1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:
Keeping her till something out-does her
By LT4 ya on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in February of 1997. It was my every day driver for four years. I would describe the driving experience as unique. You feel like you're in a cockpit of a jet when you first get in. The relative heavy weight and heavy steering due to wide tires can make driving a chore sometimes. However these traits also make the car feel very stable on smooth roads. Bumpy roads do unsettle the front end and the interior squeeks. Consider this if it's going to be a daily driver. Removing the top does cause "shimmying" over uneven roads. The motor is smooth, though it will frighten many female drivers especially in first and second gears.

Great LT4
By TerryB on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've had this car about 2 months now. It had 20,000 miles on it purchased when I got it. Great car to drive. It attracts a lot of attention. I'm in my 50's, and teenagers want to race frequently in thier Camaros or Trans Ams. It is fast, gets great gas mileage, and a very good looking car. It has the Grand Sport engine, the Grand Sport wheels, and the Z-51 performance suspension. It has a 6-speed manual transmission. That is the only way an LT4 engine was sold. I am very pleased, and now, can't imagine being without a Corvette. It's about time after 38 years of driving!

Happy Owner
By 2 Corvette Owner on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

Very happy with my 96 coupe. I do know what everyone is talking about when the top comes off-- lots of shimming. I actually pulled over the first time because I thought something was wrong with the car. Most of all I think the car is awsome with its power and looks. I would recommend this car for anyone except for young adults because they would get in trouble. If you do buy this car own another car because you will not want to drive this car in the rain or snow or park near anyone that may hurt it. This car will surely be a classic.

Back to a Bowtie?
By Slacker on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

After owning a virtually problem free 1992 5.0 mustang for 8.5 yrs, I "settled" for my automatic vette. The automatic effectively removes the "fun factor" from this car. Very benign, boaring handling at best. I drove a manual but didn't buy it. Vibration through the steering wheel and dash shimmy are due to low structural integrity. Have the conv. X frame braces installed. In 18 mos, I have replaced water pump, Intake manifold gasket, starter, and climate control unit under warranty. Young chev. and Steakley Chev. service suck. Corvettes of Dallas in Carrolton, TX does quality work. Bottom Line: Awsome with the 6-speed. Boaring with the automatic

Shimmy
By Taylor Michael Sr. on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is our 2nd corvette, last one was a 90 coupe. This 96 has the same body style. With top off, excessive shimmy that shows up in steering wheel, no matter what speed the car is going. Have set tire pressure acording to mfg. specs. 30 to 35 psi range. Had the front tires balanced at 80 mph. Still have the shimmy in steering wheel. I've found no lose parts in front end or any damage, with car having only 27,100 miles at time of purchase. With top on there is no shimmy. Called local Chevy dealer who has a service rep. that knows corvette's, I suppose, he said it is normal? The 90 coupe that we had before, was fine with the top off! Can anybody help?