1998 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:
Couldn't get any better
By jim98vette on 05/22/10 16:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with all the paperwork at 76k miles. It's my 2nd vette 1st being a 75 sting ray 30 years ago. I've wanted another one ever since. From day one it's been way more than my expectations. Performance is outstanding, handling superb, ergonomics excellent, just a get in it and drive $150,000 European sports car made in usa by American auto makers. And at a fraction of what it would cost if made say in Italy. This car's ls1 is obviously built to handle anything with 6 bolt main bearing caps and a state of the art ls1 engine. I think it's more car than anyone expects plain and simple. All I've added is vortex air cleaner/intake and borla performance exhaust. And shift bypass

Brand new '98
By des7823 on 04/09/07 19:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I just bought a '98 Vette. It is a great looking car and is very, very fun to drive. The performance is awesome. A couple of negatives are the driver's seat doesn't quite lock in place all the time, the passenger window doesn't seal really well and lets in air noise around 90mph. Also, the check engine light has come on after I drove it hard. I plan to fix up these minor issues, because I love the car and the looks and performance make up for any other flaws.

Long term owner
By Lynn Hondo on 01/20/06 17:06 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I bought vehicle new in 1998. It has given me many years of almost trouble free performance. I've only had two problems; a sensor in the active handling system failed, which was replaced under warranty, and I encountered a steering wheel lockup. There was a recall for the steering wheel lock up that I had not taken care of, so I was somewhat at fault for having an untimely lock up. I've read where a number of people have had the lock up. In my case the car was in a parking lot, I got in to leave and the steering wheel would not unlock. Had to tow into dealer for fix. The car is quick, and hard acceleration is a real kick. My driving style results in mileage of 24 miles per gallon.

Loving Life After Divorce
By Rusty on 10/23/05 02:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Bought my first Vette at 25 yrs old for 22K. Loving the car in every sense. The seat of the pants feel is amazing and other the a few mechanical problems she is alot fun to cruise in. Headlight gear bad at 42K, Turn signal bulb bad 3 times in 20K, coolant overflow tank replaced at 46K, Oil pressure sensor replaced at 43K, belt tensioner at 58K and battery at 55K. I push this car like a sports car should be pushed and at 65K I can still muster up a 13.4 @104mph at the track. Only mods are a catback exhaust and Blackwing Intake. GM keep up the good work and I cannot wait to see what the 2006 Z06 can put down for a 1/4 mile time!!!

Smokem '98
By PC'98 Vette on 07/10/05 04:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I have enjoyed driving this car. I have driven other sports cars and this by far exceeds the exhiliration I have ever felt before. Thank you Chevrolet.

Attention Getter
By Warren on 06/23/05 22:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I didn't mean to buy it, but the test drive sold it. I'm 50 now, and wanted a Corvette since I was a teenager. I've never had a car that has received so much attention. Mechanics come out and talk about it. People in the waiting room talk about it. My good friend shook my hand to tell me it's the best thing I ever bought. My wife and daughter want to drive it all the time. People at work talk about it. People on the road act like they want to race. Don't buy this car if you dislike attention.

1998 Corvette Coupe
By NYgeorge on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Excellent performance and still good fuel economy. Ride is considerably good for a true sports car. Removeable top is nice and still has adequate luggae storage for road trips. Best feature is the Corvette family and wave :)

LP
By lpalmer on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Car is very fun to drive. Water pump went out at 78000 but other than that the car has been perfect.

C5 vette
By 911vettebenz on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I pursched this car as a runabout. I grew up with Porsche and have had numberous in the stable and currently have 2 911's. I enjoy the car. It is relatively reliable with no significant events to date except that the battery came apart from the past and leaked down in the engine bay. Upon opening the trunk in the rain, it all pours inside the storage bay. This suspension is alittle soft, so I have to adjust the ride to performance mode to stop from being thrown into the roof. The performance is adequate, the zo6 is probably the better option.

1998 Vette
By Stros on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Bought my Vette about 6 months ago. Prices are really coming down, since this is a 5 year old car; still the most current body style though! The performance is awesome, totally fast enough stock, with enough potential for modifications, if you want to take it to the track. Will outhandle me no problem (I don't have a death wish). Gas mileage is great and the car is MUCH more comfortable than the C4. One of the prettiest cars on the road.