Awesome Car
By wvanepps on
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 2dr Coupe (6.2L 8cyl 7M)
I also own a 2013 BMW M3 Coupe which I compare every car against (one of the best cars ever made IMO) and this is the first American car I have bought in a long time. I purchased a Laguna Blue Z51 manual with the performance exhaust and magnetic ride control. The Stingray drives, handles, and looks awesome. I cannot even get gas without a crowd gathering around the car. The acceleration of the car is extremely fast and the noise it makes in sport or track mode is mind blowing. The manual transmission shifts smoothly and the clear removable hard top does a great job of blocking heat. I have never considered buying a Corvette before but I am really glad I did.
Favorite Features
Performance, removal hard top, appearance, manual transmission, performance exhaust, magnetic ride control, upscale interior, stereo system
Suggested Improvements
The rear side of the wheel wells are lined with some sort of hard plastic which make a lot of noise when small gravel or rocks from the road are kicked up to them from the tires - need to replace with some sort of noise absorbing material. Paint has some orange peel in some areas. Need to add some sort of air venting system to the hatchback / trunk as you cannot close it without opening a door due to the air seals being so tight. Automatic wipers should be standard on a car that costs this much.
By wvanepps
on 06/19/14 08:28 AM (PDT)

Chuckdi: I would have to disagree with you about the M3 not being track ready. BMW makes the M3 for track and everyday driving. It is mode select-able like the Stingray - M mode is race track mode and it is fantastic around a track. Also, the Stingray only switches to 4 cylinder mode if you put it in economy mode. All other modes (touring, sport, track) stay in 8 cylinder mode at all times. I never take it out of sport or track mode though. I also get about 27-30 MPG on the highway in sport mode and a little better if I put in in economy mode (which I never do anymore). I would have never purchased a previous version Corvette (C6 or lower). I have always respected their performance but I was never impressed with the looks and the interior was horrible compared to a European sports car. Overall I am very pleased with the new C7 Corvette and I am very happy that I purchased it. I think GM has accomplished what they set out to do with attracting a buyer like myself.

By rougestingray
on 06/04/14 19:15 PM (PDT)

Well chuckdi, I've owned the new Stingray since March and will be submitting a review shortly but felt a need to respond to your comment. The facts are that 90% of us guys in our 30's and 40's that have been purchasing 911's and BMW M3's in the past would never have owned a C5 or C6 for a multitude of reasons. You point out the C7's weight gain but fail to state it is 57% stiffer than the C6 which is a HUGE deal by the way. I could go on and on about the C6, crappy interior, Chevy Cobalt steering wheel, floppy seats, lack of feedback, hood you can't see over, ho hum looks and gold chain/retirement home reputation among others. The C6 doesn't compare in any way to the new C7 and the national and international press reviews bare this out. We also wouldn't buy a real sports car with a slush-box automatic. I'm going to guess that you are in the typical 50-60+ age group of the average C6 buyer. I can appreciate you being loyal to the brand but if GM hadn't made massive improvements in that car in every area the C7 would have been the last corvette made. Thankfully they hit a home run and I'm sure there will be many more generations to come. I'm certainly proud to be an American Corvette owner. I decided against buying a near new 911 for this car and don't regret it for a second.

By chuckdi
on 05/25/14 01:07 AM (PDT)

I owned a silver 011 Corvette coupe. The new 014 Stingray is 90 pounds heavier even though GM brags about saving 120 pounds from an aluminum chassis. Although my 011 Corvette coupe produced 436 HP, GM rated it at 190 MPH top speed. I got 27 MPG on the freeway with a automatic transmission. You can't compare a BMW M3 to any late model Corvette, because a BMW M3 is not race track ready like any late model Corvette. Lastly, my 011 Corvette coupe didn't have a flip-flop engine (8 pistons on 4 pistons off) like the Stingray.