1998 Chevrolet Corvette Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

1998 Corvette Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

Sort Reviews by

Couldn't get any better
By jim98vette

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with all the paperwork at 76k miles. It's my 2nd vette 1st being a 75 sting ray 30 years ago. I've wanted another one ever since. From day one it's been way more than my expectations. Performance is outstanding, handling superb, ergonomics excellent, just a get in it and drive $150,000 European sports car made in usa by American auto makers. And at a fraction of what it would cost if made say in Italy. This car's ls1 is obviously built to handle anything with 6 bolt main bearing caps and a state of the art ls1 engine. I think it's more car than anyone expects plain and simple. All I've added is vortex air cleaner/intake and borla performance exhaust. And shift bypass

Favorite Features

Incredible handling and instant performance. Great one of a kind design

Suggested Improvements

Hmm. I'm thinking. Put it this way. I will buy a new one someday maybe and it will be a c5. Someone somewhere is afraid to drive theirs and it'll be low mileage when I'm ready. Don't you have to love those guys who don't drive their vettes and just brag about the low miles on it. What a laugh

Love This Vette
By NyBob

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible

This is just a wonderful and fun car to drive. Everywhere I go and I pull up people are looking at the car like it is a rock star. This is my second Vette, the first was a C-4 model and this baby blows it away. GM needs to start working on building their cars like they do the Vette if they want to stay in business

Favorite Features

Power, looks, and fuel usage.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders and an automatic retractable roof.

1998 convert auto Borla triple-black
By Dennis D'Andrea

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible

Trouble-free. Drive it from eastern Long Island to Corvettes at Carlisle, PA, every year. Nearly 10 years old but only 19,000 or so miles. Four-inch Borla pipes look and sound great.

Favorite Features

Convertible. Borla exhaust system. Triple black. Memory seats. Digital information center.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements raise the price point. I think Corvette had it right in 1998.

Brand new '98
By des7823

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I just bought a '98 Vette. It is a great looking car and is very, very fun to drive. The performance is awesome. A couple of negatives are the driver's seat doesn't quite lock in place all the time, the passenger window doesn't seal really well and lets in air noise around 90mph. Also, the check engine light has come on after I drove it hard. I plan to fix up these minor issues, because I love the car and the looks and performance make up for any other flaws.

Favorite Features

Again, the looks and performance are the best in the world.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger's window leaks air and needs a tighter seal.

So Far, So Good
By Mark Christ

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible

I have dreamed about owning a red Corvette convertable since I was a young boy. At the age of 53 and after selling my parent's home when they passed away, I finally had enough disposable income to purchase the car of my dreams. I think of my parents almost every time I drive the car, I'm sure they are smiling down at me, knowing how 'Corvette crazy' I've always been. I live in the upper midwest so I only have about 6-7 months a year to drive it so I do so as much as possible. The car had 34,000 miles on it when I bought it and in the 18 months since I've owned it I have put on another 15,000 miles. Except for a bad O2 sensor and an ocassional check engine light glitch it has performed well

Favorite Features

The awesome shape, color, look (especially with the top down), comfort and performance. It always brings on the looks from other drivers.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the automatic transmission would start out in 1st gear instead of 2nd without having to manually select the 1 position. An on/off switch for this would be great.

Long term owner
By Lynn Hondo

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I bought vehicle new in 1998. It has given me many years of almost trouble free performance. I've only had two problems; a sensor in the active handling system failed, which was replaced under warranty, and I encountered a steering wheel lockup. There was a recall for the steering wheel lock up that I had not taken care of, so I was somewhat at fault for having an untimely lock up. I've read where a number of people have had the lock up. In my case the car was in a parking lot, I got in to leave and the steering wheel would not unlock. Had to tow into dealer for fix. The car is quick, and hard acceleration is a real kick. My driving style results in mileage of 24 miles per gallon.

Favorite Features

Driving performance. quick off the line, 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Very comfortable seats. (sport model option)

Suggested Improvements

Reduce inside noise. Tires result in lots of road noise. Leather finish on seats wears off easily.

Loving Life After Divorce
By Rusty

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Bought my first Vette at 25 yrs old for 22K. Loving the car in every sense. The seat of the pants feel is amazing and other the a few mechanical problems she is alot fun to cruise in. Headlight gear bad at 42K, Turn signal bulb bad 3 times in 20K, coolant overflow tank replaced at 46K, Oil pressure sensor replaced at 43K, belt tensioner at 58K and battery at 55K. I push this car like a sports car should be pushed and at 65K I can still muster up a 13.4 @104mph at the track. Only mods are a catback exhaust and Blackwing Intake. GM keep up the good work and I cannot wait to see what the 2006 Z06 can put down for a 1/4 mile time!!!

Favorite Features

Sleek Styling, Traction control off switch, 350Hp and the looks you'll get on the street.

Suggested Improvements

HUD standard equipment...That's it!!!!

Smokem '98
By PC'98 Vette

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I have enjoyed driving this car. I have driven other sports cars and this by far exceeds the exhiliration I have ever felt before. Thank you Chevrolet.

Favorite Features

The acceleration from 90+ mph. The gas mileage is much better than I could've expected. It's a head turner.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestion is a cup holder but I have taken care of that situation.

Attention Getter
By Warren

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I didn't mean to buy it, but the test drive sold it. I'm 50 now, and wanted a Corvette since I was a teenager. I've never had a car that has received so much attention. Mechanics come out and talk about it. People in the waiting room talk about it. My good friend shook my hand to tell me it's the best thing I ever bought. My wife and daughter want to drive it all the time. People at work talk about it. People on the road act like they want to race. Don't buy this car if you dislike attention.

Favorite Features

Looks, perfomance, and many guages which convey a lot of information

Suggested Improvements

None

Only a Vette
By sean.c

1998 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Convertible

98 Vette Ragtop with the six speed. Unbeatable performance-to-dollar ratio. Bought it with 17k miles on it; the Delco 12 CD-changer never has worked, the steering column lock failed first at 18,000 miles and then again six months later. Both times got no help from GM (dealer and corporate), $500 per repair out of my pocket. Finally found a company out of Texas that sold an aftermarket bypass and had the local Vette shop install it. Problem solved. The performance and status outweigh the GM quirks. After my experience with GM customer service I would NEVER again purchase a GM product...except, of course, another Vette. Go for the extended warranty next time, I'll need it!

Favorite Features

Performance! Your arrival anywhere is an event. Utility: the trunk swallows my huge ice hockey bag, even with the trunk down. Try that with the M3!

Suggested Improvements

Electronics, steering column lock, cup holder!, shifter, GM customer service.