Used 1997 Chevrolet Corvette Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 - (13 reviews )

Fun car to drive, if the bugs die.
By hand77

1997 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I'll start by being fair, the mileage of my car was low, and I got an extremely good price from a friend. With that said, the car was awesome, most of the time. It was a blast to drive, got compliments everywhere I went (nassau blue color), and was just plain sexy to look at. But the rear end went bad, transmission needed replace, wiper motor never worked, driver side window motor went bad. Yes I did hot rod the car, but with it being a Corvette, you would thing it would hold up a tad better. To each their own, the car was a blast, but I won't own another C5 base car.

Favorite Features

Styling, speed, attention, plenty of leg room

Suggested Improvements

Wipers, radio

Still the best performance bargain
By Inaband

1997 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

This C5 is my 4th corvette, found on the net. Owned 5 years so far, no major problems, just oil changes, antifreeze and reg maintenance. 28 mpg highway w/ 6 speed. I drive it to club shows and functions, awesome car for the money.

Favorite Features

6 speed and Billy Boat exhaust music. Comfortable on trips...excellent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Stock shifter not so great, but plenty of aftermarket ones available.

Great over 30 weekend car
By Jeff Holbrook LI

1997 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

I have little to complain and a lot to praise about this car. It's a 6-speed. All the power, handling, and looks are better than any other car I've owened or driven. Rides like a Buick and gas mileage is better than my wife's '04 Accord. Love the car.

Favorite Features

Drive train

Fast, fun, and great looking
By hanky

1997 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

All around this car is absolutely amazing. It is great for hobby drivers that want to cruise on the weekends or a everyday driver. The interior of the car is functional and very convient. The Bose sound system makes you feel like your at a concert. The power seats may be my favorite option in the car, it allows drivers all of sizes to sit comfortably. As you move to the exterior the car sits on beefy 19 inch rims that reflect like mirrors. The sleek angles and designs of the vehicle makes heads turn at every corner. Punching the accelerator leaves everything in the rear view. I recommend this car very highly, it's always been my dream car and has lived up to every expectation.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage my car has averaged 27 mpg over its life!Thick leather steering wheel, Chrome wheels, Bose sound system, 5.8 monster V8, super adjustable leather seats, glass roof, computer system, climate control system that can roast a turkey in the winter, and freeze you in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt isnt the most comfortable (racing harness type), I cant think of anything else it's that good folks!

'97 Vette
By Heyref13

1997 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe

Great driving fun! Good comfort in a sports car. Attention to detail is excellent. Truck space better than most passenger cars. It's hard on tires. Electronics need overall improvement and are expensive to repair. For the first model year of a completely redesigned car, it is Grandpa's dream come true! I would buy another Corvette in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

Fast, fun, and attractive automobile. Great seating and comfort in a true sports car.

Suggested Improvements

The computerized systems still need work. Check reliability in newer versions of this American dream car.