2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Consumer Review: Stung by quality issues and se

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Consumer Review

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Z51 Coupe (6.2L V8 7-speed Manual)

Stung by quality issues and serious defects
By firemark on

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 2dr Coupe (6.2L 8cyl 7M)

Edmunds asked me to update the review since I first posted, see the original comments below.

It took over 6 months for GM and the dealer to replace the infotainment system and required multiple follow up calls and threats of lemon law suit to get it resolved. At least now it's working as designed. However the design is awful and the owners guide instructions are poorly written.

I've had it service every 2,500 miles and until last service was at the Turnersville Chevrolet where I bought it. Recently I moved about 5 miles away, no longer in walking distance to the dealer. To my surprise the dealer refuses to provide a rental car replacement... At my cost, unless it's for warranty service. Each service calll required a full day and lots of prompting at 5pm to get my car bake. Most times it was not done and required another full day for service.

The last time I switched to Pellegrino Chevrolet for service and couldn't believe the difference. I drooped off the car at 5pm, was out the door in 5 minutes with a rental that was waiting for me, was called at 10:30 am the next day that service was done and when I came back to pick it up, the receptionist took about 5 minutes before I was on my way.

The remaining issue is the front brakes still squeal a shrill ring when stopping at very low speed. The Turnersville dealer told me several times this was normal... It's a race car!

Original review:
I've had my z51 automatic for 2 months now and just over 800 miles... minus the 10 days it sat at the dealer for replacement of the torque tube and bad bearings.
My neighbor called the rattler due to all the noise from under the car.
The infotainment system is full of bugs, loudly prompts " Please say a command" at random times. The nav screen goes haywire like a 50's TV set and the temp setting controls are awful and won't maintain a constant temp.
GM now acknowledged the system issues but has no fix, stating they "may" have a fix in late February.
The steering design is poor where tight turns at low speed are lumpy, yet the GM manual says this is "normal".

• Fuel economy

• Navigation
  • Purchase cost
  • Resale value
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By mpaulik
on 02/19/14 15:44 PM (PST)

I have a z-51 also with 2000miles. Major wheel chatter/bumping problem.also, clutch now being replaced. No fix for chatter and GM legal states "normal characteristic of vehicle" and won't take back or exchange it for non z-51. Considering lemon law or class action suit to resolve. Many others having same issues. Any interest?