Used 1996 Chevrolet Corsica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Corsica - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Corsica

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

Good deal
By Tyler

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

My '96 Corsica is my first car as I'm only 16 years old. I was looking for a good, reliable car with relatively low miles for a fair price. I bought my Corsica on May 2, 2006 with only 87,000 miles for only $1,950. 3,000 miles later and I've only had one problem-- The 'Service Engine Soon' light came on and my mechanic found nothing wrong with the car. He reset the computer and it has not since turned on again. Very comfortable car that doesn't break my tight budget for gas. I consistently get about 27-30 MPG. Stock speakers are amazing, especially for being 10 years old! I would recommend this car to any teenager or anyone on a budget or just someone looking for a good, inexpensive commuter!

Favorite Features

Power locks, daytime running lights, power from the 4-cylinder, back seat space, and comfort! Reliability so far (knock on wood) All my friends say how much they like my car. Oh and the stock speakers! I was so surprised how loud they can play and how much they can bump for being 10 years old!

Suggested Improvements

Headlights and windshield wiper control knobs. It took me a while for me to figure them out, and they look weird. Also, make the gas cover be a remote release from inside the car instead of the flip open cover (security reasons) Paint is chipping in spots, but hey it's 10 years old. I do love my car

Love my Corsica
By nancy110339

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

I love my Corsica. I previously owned a 1990 Corsica and searched high and low for a 1996 knowing it was the last year Chevy made them. I wanted another because the first was so reliable and went almost 200K miles before I sold it. The body was giving out, not the engine. And the buyer drove it another 2 years before he sold it. I have not been disappointed with the 1996 either. Very few repairs. Just normal routine maintenance. Still an issue with rotors and with head gaskets as the 1990, but if the job is done right, it will go for thousands of miles after. Almost no mechanical issues. The body holds up well. Only the gas cover and the area around the keyhole for the truck are rust issues.

Favorite Features

Its reliability is unmatched compared to any other vehicle I have owned. Good mid-size and not bad looking. Great value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Reinforcment or stronger hinge for gas cover and need for something to deter rust around the trunk key hole. Both of mine had issues there and so does my daughter's 1995 Corsica. Also, better rotors

Top Performer even as a 4 Cylinder!
By CatInMyLap

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

Car was bought used for $1450 [base price] with 65,000 miles. Now have over 91,000 on her. She's been a real jewel. Formerly a rental car for 2 years then a private owner had her until myself. Only first problem 2 yrs. ago, was that one plug was stuck when I went for a tuneup. Mechanics couldn't get loose. Used "Deep Creep" sprayed on it while it was off but hot. Got plug out carefully not stripping threads in engine head. Today, long overdue, changed plugs again stuck but got loose....purrs like a kitten...35- 40 miles to the gallon still....absolutely love her as much as I loved my first car 68 Plymouth Barricuda. Chipping paint obviously manufacturers flaw.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, accelleration, easy to work on somewhat, comfortable interior for long distance driving.

Like a lemon
By dean

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

Owned the car for 8 years and had nothing but trouble from the start, replaced everything in car but the engine. it was in a shop for repairs every month and I went through 2 alternaters and 2 transmissions and the engine leaks coolent to list a couple things. The interior is very plain and it has poor gas mileage compaired to other cars I own. I have always taken care of the car and did everything the mechanics recemended so I thought I would have a car that would last a while. the only good thing about this car is that it is cheap and doesnt rust. The AC was the first thing to go in it but I noticed that happens a lot in other GM cars also. I would strongly recomend not buying this car.

Favorite Features

GM with V6 3.1, has good pick-up and has no rust on the car.

She's Been Good To Me
By dougelser

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

For what it is -- a very inexpensive family vehicle -- this car has been great to me. Bought it in 97 with 24K and have put 120K more on it myself. NEVER have had any drivetrain trouble at all. The 3.1 V6 is a solid motor. Only had to replace alternator and radiator. However, the braking system is weak and I have had to put a LOT of sets of brake pads on. To be fair, though, I have driven the heck out of this thing. I drive hard and fast about everywhere I go (except in school zones and neighborhoods!!) and she's been right there with me.

Favorite Features

Good motor, reliable, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

None - they don't make the darn thing anymore, so it's a moot point!