 6-7 months a year to drive it so I do so as much as possible. The car had 34,000 miles on it when I bought it and in the 18 months since I've owned it I have put on another 15,000 miles. Except for a bad O2 sensor and an ocassional check engine light glitch it has performed well

Favorite Features

The awesome shape, color, look (especially with the top down), comfort and performance. It always brings on the looks from other drivers.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the automatic transmission would start out in 1st gear instead of 2nd without having to manually select the 1 position. An on/off switch for this would be great.

Only a Vette
By sean.c

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

98 Vette Ragtop with the six speed. Unbeatable performance-to-dollar ratio. Bought it with 17k miles on it; the Delco 12 CD-changer never has worked, the steering column lock failed first at 18,000 miles and then again six months later. Both times got no help from GM (dealer and corporate), $500 per repair out of my pocket. Finally found a company out of Texas that sold an aftermarket bypass and had the local Vette shop install it. Problem solved. The performance and status outweigh the GM quirks. After my experience with GM customer service I would NEVER again purchase a GM product...except, of course, another Vette. Go for the extended warranty next time, I'll need it!

Favorite Features

Performance! Your arrival anywhere is an event. Utility: the trunk swallows my huge ice hockey bag, even with the trunk down. Try that with the M3!

Suggested Improvements

Electronics, steering column lock, cup holder!, shifter, GM customer service.

Dream Come True
By Justin K

1998 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought the car used but have loved every minute of my ownership. Only real problem was with the electronic steering lock. Phenomenal storage capability, even with the top down. Acceleration is great...able to beat most of the cars I cross. Great handling, even at high speeds (130+ mph). Car turns heads and garners questions all the time. There is nothing in the world like driving an American classic with the wind in your hair.

Favorite Features

Power, acceleration, looks, being part of the Corvette family...Save the Wave!

Suggested Improvements

Interior still reminds me of a slightly nicer Cavalier or Camaro. Wouldn't hurt nicen it up a bit.